Non-Christians have B.O.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Could someone find Christ by the scent trail you are leaving behind you?"

- referenced article

*snicker* OK, this wasn't really well thought out by the lesson writers, was it? They were delivering this lesson to 5th graders..... had I read this at that age, I'd have been laughing for the rest of the period.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the article... Ashlee came home with a worksheet on which she was marked wrong for answering that "chance" was the reason many animals are colored to match their surroundings. The teacher indicated that the right answer was "God's master design," the suit says.
This is definitely where the teacher had err-ed. I hate to say it but it was indeed pushing her beliefs down that little girl's throat... in a manner of speaking. To this question I recall being taught that it was evolution that caused animals to match their surroundings. I've (personal...not anyone else) came to believe that it is a combination of both creation & evolution.
But point I see is that the teacher should've allowed the child to have the facts which is what science is all about, so that she can be better informed about her world. HOW those facts came about needs to be given by the parent and any religious-oriented schooling that the child may receive.

Again, from the article Harrison said Cumberland schools have a policy, mandated by federal law, that bars teachers from endorsing any religion.
Policy is policy and only society as a whole and through a democracy (voting) can decide if it needs to be changed, particularly if it's a public school system where the children of different cultures, religions, (social) classes, etc. are there to get an education on the basics of life. The "3-R's" if you will.

True I can see how some people can be in a belief mode that's so strong that they MUST spread the word and let others know the "truth" as "they see it". But the public school system is not it. I've attended both public and private schools and have seen the differences in the two. Personally, I'd prefer the public school system even though socially (at the time :D ) I didn't fare well.
But then again in my day people didn't throw hissy fits whenever a teacher shared their theological beliefs. They shared them... not TAUGHT them to us. I think that's the difference that needs to be pointed out.

hardheadjarhead said:
Oh, yeah...the "fart jokes" would have been flying at my school.
Steve, was this PUN intentional?? heh heh :D

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
from the article said:
Ashlee came home with a worksheet on which she was marked wrong for answering that "chance" was the reason many animals are colored to match their surroundings. The teacher indicated that the right answer was "God's master design," the suit says.
I have no problem mentioning God in the Pledge of Allegance, or a moment of silence at a sporting event, but this is just plain wrong.

The stinky Christians thing is funny though.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From the article said:
Ashlee came home with a worksheet on which she was marked wrong for answering that "chance" was the reason many animals are colored to match their surroundings. The teacher indicated that the right answer was "God's master design," the suit says.
I think a better answer than "chance" would be more along the lines of "adaptation" or "natural selection."

MACaver said:
Policy is policy and only society as a whole and through a democracy (voting) can decide if it needs to be changed, particularly if it's a public school system where the children of different cultures, religions, (social) classes, etc. are there to get an education on the basics of life. The "3-R's" if you will.
I don't have a disagreement with the policy. But I'm sure that, even in our democracy, not all policy is set by direct vote. Some are by vote, others are by the vote of our elected representatives, some are set by appointed officals and some are set by the courts.

R

rmcrobertson

Is there a reason that that website has an ad for some product to relieve gas pain right next to the article?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regardless, "Chance" would be the wrong answer. Even if its not "Gods plan" animals adapt to their environment thru natural selection not chance so the litte snotling was still wrong.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Regardless, "Chance" would be the wrong answer. Even if its not "Gods plan" animals adapt to their environment thru natural selection not chance so the litte snotling was still wrong.

"Snotling?"

You feel you know that little girl well enough to call her that?

Natural selection IS chance. It is random and unthinking. She was correct.

Regards,

Steve

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
"Snotling?"

You feel you know that little girl well enough to call her that?

Natural selection IS chance. It is random and unthinking. She was correct.

Regards,

Steve
As far as I am concerned all children are "Snotlings". Its a term referring to an Immature Ork who develops into the Goblin stage but no further, from the Warhammer series. I frequently refer to children in this manner, often into the young teen years.

I disagree that Natural selection is chance... If a Black moth living on black trees is eaten less than a white moth living on black trees by predators, and threfore flourishes and the white moth population dies out, leaving black moths who live on black trees, that wasnt chance, which is defined by Merriam-Webster[size=+1]r[/size]as "something that happens unpredictably without discernible human intention or observable cause"... clearly there was observable cause, therfore... not chance.

Just my take on the meaning of the word.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Well sure, but how does natural selection work? One animal is born with a gene that makes it in some way better or more adaptable, or at the very least more likely to reproduce than others of its species. Why did that specific genetic trait show up in the first place?

Chance.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ginshun said:
Well sure, but how does natural selection work? One animal is born with a gene that makes it in some way better or more adaptable, or at the very least more likely to reproduce than others of its species. Why did that specific genetic trait show up in the first place?

Chance.
I think the better word is mutation. Some mutations are meaningless because of the environment. Some are meaningful because they contribute to the survival or the extintion of something (albino animals stand out and have no camo....). BUT, if the environment changes that also changes the mutations impact on survival....

mutation and variables would probably be more clinical than 'chance.'

As far as the article topic:

The teacher that started this was a visiting faculty member from Australia. What kind of school was she teaching at there where things like this would be acceptable? I don't know if Aussie public schools would allow stuff like this either.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Is there a reason that that website has an ad for some product to relieve gas pain right next to the article?
OK Robert, that's the first time in a while that a post made me Laugh out loud.
Thanks!

