Olympic Taekwondo?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The brackets have been posted. Don't forget if you want to follow the action live, to subtract 15 hours (for those of us on the west coast) from the posted start times. So for instance, Charlotte Craig's first fight (Vs Switzerland) is at 7:15PM Pacific Time Tuesday night.

http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/ has links to the brackets and times.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope the USA does very well in Taekwondo. I think it helps the visibility of the sport to have the Lopez family marketed as the first family. It does not hurt that Ms. Craig is also very photogenic.

What we do with that visibility is up to us-do we capitalize on this opportunity and teach true Taekwondo to a whole new group of interested students or do we let the moment pass by saying it is just a small part of the art? You decide!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is the only place to see them.

TPE defeated COL in the first fight of the night, 0 to -1

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first fight was very boring. Both girls seemed very gun shy. The third fight was pretty decent. Looking forward to watching Charlotte Craig hopefully win!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charlotte was impressive in comparison to many, so far. I even saw her throw a puch. All kidding aside, it's a good start for her.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Charlotte was impressive in comparison to many, so far. I even saw her throw a puch. All kidding aside, it's a good start for her.

I agree. I thought she looked pretty relaxed too.

Do you think the GER woman's kicks to the head should have counted?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Big time congrats to Charlotte. Her next fight is at 12:30AM Pacific vs VEN. She looked awesome in her first fight scoring on 2 counter and 2 hard off the line kicks.

Cuba got totally screwed. Watching that fight was like watching Nia Vs Diana. WOW!!!

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Canada's Ivett Gonda was robbed!

(Okay, I'm biased. I admit it. ;))

Seriously, though, she landed a few kick I though should have counted. Not to take anything away from the Swedish fighter.

All in all, I'm enjoying the competitions so far.

Karine Sergerie for gold! :D

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So far there seems to be a lot more action than I remember seeing last Olympics. It is nice to actually see kicks being thrown instead of just watching the stare down!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It also looks like they are all wearing the new hand guards but no one has on the new foot guards. Have the foot guards been dropped? Are the gloves required?

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just watching the quarter-finals match between Thailand and Vietnam. The Vietnam fighter called a time out, and her coach sprayed something on her leg under her shin guard. Can anyone tell me what that was? I'm curious.

Thanks in advance. :)

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was getting annoyed at the girl in the round before Diana Lopeze's round.She'd do a little fist pump when she thought she scored. Well Diana did it too....hehe, her kihap got on my nerves. I thinking I hope I don't sound like that during our sparring.....Diana's second point was a nice move though

Latest Discussions