One punch and knock your opponent out

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?
Most people will realize that can and will are not synonymous.
I know I can knock someone out with one strike.
I also know I cannot do it 100% of the time.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?
Well, if this were true, there would be MMA fighters who don't do grappling at all. Obviously, most high level fighters can knock out an opponent with one punch or kick, but not all the time.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
Sure... I can knock someone out with one punch. There is just no guarantee that I will always be fighting that certain someone... or that he won't eventually learn from it...

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Should people train the striking art before the grappling art?

IMO, since you have to deal with your opponent's punch, it makes no sense to jump into the grappling art without first train the striking art.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Should people train the striking art before the grappling art?

IMO, since you have to deal with your opponent's punch, it makes no sense to jump into the grappling art without first train the striking art.

That really depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is self defense, you don't need a striking art, since you can simply walk away from someone trying to hit you. You're only really in danger in a situation if a person grabs you and refuses to let you go.

If you're looking to become a professional fighter, it completely depends on how you began martial arts and what you prefer. In the end, you're going to have to learn both to be a competent fighter.

Your OP is laughable btw.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What if you don't? Have you ever felt the weight of a college wrestler? You know he is 180, but it's like trying to move a elephant!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If your goal is self defense, you don't need a striking art, since you can simply walk away from someone trying to hit you. You're only really in danger in a situation if a person grabs you and refuses to let you go.

If you're looking to become a professional fighter, it completely depends on how you began martial arts and what you prefer. In the end, you're going to have to learn both to be a competent fighter.

Your OP is laughable btw.
if you walk away from someone trying to punch you, you tend to get punched in the back of the head, running away can be a safer option, provided you can out run them, otherwise you get tripped and kicked

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score

Your thought?
your post tells me you have never had a real fight. Dojo sparring is not real fighting. People do grab you when they are close enough. you can´t always hold a person at arms length and bounce around like in some kung fu Wushu styles or Tae Kwon do. aint gonna happen. even putting someone in a simple head lock can screw the person up.
Tell you a funny story. This is true. I remember some years back i was sitting in an office & an old guy suddenly ran in shouting for help. straight after him ran in a guy who was about 40 with one arm. seriously. He punched the old guy in the face, then another guy who was near him stepped in & told him to leave the old man. so the one armed guy got more aggressive & i said get out now. He came towards me & next to me was a heavy glass ash tray (i do not smoke). His eyes looked straight at it so i sprung out my seat & pushed him away as i did he grabbed my jacket at below the elbow like you would in Judo. now i did not really want to beat up the guy but when he did that i had to react. got what he deserved but my point is never underestimate anyone or think you´ll punch a guy & that´s it.
The one armed guy came from a very infamouse family where i live known for violence & drugs. A few months later the one armed guy killed two tramps by cutting their throats. true story. he´s in jail now will never come out.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well, unless they surprise you with a punch out of nowhere. But then, once they do that, either you're knocked out/down or they're likely going to be in your grappling range.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How often do professional boxers, whose entire martial art is punching people in the face, actually successfully knock out their opponent with the first punch?

I can't imagine that I could ever achieve a level of punching skill to exceed Muhammad Ali.

Also, it's nice to have options for dealing with an aggressive person that don't risk permanent brain damage or death.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
agree to a point but sometimes you can´t walk away. I mean when i was a kid you would get jumped from the back, grabbed by the hair pulled to the ground & given a good kicking. dirty fighting. No Queensberry boxing rules on the streets.. also as a kid we fought with other guys from towns near us so they got to know you if you were game or not. if they came looking for you, you had to have a square go with them(a fight), anything else was seen as cowardice. just the way it was.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How often do professional boxers, whose entire martial art is punching people in the face, actually successfully knock out their opponent with the first punch?

I can't imagine that I could ever achieve a level of punching skill to exceed Muhammad Ali.
I think this isn’t a meaningful comparison. When you have two highly trained competitors who agree to meet and face each other in a competition, the parameters are very different from a more random encounter. The competitors are cautious and careful and don’t leave themselves open for a decisive strike. They know that their opponent is also highly trained and is prepared for the engagement, and so expect a robust defense. In addition, wearing boxing gloves changes the impact of the punch, making it less likely for a quick, one-strike knockout.

a bare-knuckle punch in a violent encounter outside of competition lacks the context of that cautious and careful face-off that is inherent in an agreed competiton. While there are certainly other factors that contribute to NOT having a successful one- punch knockout, I do believe it is a real possibility if you have been training your punches well. You don’t need to be a “better” puncher than Ali, in order to accomplish this.

I absolutely believe that I could knock someone out with one punch. I also believe that I could outright kill someone with one punch. But this does assume that I am able to land the strike optimally on an enemy who is trying to prevent me from doing so. So it is certainly not guaranteed. But the potential is definitely there. I try to not project my training to the public and so far as I know, I don’t have any local reputation as a “tough guy”. So any encounter that I might have would likely be against someone who is unaware of my training and who decides to initiate a conflict with me. I am not big nor imposing nor intimidating. That works in my favor. The other guy may simply be unaware of what is about to come at him, whether or not he has training himself.

Equilibrum32

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say learn striking first. Grappling can get picked up easier. Boxing especially needs to be learned the soonest, formal or not.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
a bare-knuckle punch in a violent encounter outside of competition lacks the context of that cautious and careful face-off that is inherent in an agreed competiton
What?? I think even some early Shotokan fighters would disagree with you.
To fight outside of a safe enviroment you need to be able to take it as well as give it. now a bare knuckle punch is not like in a dojo. not all punches will KO a fighter. even bare knuckle fights go rounds. look up UK bare knuckle boxing & Gypsy Irish fights.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What?? I think even some early Shotokan fighters would disagree with you.
To fight outside of a safe enviroment you need to be able to take it as well as give it. now a bare knuckle punch is not like in a dojo. not all punches will KO a fighter. even bare knuckle fights go rounds. look up UK bare knuckle boxing & Gypsy Irish fights.
Your point?

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
a bare-knuckle punch in a violent encounter outside of competition lacks the context of that cautious and careful face-off that is inherent in an agreed competiton.
simply waffle . not relevent to any fighting, competition or outside.
what is there to be cautious or careful about in a street fight or in competition. This backs up what i am saying all along on these threads. You are not training with full intent in most dojos so how can you fight outside without experience.
boxing teaches you this. I am repeating myself here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
simply waffle . not relevent to any fighting, competition or outside.
what is there to be cautious or careful about in a street fight or in competition. This backs up what i am saying all along on these threads. You are not training with full intent in most dojos so how can you fight outside without experience.
boxing teaches you this. I am repeating myself here.
I’m still not getting your point. You don’t feel a one-punch knockout, or even kill, is a possibility? Do I understand you correctly? Because I’m not sure what you are saying.

I never said it’s a guarantee. I said it’s a possibility. and it depends. Do you disagree with that?

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m still not getting your point. You don’t feel a one-punch knockout, or even kill, is a possibility? Do I understand you correctly? Because I’m not sure what you are saying.

I never said it’s a guarantee. I said it’s a possibility. and it depends. Do you disagree with that?
I am saying unless you are a conditioned guy who can take a good slap or two you will go down fast. most thugs on drugs or with a good chin can take it and a lot before they go down. you might be lucky but that happens in how many fights? how many real fights have you had? just so i know you understand me.

Latest Discussions