One punch and knock your opponent out

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is it false confidence? I never said you could ALWAYS pull it off on someone, but a BJJ blue belt who can consistently nail their fat, muscular, skinny, short, tall, aggressive, sneaky, gi, or nogi classmates with a Kimura setup has a very good chance of being able to pull it off on someone who is untrained.

The biter? Not so much.
I read it as him agreeing with your two "you can't" statements.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, and either alcohol is involved or the guy getting knocked out is significantly smaller than the guy knocking him out.
how are you measuring alcohol consumption from a vid

and yes a high chance that one or bot6h have been drinking as that most fights

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
how are you measuring alcohol consumption from a vid

and yes a high chance that one or bot6h have been drinking as that most fights

I'm fairly certain I know a drunk person when I see one. Even if they have some other condition that causes them to stumble around, a one punch knockout shouldn't be a surprise.

Of course, there are YouTube videos where they have the beverages in their hands. Like this one:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are those things? Could you explain in more detail?

You don't have to

- spar in the ring. You can spar outside the ring.
- wrestle on the mat. You can wrestle outdoor.

Also will you take a

- class without midterm and final exams?
- test and don't care about your score?
Any of a number of partner application drills, which can include types of sparring.

I get it that you enjoy the competition. You practice a method that has that as a heavy focus. It makes sense, and if you enjoy it, do it.

but don’t make the tired old mistake of deciding that you have THE answer figured out and therefore everyone must train how you train. Life doesn’t work that way.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Look up dog brothers.

And.

The rule set did not make those Chinese masters loose. Not being able to fight decided that.
Most of them are out of shape, they think they can do it, but they really can't. Also, being in Hong Kong for the first 20 years of my life, I'd seen my share of those so called masters. All talk, every single one of them. All follow straightly the original form created from hundreds of years ago, they never stop and think and improve. Xu Zhiaodong really proofed that.

I remember when Bruce Lee came back to Hong Kong, he stirred up a big scene because he created his own style by combining the best of a few........Wing Chung fist punching, boxing hands and footwork, Tae Kwon Do kicks. So many people challenged him and did they got beat up. Bruce Lee really changed martial arts......until UFC. I picked a Tae Kwon Do school that threw all the traditional forms away and follow the Bruce Lee style, at the time, that was one of the very few schools that do that and we did a lot of sparring.

I don't want to say anything bad about other kung fu styles as I have not learn them, but I did learn Wing Chung. You seriously think it's practical to use "sticky hands"? Most of the movement is useless, the ONLY two thing that I actually practice a lot even today is the Wing Chung punch. The punch that involves pivoting the wrist at the last moment to add the force of the punch. It's hard to practice, takes a while to master this. The other one is the low kick that literally step on the knee of the opponent.

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You seriously think it's practical to use "sticky hands"?
I'm gonna go with "yes" having practically applied skills from that. Ironically, I don't think there's a lot of application to boxing; but for the sorts of upright grappling that tend to be the beginning of a fight? Yes.

Kind of like how there's a practical use to a speed bag.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with "yes" having practically applied skills from that. Ironically, I don't think there's a lot of application to boxing; but for the sorts of upright grappling that tend to be the beginning of a fight? Yes.

Kind of like how there's a practical use to a speed bag.
I don't see usefulness of sticky hands of Wing Chung being practical fighting with someone that move around with good footwork.( which a lot of other styles have particular MMA and boxing).

There was a wing chung fighter in UFC2 against a grappler, it did not end well fast. Grappler shoot at or below the waste of the opponent, sticky hands are useless. More importantly, Wing Chung very much based on standing in one position. You charge the wing chung, it's easy to knock them off balance. I only learn a little while on wing chung and not an expert, but I don't know of any real footwork from wing chung.

wing chung is not all bad, I practice their punch and stepping kick on the knee. The punch is very good using the knuckle of the baby finger and the wrist motion to literally nutch the baby knuckle to hit. That generate the max power. I spent a lot of time practicing it, it's not easy to get, but it's very good. I just pick only the technique that is good to practice.

Please note I keep talking about Wing Chung is ONLY BECAUSE I learn it before, I don't want to say about others because I don't know enough. I am not singling out Wing Chung.

Last edited:

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have very little knowledge regarding kung fu. The only kung fu I trained in was southern style Eagle Claw and that was many years ago. But not all that many years ago I was quite capable of one punch knockouts, I had the speed and the power. But now being crippled up from rheumatoid arthritis I can't make a proper fist. But I can still do a number of other dirty things. But a one punch knockout in the real world is still a crap shoot. Rather than a one punch knockout I'd prefer a dozen punch knockout.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have very little knowledge regarding kung fu. The only kung fu I trained in was southern style Eagle Claw and that was many years ago. But not all that many years ago I was quite capable of one punch knockouts, I had the speed and the power. But now being crippled up from rheumatoid arthritis I can't make a proper fist. But I can still do a number of other dirty things. But a one punch knockout in the real world is still a crap shoot. Rather than a one punch knockout I'd prefer a dozen punch knockout.
Agree.

