One punch and knock your opponent out

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really don’t understand your follow-up question about whether some of us think we could win against an MMA competitor. I don’t see the connection or relevance of that question.
This

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why are you using force as a measurement?

Alright, everybody, this question goes out to everyone here that is not trained in MMA:

You versus an MMA fighter. The MMA fighter has to follow the rules. You don't. The only thing you can't do is pick up a weapon. Other than that, you can do whatever you want.

Again, this question goes out to those of you who are not trained in MMA. Who here thinks they would win?
how old is he and what weight, if he is 70 and 140lbs il have him no trouble

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is hard to say which way to measure the punching power is right. The point is if everyone is being measured the same way, the same standard, it does give you an idea of the relative power.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is hard to say which way to measure the punching power is right. The point is if everyone is being measured the same way, the same standard, it does give you an idea of the relative power.
that would possibly be true, some are using calibrated lab equipment and some are using a speak your weight machine at a fair ground, strangely the results dont seem to correlate, cant understand why that could be

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't put much into measuring punching power. No matter how hard someone can hit, that person still has to have a way of landing the punch, while dealing with incoming strikes and the risks of take downs and throws.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
that would possibly be true, some are using calibrated lab equipment and some are using a speak your weight machine at a fair ground, strangely the results dont seem to correlate, cant understand why that could be
If there is no standard, then it's meaningless.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't put much into measuring punching power. No matter how hard someone can hit, that person still has to have a way of landing the punch, while dealing with incoming strikes and the risks of take downs and throws.
Absolutely agree, it's only one way of measure of power, nothing about knocking one out. To measure power, you have a chance to stand in front of the machine, get ready, stand in perfect distance, aim and punch. It is a measure at the optimal situation. In real fight, target move around, if the distance is not optimize, even if you land the punch, it doesn't have the max power. Punching power and one punch knock out is "almost" a two different thing ( of cause, if you are heavy puncher, chances are much better to have a one punch knock out......of cause).

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can be interesting academically. But it only tells part of the story.

Im not convinced the numbers are terribly meaningful however. If landed cleanly on a good target and with good timing, a less powerful punch can be more destructive than a more powerful one. My punch does not need to be more powerful than my enemy’s. It only needs to be powerful enough to be effective in combination with my skill to land it.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not every MMA person is a champion competitor. Some are hobbyists and have no chance, nor even desire, to be competitors. There are people who happen to train in an MMA gym who are no more skilled that anyone else. MMA does not automatically mean “***-kicker”.

In this case, I'm talking about competitors. And they don't necessarily have to be national level like UFC or Bellator. They could be competing in a local promotion.

I'm sure not everyone will agree because we all have different points of view on what the main predictor of the outcome of a fight is. But mine is physical fitness. In my mind, any and every technique in your repertoire is worthless if you get winded after a few seconds.

Competing in MMA requires exceptional physical conditioning that is not demanded of anyone that is not in competitive sports.

And then there's the actual experience that they have. Another strong predictor.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this case, I'm talking about competitors. And they don't necessarily have to be national level like UFC or Bellator. They could be competing in a local promotion.

I'm sure not everyone will agree because we all have different points of view on what the main predictor of the outcome of a fight is. But mine is physical fitness. In my mind, any and every technique in your repertoire is worthless if you get winded after a few seconds.

Competing in MMA requires exceptional physical conditioning that is not demanded of anyone that is not in competitive sports.

And then there's the actual experience that they have. Another strong predictor.
Well look at that. We can find some common ground. I don’t see anything to disagree with here.

My only caveat is to be careful of equating “would likely lose against youthful and athletic competitor who is probably training 20 or more hours a week” with “can’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag”. The two are not the same.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If punching power is worthless, then professional fighters wouldn't have more of it than the average person.
1st. No one is saying punching power is worthless.
2nd. Professional fighters are good a landing the punch and they learn how to land the punch before they worry about the power. Professional fighters don't always try to throw their hardest punch.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

its not demanded, but lots of people not in competitive sport have a very good level of it

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway. If I absolutely had to send a guy unconscious. I would choke them out.

It is more reliable.

Not to mention safer. You risk damaging or even breaking your hand by punching people. There's even a risk of infection if you break the skin of your hand, which is very possible via hitting their teeth.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cant comment on grappling. I don't practice grappling arts. Not enough experience...

Being able to one punch knock out doesn't mean too much if you can't land a hit. Means even less if your opponent catches your arm and hyper extendeds it... It seems kinda silly to rely on one thing, even if its effective...

Would be funny if their opponent one hit knocked them out first... or grapple them before they can land a one hit blow.

Latest Discussions