Old fashion

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am an old fashion man as you may know by this time and I don't feel bad at all, but this topic is about the way I sparr (kyorugi), I am very linear doing sparring, my foot work is like doing some kind of karate, going foward or backwards looking for the right moment or gap to launch my atack, I don't dance and bounce (step) like the youngsters, I don't play for points I like to play for techs that could be used on street, I use my arms to block or parry, even I use my legs to block some times.

Yes... I have to tell you that a taekwondoing that uses footwork and competition techs or combos can take out the cr.....p of me, the teens and youngsters that train for tkd wtf competition deserve my respect, I do kyorugi with them and they are pretty fast and acurate, in fact in those tournaments I've been as a referee or judge I get amazed by the black belt competitors but the fact is I don't train to be a tournament champion I train just because I love TKD.

How many of you train like I do?

Manny

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're training for the street, you might want to consider adding some lateral and angular footwork to your movement. It can do a lot to keep you safe.

The rest of your style sounds reasonable to me.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're training for the street, you might want to consider adding some lateral and angular footwork to your movement. It can do a lot to keep you safe.

The rest of your style sounds reasonable to me.

Yes I use lateral footwork, I don't bounce like crazy like the kids LOL!!

Manny

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Manny, if you want to train for the street, there's no point for practicing competition sparring. Instead you should use various functional sparring drills, with all the possible techniques and variables. Forget the rule set of WTF and start training for the kinds of threats that you might see, using the kinds of tools that you might be able to use.

One small correction: original Okinawan karate was never linear back and forward. This is an artificial creation for the competition environment of its Japanese counterpart, not something to be used for self defense.

Hint: try to grab one arm of your opponent while you hit him or move sideways. This is just how karate and taekwondo techniques were originally meant to be.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, if you want to train for the street, there's no point for practicing competition sparring. Instead you should use various functional sparring drills, with all the possible techniques and variables. Forget the rule set of WTF and start training for the kinds of threats that you might see, using the kinds of tools that you might be able to use.

One small correction: original Okinawan karate was never linear back and forward. This is an artificial creation for the competition environment of its Japanese counterpart, not something to be used for self defense.

Hint: try to grab one arm of your opponent while you hit him or move sideways. This is just how karate and taekwondo techniques were originally meant to be.

Yeap I got you, however inside dojang sambonim only likes WTF rule set for doing kyorugi, doing contoled sparring aplying self defense techs is something nice to do but will need to ask permition to sambonim and I think he will not allow it.

Manny

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't play for points ...

One time I pulled my punch just 1 inch away from my opponent's face but my opponent followed a punch toward my face. That was the last time I did control sparring. After that day, I have spent all my training time in grappling instead. Only in throwing, you don't have to pull back anything.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I use lateral footwork, I don't bounce like crazy like the kids LOL!!

Manny

I bounce a little when i spar, moving forwards, back, left and right.. there is little spring in my step when i do it as well. i was never trained to do it, but an older student I practice with a lot mentioned the same thing said I was wasting energy etc. I listened as I find he is quite knowledgeable, and like trying new things or methods. I tried his way and I found it slowed me down and I got lethargic quicker.

I was not taught any certain way for foot work in sparring, I just go with what my body feels more comfortable with. I kind a move more like a boxer. is this what you mean?

I'd like to see some YouTube clips if you have the time to find some examples. I'd like to know what the better formed footwork is also in your experience to get used to and correct myself early rather than later. But I definitely don't do it to be flashy, I can just sustain energy a lot longer if I'm in constant motion. there is no hard set rules at my dojang when sparring or yusul. But now that you have mentioned it I just recalled my training partner chuckling about it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny, I like and respect your attitude on your sparring and reason for being in the art.
There is nothing wrong with just doing something you like to the best of your ability.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

If you want to train for the street, there's no point in training taekwondo at all. I don't mean that Tkd is no good, but that the vast majority of class time is likely not focused on the "street."

As far as sparring goes, I think the members of the class should be sparring under the same "rules." If a student doesn't care for the rules, maybe he or she shouldn't spar with the class. A student shouldn't be imposing his or her personal focus on other members of a group training session. It's up to the master in charge of training to do that.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor trains that way. In some way I try. The sport never seemed interesting you try to get points but the points are only good if you want to win and I don't care about winning and most people are very competitive, I'm not much about competitive. I like practicing different styles and learning about there history because it's interesting

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well. I modified some of techniques that fits for self defense. I think trick is to this is teaching(also stress enough of) philosophy of what is different between sport and self defensing yourself in street or other place and being tactician. I trained in kyokushin under my friend for few weeks so i don't hold any belt or anything like that.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all. When I do sparring Kyorugi) I use full power kicks and punches using the WTF rule set, all my kicks and punches go to the hogu and some times I go for the head with my kicks, it's not easy for an old guy to sparr with young dudes, they are faster tan me and their footwork is very good cause they train for tournaments so the only thing I could do is to hold on and don't waste energy and wait till the gap is right to try to score, yes .... sometime I send a volley of kicks trrying to nail my oponent I am not he best sparr guy in the dojang but certainly if I could grab for example or to trow or disbalance an oponent with a swep the other guy would be in troubles. I block every ringle kick that comer to my face that's why my oponents fall to the mat because I desbalance them sadly I can't counter in the ground with a solid reverse punch or a kick when the other guy is flet on his back see me with a what??? face LOL

Manny