Non sine wave form videos?

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
anywhere no where I can find the ITF forms being done without the sine wave?

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Since the ITF now only teaches with sine wave, may I inquire as to why you would want video without the sine wave being present?

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
because the school I attend, does the ITF forms, but has never done the sine wave. he's been open since 1978

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since the ITF now only teaches with sine wave, may I inquire as to why you would want video without the sine wave being present?

There are plenty of schools that use the Chang Hon forms but don't use sine wave. You're aware I'm sure that sinewave wasn't emphasised until well after the Chang Hon forms were taught and adopted by many instructors across the world. I daresay in the southen United States there's more people who DON'T practice sinewave than do. My first MA instructor was a Jhoon Rhee student. He did not teach sinewave and neither does Mr. Rhee.

For the original poster, you can look for some videos made by Keith Yates. He's a Texas TKD legend from the 'Blood and Guts' era and he has a video set out. Look also on Ebay. There's a seller called 'guitarczar1' selling a DVD right now of the Chang Hon forms - also without sinewave. I have a copy and I think the Korean instructor on the DVD is vey good.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of schools that use the Chang Hon forms but don't use sine wave. You're aware I'm sure that sinewave wasn't emphasised until well after the Chang Hon forms were taught and adopted by many instructors across the world. I daresay in the southen United States there's more people who DON'T practice sinewave than do. My first MA instructor was a Jhoon Rhee student. He did not teach sinewave and neither does Mr. Rhee.

For the original poster, you can look for some videos made by Keith Yates. He's a Texas TKD legend from the 'Blood and Guts' era and he has a video set out. Look also on Ebay. There's a seller called 'guitarczar1' selling a DVD right now of the Chang Hon forms - also without sinewave. I have a copy and I think the Korean instructor on the DVD is vey good.

Thanks. yeah my instructor never adopted the sine wave.. I don't know why.. but I honestly like watching forms performed without it.. vs. with it.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. yeah my instructor never adopted the sine wave.. I don't know why.. but I honestly like watching forms performed without it.. vs. with it.

You're welcome.

There's a recent discussion below on sinewave. The gist of the thread is that if your sinewave movement is noticeable with big up-and-down motion, you're probably doing it wrong. By that standard, most of the sinewave movies I've seen on the web are examples of what not to do. I suppose the exaggerated motion could be a learning tool, but you have to wonder sometimes....

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yeah the videos I have watched online.. looked silly.. like noone would really move like that.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Try looking for TAGB videos (if there are any) as far as im aware they teach ITF but split off from main ITF before sine wave was introduced.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're looking for online videos check youtube. They have tons of videos of ITF tul both with and without sine wave.

Pax,

Chris

MikeSlisher

White Belt
Reaction score
Go to youtube and do a search for liveoakmartialarts. The forms that are shown are pretty close to what I learned back in the early-to-mid '70s and show little sinewave movement.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, if you start down... ultimately, the sine wave would complete when you sink back down at the end of the motion.
Well then I'm all for it. Its sounds as if that method gets you in touch with some circles of motion not present with non-sine-wave stuff. LOL
Sean

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here are a few without the sine motion: http://www.youtube.com/user/NRGMommy#p/u they're associated with the school I trained with back in the 80's, I was very glad to see they still don't do it. Their main school sells DVDs, I'd assume they wouldn't have the sine wave either. I haven't watched the DVD but I know (well, knew long ago) the people they filmed doing them, they're very good. http://www.traditionaltkdcollege.org/

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

There is an Ohdowkan dojang in Dae-Gu that has several hyung posted on Youtube. The hyung is demonstrated the same way as in the 50's and 60's, fast, hard, and without the bounce!

Search User: KoreaTKD

Hope this may be of some benefit to you!

TAEKWON!
Spooks

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. You're aware I'm sure that sinewave wasn't emphasised until well after the Chang Hon forms were taught and adopted by many instructors across the world. .

The term "Sine Wave" first appears in the 1983 encyclopedia. Prior books such as the 1972 edition refererred to flexing the knees. In the 1970's we called this "Spring Style" .

Sine wave is a metaphor for the up and down (down / up / down ) movement of the body as the knees are flexed to allow the legs and entire body muscaulature to be employed to generate power contrasted with some karate styles where the head stays level.

As far as when it was adopted or by whom, that often depends on the lineage of the instructor. With regard to Jhoon Rhee and his progeny as well as HU Lee and others, you can see how some of the Chung Do Kwan habits carried thru.

Latest Discussions