Olympic Taekwondo?

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, it's time for the 2008 Summoer Olympic Games. This means some TKD action. hopefully the crowd won't boo like the last time. (maybe thats why it did not get much tv time- last time.) I have had this conversation with my instructor. Do you think TKD becoming an olympic sport has helped or hurt the art.

Last edited:

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by 'helped'

Certainly helped the visibility and popularity

Probably hurt the self-defense focus of the Art.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Properlarity yes, Self Defense wise it has hurt Tae Kwon Do. People just see's the hands down and really do not understand the other aspects.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Lauren!
Online is better than nothing. Last time around, I don't think online was on option.

AoG

I think you are right. Supposedly if you count the online stuff this olympics will have more coverage than all the previous games combined.

Thanks Lauren. Here is a more direct link: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=ET/day=11/sport=TK/online.html

As long as I am on the site, here is the online listings for Judo (which starts tomorrow): http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/zone=ET/day=1/sport=JU/online.html

Thanks for the Judo link, I didnt' realize it started tomorrow!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a nice picture of George Bush meeting the USA TKD team either before or after opening ceremonies. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2745110196_8edfef1b5a.jpg?v=0

I had to really focus on the one shaking the president's hand. At first I would have sworn it was Steven, but on closer exam, I am about 90% sure it is Diana.

I understand that the Chinese will be verifying the sex of some athletes. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/sports/olympics/30gender.html?ref=science She should hope that she is not picked out for that test.

Nice picture of Charlotte though who is the only US TKD Team member I really want to see.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice picture of Charlotte though who is the only US TKD Team member I really want to see.

*Said very sarcastically* Wait! You mean there's another member of the US team?! And their name ISN'T Lopez?

Ya wouldn't know that watching any coverage of these Olympics.
Here's to Charlotte:asian::partyon:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It has helped Taekwondo in the sense that it has helped popularize it and helped with the marketing.

It has hurt Taekwondo in the sense that traditional Taekwondo is a very complete martial art, while the Olympic version is very limited in scope. In other words, you see the same techniques over and over again.

It has hurt Taekwondo by giving students false expectations. Be realistic. How many students are really going to make it to the Olympics? About .0001%. But greedy instructors have to play up the possibility to keep students coming in. Delusional students buy into it because they want to believe they're that good.

I do think if the American team actually did well, which they never do, Olympic Taekwondo would be well received. Aside from the Lopezes, which Americans have won medals? Your typical American viewer isn't going to tune in to see his countrymen lose. The Koreans watch because they know the Koreans will clean up.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do think if the American team actually did well, which they never do, Olympic Taekwondo would be well received. Aside from the Lopezes, which Americans have won medals? Your typical American viewer isn't going to tune in to see his countrymen lose. The Koreans watch because they know the Koreans will clean up.

OK, let's see. TKD was introduced to the Olympics in 1988 as an exhibition sport. All 8 weight divisions were used and each country could send 1 male and 1 female athelte per division.

I am not sure if the USA sent all 16 that they could or not, but 11 did medal

1988 Jimmy Kim - Gold
1988 Lynnette Love - Gold
1988 Dana Hee - Gold
1988 Arlene Limas - Gold
1988 Debra Holloway - Silver
1988 Juan Moreno - Silver
1988 Mayumi Pejo - Bronze
1988 Han-Won Lee - Bronze
1988 Greg Baker - Bronze
1988 Jay Warwick - Bronze
1988 Sharon Jewell - Bronze

In 1992 TKD remained an exhibition sport. Again all 8 weight divisions were used but coutries were limited to 3 male and 3 female athelete per country.

The USA sent their maximum of 6 and all 6 picked up medals

1992 Herbert Perez - Gold
1992 Juan Moreno - Silver
1992 Diane Murray - Silver
1992 Jennifer Laney - Bronze
1992 Terry Poindexter - Bronze
1992 Lynnette Love - Bronze

In 1996 TKD was excluded from the Olympic games.

In 2000 TKD became an offical recognized sport in the Olympic games. The 8 weight divisions were combined into 4 and countries were limited to a max of 2 male and 2 female athletes per country.

The USA sent their max of 4 and only 1 medaled.

2000 Steven Lopez - Gold

In 2004 the rules were the same as 2000.

The USA sent 2 athletes and both medaled.

2004 Steven Lopez - Gold
2004 Nia Abdallah - Silver

With the exception of 2000, the USA has not done all that bad on the TKD Olympic stage.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the question I have is did the USA send our best team or do you think the team was predetermined by the coach.
Seems funny to me that all where from the same family.
As for watching the competition I thank those that gave links so I can watch what our crap tv coverage misses

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course the USA did not send their best team. This has been discussed.

Steven Lopez, absolutly the best.

You can make arguments as to why the other 3 do not belong on the team.

Diana Lopez: Video from the original team trials back in August 07 seemed to show that Nia Abdallah should have won. Then in the 2nd round of team trials in April of this year, again video seems to show that Nia won again.

Mark Lopez: Although I have not seen any video, I have heard from sources that I consider reliable that he to did not really win his fight against David Bartlett at team trials last August and his bid should have been ended there.

Charlotte Craig: Well, Mandy Meloon (the most decorated female athlete in USA TKD history) had a complete mental breakdown and was removed from the team and Charlotte just kinda slid right into that spot. She has performed very well though since taking the spot, but had Mandy not become a raging lunatic, she would be the one in Beijing today.

The deal with the Lopez's though was completly transparent and as soon as the qualification details were posted on the USAT website, it was completely obvious that 3 of the 4 spots were reserved for those with a surname of Lopez. (See my prediction from may of last year @ http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=780222&postcount=7)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course the USA did not send their best team. This has been discussed.

Steven Lopez, absolutly the best.

You can make arguments as to why the other 3 do not belong on the team.

Diana Lopez: Video from the original team trials back in August 07 seemed to show that Nia Abdallah should have won. Then in the 2nd round of team trials in April of this year, again video seems to show that Nia won again.

Mark Lopez: Although I have not seen any video, I have heard from sources that I consider reliable that he to did not really win his fight against David Bartlett at team trials last August and his bid should have been ended there.

Charlotte Craig: Well, Mandy Meloon (the most decorated female athlete in USA TKD history) had a complete mental breakdown and was removed from the team and Charlotte just kinda slid right into that spot. She has performed very well though since taking the spot, but had Mandy not become a raging lunatic, she would be the one in Beijing today.

The deal with the Lopez's though was completly transparent and as soon as the qualification details were posted on the USAT website, it was completely obvious that 3 of the 4 spots were reserved for those with a surname of Lopez. (See my prediction from may of last year @ http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=780222&postcount=7)

I have to agree with you mango.man, to bad the very best will not be there, but politics will always give way to actual talent.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, the Americans did well when Taekwondo was an exhibition sport back in 1988 and 1992. They do not perform well currently. Aside from the Lopezes, name one current American favored to win the gold. I just don't think the Americans take it as seriously as athletes in other parts of the world. Why should they, when everything is handed to them?
Me? I'll be rooting for the athletes (Taekwondo included) who aren't looking to get their faces on a Wheaties box.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, the Americans did well when Taekwondo was an exhibition sport back in 1988 and 1992. They do not perform well currently. Aside from the Lopezes, name one current American favored to win the gold. I just don't think the Americans take it as seriously as athletes in other parts of the world. Why should they, when everything is handed to them?
Me? I'll be rooting for the athletes (Taekwondo included) who aren't looking to get their faces on a Wheaties box.

Well, other than the Lopez's, there is only one other USA TKD team member in Beijing. Remember each country can only send 4 (2 male and 2 female). Her name is Charlotte Craig, and I think that she has an excellent shot at medaling. She was a last minute fill in at last year's World Championships, also held in Beijing, and she picked up a bronze there. She didn't even know she was going to Worlds until just a week or 2 before the event.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It would be completely cool if the 3 Texas Lopez siblings could earn medals at these Olympic Games. Not only are they the first 3 siblings to compete in the same Games since the turn of the last century, but TKD is a Korean martial art. So for 3 Americans to medal in this great, beautiful martial art brings pride to my country. I'm a Yankee martial artist, so I guess I'm biased... :idunno:

Anyway, the Lopezes aren't event Asian Americans, they're Latinos, Nicaraguan-Americans. Since TKD is practiced worldwide, now you don't even have to be Korean or from Korea, the birthplace of my art, to be on the elite level.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the Lopezs are a family united and a family that has had alot of string pulled to get them all on the same team. I will wish them the best because they are our athletes but I still do not believe this was the best team to send. Lets hope we win medals in all four matches.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will root for the best athletes. If it's not the Lopezes that's fine. From what I've seen of the Americans they don't impress me.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like they wasted everyones time and money by holding the olympic tryouts. They should have just announced who they were picking at a press conference.

Latest Discussions