new to wing Chun

tokyo_cowboy

White Belt
Reaction score
mauy thai is my main sport howver wing chun is a martial art ive been interested in for a while. i understand that the whole idea of the two arts are very different but how do you think a thai boxer like me would adapt to Wing Chun and what would be the best way to start in the sport.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mauy thai is my main sport howver wing chun is a martial art ive been interested in for a while. i understand that the whole idea of the two arts are very different but how do you think a thai boxer like me would adapt to Wing Chun and what would be the best way to start in the sport.

try not to bring your mauy thai into wingchun,only in as much,you might resist learning something new.you would do better to just let go of everything you have done in the past,but obviously mauy thai will always be there for you.
if you have done mauy thai for a longtime,doing another art can be frustrating,we had a kickboxer with us and he was constantly shaking his head,saying well in kick boxing we do it this way.you might find yourself doing the same,but aslong as you reconise that,you be fine.

look for a class near you,ask to sit in and watch,if you feel its a good class,get stuck in.

Beginner's Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd say the most important thing is to arm yourself with patience. You'll find yourself doing a lot of static drills that "wouldn't work" on the street, but they're an important step to developing sensitivity, centerline...

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say the stamina and endurance training you'd have likely picked up studying Muay Thai will stand you in good stead, that's always a good start. There are guys in our class having never studied anything, who find it demanding in terms of stamina and having fists flying in at them from all angles.

Relax, learn, have fun. :)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think traditional Muy Tai and wing Chun would complement eachother well. Just work on relaxing the muscles in your body when punching, kicking, and deflect more than you "block" like in muy tai. Your not going to focus on "attacking" the arm as much like in a muy tai block, but learn more how to deflect the punch, sensitivity, spring energy, and forward force (or pressure)
Read on these things and come to understand what they are and how to use them in your MA training.
Some of the kicks are very similar, especially hook kick. Very likened to the muy tai roundhouse leg kick.
Muy Tai and Wing Chun training would be a great match! How long have you trained Muy Tai?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True Muay Thai can be a deadly Art. Coupled with Wing Chun you have a powerful fighter.

I think traditional Muy Tai and wing Chun would complement eachother well. Just work on relaxing the muscles in your body when punching, kicking, and deflect more than you "block" like in muy tai. Your not going to focus on "attacking" the arm as much like in a muy tai block, but learn more how to deflect the punch, sensitivity, spring energy, and forward force (or pressure)
Read on these things and come to understand what they are and how to use them in your MA training.
Some of the kicks are very similar, especially hook kick. Very likened to the muy tai roundhouse leg kick.
Muy Tai and Wing Chun training would be a great match! How long have you trained Muy Tai?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I tell people who have studied a previous MA is I compare it to say being a good volleyball player and then trying to learn basketball. At first it will be frustrating because you're used to what you did in the other sport, but if you leave the old sport alone and concentrate on the new one ( at least for a time) then the new sport will start to come easier as everything that made you good in the previous sport, ie. strength, agility, coordination, etc. will start to come to play in your new sport.

Good luck with your WC training, and if you're ever in the Louisville, Ky area look me up.

OP
tokyo_cowboy

tokyo_cowboy

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks, i feel i have alot of patience so i'll look into finding a local class and i'll ask if can watch a session and make my decision from there.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well first, don't think of WC as a sport. It's a very different mindset than sport fighting or training. Your looking for the immediate defeat of your opponent.
Just stay relaxed focus on NOT using strength especially when punching. This will be a new and weird approach to punching for you at first, but your speed and power in WC punching depend on it.

WC is in the mind, it's a "clever" art more than a strong man's fighting style. It's all in the mind.
When doing WC fill your mind with thoughts of forward "intent", I know it sounds wierd, but just think in your mind even when you do the form, "forward, forward, forward pressure." Think this when you do application with a partner, think forward when you do lop, and lat sau drills. And also consentrate on staying as relaxed as possible. Almost to the point where you feel "lazy" or like your not really "trying" to punch, deflect/block, or kick hard.

Trust me, the power will come in time if you do this. If you do drills in class and your getting bumps and bruises in training on your arms and such, remember you must fully relax. The more you tense your muscles the more you'll recieve pain.
In Muy Tai I know you've probably trained your arms and legs to take quite a beating and to wear down your opponent's limbs too. But, your goals and mindset will be the total opposite in Wing Chun.

You want to totally re-direct their strength and force in WC without "effort". If your forcing the movement and using your strength your not feeling the direction of the opponent's force and learning how to re-direct it. You'll learn to instantly respond to powerful punches and kicks and deflect it from your body without pain or force to and by you.
This will make it possible to defeat an opponent that normally would defeat you because their strength is greater. If you fight a stronger opponent with all your strength, your chances of winning are nil.
This is a smart, street art, and I know some traditional Muy Tai is not focused on sport and more for SD, but since your stating sport, I'm just trying to prepare your mindset for WC.

I hope that makes sense, but it might not click until you get into a WC class and start training for a few weeks. But, if you keep all this in consideration, relax, don't force, no strength, and forward pressure, repeat in your mind as keywords when you train, you'll progress in WC much, much faster.

Remember: think: "Lose, relaxed, calm, forward pressure, forward intent, forward force. effortless."

I hope this helps. And enjoy your training! :)