Differences in Kenpo?

N

noonesfool

Hello I posted on another forum and I was confused with the various systems of Kenpo/Kempo.
I was told that Ed Parker is the best?
What are the differences between Parker,Tracy,Chinese,and Okinawan Kenpo's?
I'm involved in Okinawan/Shaolin at my new school and I like it but what are the others.
They are also teaching me Jeet Kune Do,Muay Thai,and Kali/Escrima.
They are teaching 100's of ground fighting and grappling techniques in various classes as well as sparing.
They are certified to do police training and teach Pa certified deadily weapons classes.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Is it you that started this thread on the Kenpo Net Forum: Thinking About Kenpo

I know that I went into a little bit of an explanation about Ed Parker's American Kenpo, but I didn't go into great deal about the others...

Kinda goes like this:

Ed Parker's American Kenpo is an off-shoot of Chinese Kenpo.

Okinawan Kenpo is an off-shoot of Chinese Kenpo.

Tracy's Kenpo is an off-shoot of early Parker Kenpo (the material that Parker was teaching in the 1960's).

Parker continued to develop his system until the time that he passed away in December of 1990.

I have a question for you. What are Pa certified deadily weapons classes? I have never heard that before.

Sincerely,
Billy Lear, UKS :asian:

OP
N

noonesfool

The way it was explained to me is the state has certified them to provide weapons classes that are meant to kill for officers and the like.
I watched a Filipino routine with rattan sticks that was completely awesome.
The way it was explained to me the sticks are capable of shattering a knee etc.
The way everything in my first class was meant to be used in a self defense situation.
I got hurt a few times but that is part of the fun.
I'm just trying to gather information about various arts and styles.
I went into this stuff blind and trusted the schools to be honest but I have learned a lot about that sort of stuff.
They have some people that it took 10 years to hit just 1st degree black belt.
I don't like the purchase a belt schools or the we'll give you a black belt in 2 years.
I got mugged a few times on my way to college so I jumped right into this but probably should'nt have.
I assumed all arts were of course self defense but also learned some are not.
I have learned alot on my adventures in MA like some instructors have no clue about anything.
I would check out EPAK style but this various system stuff is fun.
I figure if they can teach a cop then they can teach me everything I need.
They have so much curriculum just tell them what you want and they give you a ton of stuff.
I'm a trusting soul and I figure you have a school and you have a black belt then they must know but again not the case.
When I can afford to move out of state then maybe I can get into EPAK and some others.
My friend who spent years getting his TDK black belt was amazed at how brutal this stuff is.
I settle for Okinawan for now since they are known for living long happy lives.
Alot of schools need to incorporate the spiritual aspect of the arts.
We did in Kung Fu and it made me 100% better but people say that would be cheating on God.
I just went back to the doctors and some of my health problems disappeared and they asked what I was doing.
I was told not to do MA because my back is crooked but they did xrays and there was a reduction in the curve so I can move standing up completely straight now.
I had weak ribs from athsma and when I told them I was taking kicks without pads they just shook their head and said that should kill me because I can't breath.
I am completely amazed since this stuff was supposed to be permanent.

OP
K

Kirk

What do you have against the EPAK school in Pittsburgh?

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with Billy except on one minor point.

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Okinawan Kenpo is an off-shoot of Chinese Kenpo.

Chinese Kenpo is a term refering to the evolutionary stage of Ed Parker's Kenpo back in the 60's I believe. Okinawan Kenpo is not an off-shoot of Chinese Kenpo. It would be more accurate to say that Chinese Kenpo is an off-shoot of Okinawan/Japanese Kenpo.

While Okinawan/Japanese Kenpo is "reported" to be an off-shoot of Chuan Fa Kung Fu. Kenpo and Chuan Fa essentially mean the same. Kenpo is a Japanese word while Chuan Fa is Chinese. Somewhere in between it may have been called To-De (sp?) which would be an Okinawan word.

This is of course simplified and much of the history is lost and some what contreversial. Kenpo would usually fall under two major categories.

Traditional Japanese/Okinawan
RyuKyu Kenpo
Shorinji Kempo ?
Kosho Ryu Kempo or Kempo Jutsu

Modern/Americanized
Ed Parker's American Kenpo
Tracy Kenpo
Kajukenbo
Shaolin Kenpo or Kempo
Cerio Kenpo
Chinese Kenpo
etc.

OP
N

noonesfool

I have nothing against Epak but I am more interested in learning the kick boxing,jeet kune do,and the various weapons systems.
I liked the way the instructors conducted themselves and I saw no huge egos.
In this point in looking at MA I need to have good instruction not that the other would'nt be fine.
Sometimes you walk into a place and you feel it's the place for you to be.
Maybe after I see the roots in Okinawan then I can take up Epak.
I've been burned twice and I put my whole effort into this so I just need to stay somewhere so I can learn.
Since I can't prove one is better than the other so I'll just wait and do it alot more.
It's hard to find a place where the people feel as serious about training as I do.
When a person tells me he works full time and sleeps 4 hours so he can teach at night then you know the person feels as you.
Some nights you can stay and get 3 classes in one night at no extra cost so I learn more.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

"What are the differences between Parker,Tracy,Chinese,and Okinawan Kenpo's?
I'm involved in Okinawan/Shaolin at my new school and I like it but what are the others.
They are also teaching me Jeet Kune Do,Muay Thai,and Kali/Escrima.
They are teaching 100's of ground fighting and grappling techniques in various classes as well as sparing.
They are certified to do police training and teach Pa certified deadily weapons classes."

I'm glad you like the school you've chosen. Generally speaking, though, schools that teach everything teach nothing. And I have to add, I wonder about instructors who tell beginning students all about their immense devotion and their deadliness...still, you're actually there, and you'd obviously have a much better feel for it than I would. So good luck, and have a great time learning.

Oh...could I ask what it was you wanted to know about kenpo?

OP
N

noonesfool

Well the guy did'nt brag up front and I told him I was serious and he said he was serious about teaching and it went on from there.
I went to 2 classes and keep in mind this is still free so I can still wlak away.
Before even agreeing to free class I sat and grilled them for 2 hours and I talk with other students.
For teaching nothing he sure did teach me better punches than TKD and exactly what you want from a punch and distance.
He is making me use my hands more and showing me to make the whole body busy to take down people not just a foot.
I just wanted to know what other kenpos have as far as "improved" defense etc.

Latest Discussions