I feel you, injury adds up, you can keep practicing and get very good when young, but those repetitive motion practice( be it punching or kicking) wear on your body and you get arthritis when getting old. I am with you. I am doing moderate exercise, don't make it too long and too hard, but I am doing in almost everyday. Just persistence.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But now being crippled up from rheumatoid arthritis I can't make a proper fist.
This is why I believe the palm strike is important. Even if one may have difficult to hold a fist during old age, a palm edge strike can still finish a fight.

Karate_chop.jpg

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why I believe the palm strike is important. Even if one may have difficult to hold a fist during old age, a palm edge strike can still finish a fight.

View attachment 26889
Good point, also Ridge hand of Tae kwon Do.

I practice a lot on this Ridge hand. Very much like hook punch, just with open hand as shown. After a while, I can hit quite hard when add the feet and hip and shoulder into it.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How is it false confidence? I never said you could ALWAYS pull it off on someone, but a BJJ blue belt who can consistently nail their fat, muscular, skinny, short, tall, aggressive, sneaky, gi, or nogi classmates with a Kimura setup has a very good chance of being able to pull it off on someone who is untrained.

The biter? Not so much.
This can be said about any art, against an untrained fighter.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
do i take it your position is that sport isnt part of our reality, that's very profound grass hopper, is it a wormhole to another dimension do you think
For entertainment young Padawan, not reality...this is the real world we live in, not fantasy...you know like sport arts

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This can be said about any art, against an untrained fighter.

I disagree. In karate for example you’re simply not going full blast with bigger and stronger people on a consistent basis. You’re also heavily dividing your training time with kata and (frankly) archaic techniques like the reverse punch and the various “blocks”.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. In karate for example you’re simply not going full blast with bigger and stronger people on a consistent basis. You’re also heavily dividing your training time with kata and (frankly) archaic techniques like the reverse punch and the various “blocks”.
Oh I see, back to putting down Karate. We get it, you sucked at Karate.

But by all means, keep dogging on Karate...I mean it is the only art Martial Talk allows people to bash on, so have at it.

Last edited:

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is true that if you can knock someone out the fight is over. I suggest excessive handstands and rotating your hands outward and inward while in a handstand hold (against a wall is fine starting out). This develops the hands and arms so that you can deliver power. Wrist curls and extensions and rolling them while in a plank or whatever body weight will develop your hands and wrists so that you can deliver extreme force. Some hardening is necessary so strike a tree lightly but constantly until you can hit it very hard without damage to your hand. At this point you can strike any hard part of a person and it will hurt them more than you. You should practice your punch of course, you need great technique.
You want power from the feet in the hands so try to figure that out, but basically it's like when a bicycle hits something -- you fly over the handlebars. Thus, you want to step forward and twist your shoulder that's behind you forward (look up videos of punching or the cross punch). Karate master talked about the gut being loose but solid and strong, but the point is that the forces move through your gut from your lower body so you want to get that punch power through your body without any power "bleeding" or power loss. For this you need very solid and strong torque or twisting strength and speed but midline strength is probably most important. If your body isn't a pillar taht can support weight and maintain strict form then it's just going to fall apart. Practicing the punch itself is of course necessary to feel out what muscles to use and start developing them and their coordination.
One arm push ups are very good due to their similarity to the punch in terms of muscles used, and the asymmetry of it is perfect. As well you should punch the ground in a plank position when your wrists and hands have developed. The point is to develop strength power and solidity so lay down a rug or something, no need to hit something hard. The integrity of your punch and fist to shoulder will be called into question with this exercise, and that is good. Once you can punch in this form like you run or jump rope or run in place (very little ground contact time, can maintain elevation and push off the ground even for a jump using the fists or a single fist, great power) then you can knock pretty much anyone out no matter where you hit them.
All in all I think 2 years is enough time to become a knockout king if you have some rudimentary athleticism. It's important to focus on how solid and structurally strong your body, bones, joints, muscles, tendons are. Handstands and wrist exercises first, then tree striking and striking the air to develop technique and form specific muscles (high high repetitions and vigor) and of course center of balance, then one arm push ups, one arm push up jump switches (from 1 arm to the other), and striking the ground while in plank (supporting one's weight on their fists and graduating to "jogging in place" with fists).

To whomever is reading: Let me know if you can "jog in place" in plank with fists. A video would be cool.

Diagen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You need to train your body with progressions in frequency and relative intensity, and for over-all athleticism if you want your hands to heal. I suggest "knees over toes guy"'s stuff since you seem to have that arthritic inclination and the "animal movement" guy's stuff. Once your hands are warmed up they're not bad right? That's why you should workout your hands and forearms all the time and in different ways, at low to mid intensity most of the time. Or just be a cripple. Doing less is more damaging.

Latest Discussions