Non-Christians have B.O.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
True. I'd bet that it was to draw their attention to the common practice of annointing people or things with scented oils and the burning of scented wood. I don't recall where but somewhere in the old testament speaks of the prayers of God's people rising to Him like a sweet scent. So Paul saying that those saved by Christ had "a sweet scent" or whatever he said... would probably bring up recollections of holy things and holy events. Strong imagery. Think of what scents do to us. The smell of my moms meatloaf can make me hungry immediately. The smell of pine makes me think of majestic mountains. The smell of gunpowder, I can feel the patriotic nostalgia of the 4th of July.
Oh well... that's not really what this thread is about.
I think that it was totally innapropriate, the way this teacher presented this stuff, even What was presented was out of bounds.
HOWEVER: I don't think it's wrong to present the Theory of Evolution as a theory... and only one theory out of several, like the theory of intelligent design. This can be presented without presenting it with any one particular theology.
Something to think about.
Your Brother
John
The practice of incense and annointing were common among many religious groups of the day. The difference in the quality, amount and source for these oils and incense may have created a signature though.

I agree that Evolution, in science class should be specified as a theory (in the scientific sense, not the common use) to be completely accurate.

I still wonder what kind of institution the visiting teacher came from in Australia and what kind of Church/State laws exist in Australian public education. I would think that they would be similar enough that this text book material would not have been a wise choice.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
someguy said:
Raises arm after a work out. Is this the smell of christians. EEWW
Even in Church....
I've sat next to people who made me scooooooot down the Pew.

Gave a whole different connotation to the word "Pew".

:barf: :fart: :uhohh: :vu:

oh well....
we're all human.

Your Brother (who showered and shaved just this morning, I swear...)
John

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha K said:
Still.. Not a bad answer for a kid that age to come up with. That's certainly more sensible than the "right" answer.
True, but being the Smartmouth punk that I am, I would have written in "None of the Above" since the correct answer was not on the test, and possibly essayed it at the end.

But this is coming from a guy who once was so unprepared for a pop quiz that I wrote all the answers in a made up neo-runic alphabet me and my friends used to pass notes to each other in shcool so I could dispute what the answers were when the teacher graded the quiz. I cited the fact that no where in the instructions did it say the answers needed to be in english...

It didnt work... but the teacher gave me points for trying. :D

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
True, but being the Smartmouth punk that I am, I would have written in "None of the Above" since the correct answer was not on the test, and possibly essayed it at the end.

But this is coming from a guy who once was so unprepared for a pop quiz that I wrote all the answers in a made up neo-runic alphabet me and my friends used to pass notes to each other in shcool so I could dispute what the answers were when the teacher graded the quiz. I cited the fact that no where in the instructions did it say the answers needed to be in english...

It didnt work... but the teacher gave me points for trying. :D

You rimind me of a Spanish test that a friend of mine showed me. She was a Spanish TA in college and was grading this guys test. Part of it was vocabulary where it showed a picture and you had to write the word. The guy didn't know half of them, so he drew on the pictures making them into something esle that he did know the word for. I remember one of them was a shoe, but he didn't know the Spanish word for show, so he drew on the picture making the shoe into a fish, and then wrote the Spanish word for fish underneath it. I think she gave him a couple extra points for creativeness. LOL.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"God's word tells us about a kind of odor only Christians have ..."

Thats what that is... I thought ist was a ddead skunk :D

Apologies to those offended, unless you are really really offended, in which case I stand by it. :D

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish something like this happened here, and then we could make a big deal of out of it and possibly have a synagogue(?)-state seperation.

As for as evolution goes, it's not really relevant to the issue, but there are theories in both directions, it's not proven yet.

~ Loki

Latest Discussions