Off with their heads

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
GRIM said:
I must concur with most your points, however this thread was started with the intent to discuss different peoples experiences on defending head kicks. Obviously a sparring oriented qeustion.
According to you, a person needs to know what to do if they encounter a TKD experienced person on the street.
I whole heartedly agree that kicking to the head is, as you said an unnecessary gamble. The very same thing my instuctors say to me. In a self defense situation I personally would be very hard pressed to ever even think to throw one.
Than we agree more than we disagree.
All the same if knocked to one knee and the opponent attempted to kick at your head the leg might move at much the same angle and use the same part of the leg for a weapon as a high kick. So your defense might be the same for this secnario as in a person throwing a high kick.
No not really.
As much experience in the arts as you have, I'm sure you must have more than a few technical preferences when dealing with high kicks. Honestly I would more like to hear and discuss those that debate the practical application of the kick it's self.
With respect,
Grim
Well sir, the truth is no one has ever thrown a kick at my head while I was standing up unless I was sparring, so you got me there. A simple solution is to treat them like punches.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Doc,
I was in (10 onto 2) cufuffle about 25yrs ago when the "china" I was with delivered a perfect and I mean perfect "jodan Mawashegeri" to the leader of the "pursuing" group, which gave us the time to render our escape.......does the fact that it happened such a long time ago invalidate it's worth or is it a case of right time, right place, right person ,right action?
I will relate the full story to you "old boy" the next time our paths cross.
With Respect
Richard.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Hey Doc,
I was in (10 onto 2) cufuffle about 25yrs ago when the "china" I was with delivered a perfect and I mean perfect "jodan Mawashegeri" to the leader of the "pursuing" group, which gave us the time to render our escape.......does the fact that it happened such a long time ago invalidate it's worth or is it a case of right time, right place, right person ,right action?
I will relate the full story to you "old boy" the next time our paths cross.
With Respect
Richard.
People get struck by lightening too, but I don't train for it. :)

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whoaa...Ha Ha Ha Ha..............thanks for putting that one to bed....no more Jodan Mawash training for me....my hip, knee, and ankle joints thank you.
Richard

Latest Discussions