I'd have to say that I see this two ways:
#1: I think that public schools shouldn't teach one iota about religious views, unless maybe it's an optional class that the student can opt to take and gives all major world religions equal time... not "recruitment", but a cursory glance at their views.... because religion is a part of our world after all. BUT: I still hold that public schools should not 'teach' religion. It's not their 'jurisdiction' really.
#2: The whole "christian odor" thing. :idunno: Paul wrote lots of interesting metaphors about the faith... seems that this author took one of the stranger ones and really stretched it too far.

Currently? This christian just got done working on Form III for a while... my vapor trail aint too saintly right about now. :rolleyes:

Your Brother
John

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
OK Robert, that's the first time in a while that a post made me Laugh out loud.
Thanks!

#2: The whole "christian odor" thing. :idunno: Paul wrote lots of interesting metaphors about the faith... seems that this author took one of the stranger ones and really stretched it too far.

Currently? This christian just got done working on Form III for a while... my vapor trail aint too saintly right about now. :rolleyes:

Your Brother
John
I really liked the McR comment too.

As far as the 'odor' issue though, I agree that Paul's application may have been metaphorical BUT the issue of differences in smell may have been very real.

At the time, different Christians were behaving very differently from each other depending on area, practice.....

One of the big issues was whether 'Christians' were suppose to follow 'Jewish' practices - to include Kosher. Since there were Gentiles converting to Christianity and may not have been aware of Kosher practices, things like this may have been inspired by (or intended to inspire) Gentile Christians to observe Kosher practices and therefore produce a different body odor because of the change in diet....

just an idea on the spin. THere are so many refereneces and little things that Paul and other writers would have assumed that an audience would pick up on because of common time/culture and such that we don't because of our distance in time from that period.

Just look at the Mustard Plant reference in the NT.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I really liked the McR comment too.

As far as the 'odor' issue though, I agree that Paul's application may have been metaphorical BUT the issue of differences in smell may have been very real.

At the time, different Christians were behaving very differently from each other depending on area, practice.....

One of the big issues was whether 'Christians' were suppose to follow 'Jewish' practices - to include Kosher. Since there were Gentiles converting to Christianity and may not have been aware of Kosher practices, things like this may have been inspired by (or intended to inspire) Gentile Christians to observe Kosher practices and therefore produce a different body odor because of the change in diet....
hmmmm....
I dunno... I'm no theologian or church historian or anything, but it seems to me that the last thing that Paul would have wanted was to make goyim-christians be more like Jews. He even warned against others who were trying to do this very thing...he called them "Judaizers", these were Christians of Jewish heritage who thought that ALL new christians must FIRST be Jewish, be kosher, and Paul taught that (Paraphrased) "There is no Jew nor Greek, Bond nor free....etc....for all are one in Christ Jesus...", and he emphasized Grace and Faith over the need for observance of the law.
SO...I don't think that Paul, in writing this metaphor, would have been trying to coax goyim-christians to be more "kosher".

Just me thinkin...
Your Brother
John

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
hmmmm....
I dunno... I'm no theologian or church historian or anything, but it seems to me that the last thing that Paul would have wanted was to make goyim-christians be more like Jews. He even warned against others who were trying to do this very thing...he called them "Judaizers", these were Christians of Jewish heritage who thought that ALL new christians must FIRST be Jewish, be kosher, and Paul taught that (Paraphrased) "There is no Jew nor Greek, Bond nor free....etc....for all are one in Christ Jesus...", and he emphasized Grace and Faith over the need for observance of the law.
SO...I don't think that Paul, in writing this metaphor, would have been trying to coax goyim-christians to be more "kosher".

Just me thinkin...
Your Brother
John
I wasn't trying to imply that Paul specifically was trying to Semitise non-Jewish Christians. Just that anyone that was either changing their diet to fit Kosher practices or suddenly found him/herself around more Jewish people might have notice the difference in odor due to the dietary differences.

I really wasn't aware of whether Paul himself was for or against the issue of Jewish practice to be required for Christians as well. thanks for the info.

A

AnimEdge

If i remeber correctly it is writin somewhere in the bible i woudl guess about the "Christain Sent" that the sent is based apon the incents they used to burn when praying or something i forget heard it on some late night christain show

S

Samantha K

Ray said:
I think a better answer than "chance" would be more along the lines of "adaptation" or "natural selection."
Still.. Not a bad answer for a kid that age to come up with. That's certainly more sensible than the "right" answer.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
AnimEdge said:
If i remeber correctly it is writin somewhere in the bible i woudl guess about the "Christain Sent" that the sent is based apon the incents they used to burn when praying or something i forget heard it on some late night christain show
True. I'd bet that it was to draw their attention to the common practice of annointing people or things with scented oils and the burning of scented wood. I don't recall where but somewhere in the old testament speaks of the prayers of God's people rising to Him like a sweet scent. So Paul saying that those saved by Christ had "a sweet scent" or whatever he said... would probably bring up recollections of holy things and holy events. Strong imagery. Think of what scents do to us. The smell of my moms meatloaf can make me hungry immediately. The smell of pine makes me think of majestic mountains. The smell of gunpowder, I can feel the patriotic nostalgia of the 4th of July.
Oh well... that's not really what this thread is about.
I think that it was totally innapropriate, the way this teacher presented this stuff, even What was presented was out of bounds.
HOWEVER: I don't think it's wrong to present the Theory of Evolution as a theory... and only one theory out of several, like the theory of intelligent design. This can be presented without presenting it with any one particular theology.
Something to think about.
Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions