One punch and knock your opponent out

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Imagine that you and and your wife are hosting a barbecue at your place, and Bob from around the block says this to your wife right in front of you.

Are you going to write this off as him simply "disagreeing" with her, and then continue on with your day?

Because if you would, that maaannnnnn... I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your wife's next girls night out with the rest of the ladies when they discuss this.
And this justifies personal attacks? I’m a “dumb****” and have the “social skills of an autistic person”? Seriously?

I did find the question silly but I didn’t use that as an excuse to call you names. Why do you need to do that?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Imagine that you and and your wife are hosting a barbecue at your place, and Bob from around the block says this to your wife right in front of you.

Are you going to write this off as him simply "disagreeing" with her, and then continue on with your day?

Because if you would, then maaannnnnn... I'd love to be a fly on the wall at your wife's next girls night out with the rest of the ladies who were there when they discuss this.
I know Bob he's a jersey. I'm sure he wouldn't be invited in the first place.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And this justifies personal attacks? I’m a “dumb****” and have the “social skills of an autistic person”? Seriously?

I did find the question silly but I didn’t use that as an excuse to call you names. Why do you need to do that?

If nothing justified it before, this response definitely does!🤣😂😅

I'm just going to leave you with this, because your skull seems to be very thick one to get through: if you come at someone with aggression, then expect aggression in return.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright, everybody, this question goes out to everyone here that is not trained in MMA:

You versus an MMA fighter. The MMA fighter has to follow the rules. You don't. The only thing you can't do is pick up a weapon. Other than that, you can do whatever you want.

Again, this question goes out to those of you who are not trained in MMA. Who here thinks they would win?
Are you talking a current, pro MMA fighter or a 50 year old MMA hobbyist? If I have to fight a guy 25 years younger than I am and he's doing it for a living I think the odds are heavily in his favor. If we're gonna make it fair we need to alternate rounds between fighting and troubleshooting network problems or deploying Linux servers in a virtualized environment and a coin flip determines which we start with. If it's a 50 year old hobbyist I think I've got a reasonable chance of winning depending on how seriously he takes his training and how his physical condition compares to the average 50 year old martial arts hobbyist.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If nothing justified it before, this response definitely does!🤣😂😅

I'm just going to leave you with this, because your skull seems to be very thick one to get through: if you come at someone with aggression, then expect aggression in return.
You read my response as aggressive? Really? There was none intended. I did poke a bit at you with that question, I will admit. That happens a lot here in the forums. But it’s a real stretch to call that aggression.

And so you call names and make personal attacks. Hmm...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you talking a current, pro MMA fighter or a 50 year old MMA hobbyist? If I have to fight a guy 25 years younger than I am and he's doing it for a living I think the odds are heavily in his favor. If we're gonna make it fair we need to alternate rounds between fighting and troubleshooting network problems or deploying Linux servers in a virtualized environment and a coin flip determines which we start with. If it's a 50 year old hobbyist I think I've got a reasonable chance of winning depending on how seriously he takes his training and how his physical condition compares to the average 50 year old martial arts hobbyist.
You get it lol.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Here's the point I'm trying to make: someone is trying to say that if a fight has rules, then it's not a real fight.

I say that if you can win on the streets by only using techniques that are permitted within a particular combat sports, then the participants within that combat sports are in a real fight.

I can tell you that if you see real fights on the street, the only rule you're likely to see being broken might be groin shots.

I've never once seen anyone eye gouge or fish hook another person before.

You don't have to do any of that to beat a person in a real fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can tell you that if you see real fights on the street, the only rule you're likely you're likely to see being broken might be groin shots.
Real street fight .. definitely not a groin shot

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Real street fight. This is why you have kung fu forms fighting with benches. Still no groin shot

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another real street fight. Lots of chairs

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the point I'm trying to make: someone is trying to say that if a fight has rules, then it's not a real fight.
Ok, fair point and I think there is gray area there but point taken. Now this whole little issue I think comes from a video clip that you had posted. I’ll be honest in saying I don’t really get what you were trying to show by posting that clip. What did you intend would be the takeaway?

I say that if you can win on the streets by only using techniques that are permitted within a particular combat sports, then the participants within that combat sports are in a real fight.
Well they are In a fight yes. But it has controls and parameters to ensure some ultimate level of fairness and safety. But no denial, they are fighting. Sure.
I can tell you that if you see real fights on the street, the only rule you're likely you're likely to see being broken might be groin shots.

I've never once seen anyone eye gouge or fish hook another person before.

You don't have to do any of that to beat a person in a real fight.

I think it depends on the participants and the circumstances. If one person is being attacked on the street by someone who they perceive as intent on doing them bodily harm, who is bigger than they are and they feel a genuine sense of desperation, then “breaking the rules” is likely to happen more readily. So eye gouges, fishhooks, smashing them in the head with a rock, etc.

Can some people win against an attacker (not an agreed-to duel) without that kind of thing? Sure. Others? Maybe not. It depends.

I’ll go a step further and say that I really don’t understand your follow-up question about whether some of us think we could win against an MMA competitor. I don’t see the connection or relevance of that question. Hence, my earlier response to it.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I’ll go a step further and say that I really don’t understand your follow-up question about whether some of us think we could win against an MMA competitor. I don’t see the connection or relevance of that question. Hence, my earlier response to it.

If an MMA fighter can beat you by only using techniques that are allowed in UFC, Bellator, etc; then it's kind of impossible to dismiss their fights as "not real."

By the way, there were better ways to respond to that question.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't say that a groin shot was going to happen every time, I just said it's the one that's most likely.
I'm pretty sure I can find more video of people fighting with chairs than you can of fights where people get kicked in the groin. So in that light, If there's a chair a round and an option to do a groin kick. you will probably get hit with the chair.

Groin kicks require a specific distance in order to be successful with it. If the person is too close or too far, then there won't be any groin kicks that day unless you can create the necessary distance.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If an MMA fighter can beat you by only using techniques that are allowed in UFC, Bellator, etc; then it's kind of impossible to dismiss their fights as "not real."

By the way, there were better ways to respond to that question.
I personally don’t dismiss their fights as not real. I do recognize that they occur under a rule set and within certain parameters. I have never dismissed their skill sets nor general toughness as competitors. I also feel that @MetalBoar and @JowGaWolf have made valid points in their posts. Not every MMA person is a champion competitor. Some are hobbyists and have no chance, nor even desire, to be competitors. There are people who happen to train in an MMA gym who are no more skilled that anyone else. MMA does not automatically mean “***-kicker”. I am sure there are some against whom I could prevail, and others against whom I could not. But if the fellow is thirty years my junior and has the time to train like it’s a full-time job in preparation for his next championship bout, then of course the odds are in his favor. Who would think otherwise? This is not a surprise.

there probably were better ways I could have responded to that question. And of course there were better ways you could have responded as well. Meh.