good bye to wing chun....

devasta

White Belt
Reaction score
after 2 months of training I decided to stop wing chun and do mui thai instead. Most drills done in wing chun class I found it to be boring and slow paced. Essentially, I want to train in a matial art style that will help me stay in shape and build lean muscles but what it seems like is most of students in my class or wing chun practicioners are out of shape or has a gut....I find that very demotivating.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you could be right, or you could be wrong. All I can say is, after two months you just do not know enough to know anything at all. and now you never will.

OP
D

devasta

White Belt
Reaction score
you could be right, or you could be wrong. All I can say is, after two months you just do not know enough to know anything at all. and now you never will.

Dont get me wrong...it is a great well thought out fight art. Unfortunately the style is not to my preference and requires too much time.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
after 2 months of training I decided to stop wing chun and do mui thai instead. Most drills done in wing chun class I found it to be boring and slow paced. Essentially, I want to train in a matial art style that will help me stay in shape and build lean muscles but what it seems like is most of students in my class or wing chun practicioners are out of shape or has a gut....I find that very demotivating.

Only 2 months and already quiting eh? Oh well, must be traning in the wrong WC school. My students work up a sweat in class every night. I never hear them complain.

Oh, BTW, martial arts teach you how to defend yourself. Martial sports are for getting in shape.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong...it is a great well thought out fight art. Unfortunately the style is not to my preference and requires too much time.

Anything worth doing takes time.

Wing Chun is not a style, it's a system. The art you study is a system , the way you use it or express it is the style.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why so defensive? The OP wasn't insulting WC. I've seen threads on these boards, and vids on YT where high ranking WC guys allege that muscle development and strength training can actually get in the way. If he's looking for lean muscle development, he'll definitely be in good shape training Muay Thai.

And he'll learn some skills that will help him defend himself, too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

There are those here who you really do not want to see this post....oh...never mind...too late

Do what you want and what you feel is best for you but I do not think I would judge Wing Chun based on one school and two months and I do not quite understand the need to post this in the Wing Chun section where it is likely to cause the most :flame:

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why so defensive? The OP wasn't insulting WC. I've seen threads on these boards, and vids on YT where high ranking WC guys allege that muscle development and strength training can actually get in the way. If he's looking for lean muscle development, he'll definitely be in good shape training Muay Thai.

And he'll learn some skills that will help him defend himself, too.

I think it was this bit generalization

it seems like is most of students in my class or wing chun practicioners are out of shape or has a gut....I find that very demotivating.

That generated the response and is likely to get more

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's always bothered me to see MA reduced to an exercise program.
especially one, the caliber of WC.
It will get you and keep you in shape, but you have to meet it half way and put down the twinkies.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's always bothered me to see MA reduced to an exercise program.
especially one, the caliber of WC.
It will get you and keep you in shape, but you have to meet it half way and put down the twinkies.

I agree. You are not there to get in shape, you are there to learn a skill. The way you train should keep you in shape also, but the first priority is to learn the skill.

I also do not like to see martial arts reduced to simply an exercise program. If that's what you want, go join a gym and take some taebo classes.

Maybe muay thai will be a better match for him. Or maybe not. that's the thing. After two months he just really doesn't know.

It's possible that that particular school was not a good match for him. All these things are possible. But two months is a very very short period of time.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
wing chun practicioners are out of shape or has a gut

This has proven true at most of the WC schools i have been part of or visited. CMA doesn't have conditioning training the same way as many other arts. There are exceptions, but not many.

Oh, BTW, martial arts teach you how to defend yourself. Martial sports are for getting in shape.

Logical fallacy, both draw from the same skillsets to a different end.

1 on 1 fighting with higher skillsets but limited by rules vs 1 vs X with no rules and typically lower skillsets.

After two months he just really doesn't know.

Only if the teacher sucked. If training doesn't provide immediate feedback its wasted time - hell i knew karate wasnt for me in the first 30 minutes ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

WC schools vary, but as Eric H posted, often what you say about conditioning is true. I don't do that much conditioning in my classes. I do work-out hard outside of class though! Still, Muay Thai is a great self-defense art, martial sport, and way to keep in shape.... especially for you young-uns who don't mind roughin' it up. It's great that you found an art that you love doing. Train hard and do great things. And, who knows, maybe you'll give WC another try in 30 or 40 years.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are exceptions, but not many.

non-sport sanda :EG:

Xingyiquan :EG:

Some styles of Baguazhang

Long Fist

White Crane

Taijiquan

All have conditioning if trained traditionally... just not weight lifting and cardio like you see in your average gym

Example non-sports sanda throw 500 licks per leg per day, thow 100s of palm strikes, elbow and other strikes against a tree. But I will say it also has a plethora of push ups and situps.... but then my taijiquan sifu does leg rasies and other exercises too.

My Wing Chun sifu use to work the hell out of us when I first went there however the last time i went he only worked on Wing Chun and said the rest was up to us to do on our own. But he is in pretty damn good shape

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
As you noted - The conditioning is typically different Xue.

Iron palm is technically conditioning, but it isn't going to get you lookin' good for the ladies anytime soon :)

And I would reckon that if we went to the majority of schools for the styles you listed - they would not be training to the degree which would grant muscle and cardio benefit the same as what you get in most typical sport based arts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As you noted - The conditioning is typically different Xue.

Iron palm is technically conditioning, but it isn't going to get you lookin' good for the ladies anytime soon :)

And I would reckon that if we went to the majority of schools for the styles you listed - they would not be training to the degree which would grant muscle and cardio benefit the same as what you get in most typical sport based arts.

True but power lifting won't get you

lookin' good for the ladies.

As much or as fast as Body buiding either. You may be able to lift a bus but you're just not ripped enough :D

However Non-sport Sanda might, but I will admit it is the exception and not the rule. That damn near killed me but then it was the version for the military and police. And I dare anyone to go find a sifu that really knows it and will actually train you. It is not easy to find.

But with that said I will admit if your goal is "Buff" look to sports MAs over your typical TMA.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't think you should be depending on a self defence system such as Wing Chun with it's minimalist movements to keep you looking buffed.
The movements are too efficient and economical to provide the type of look that the poster is probably looking for.

Wing Chun training typically develops a V- shaped back from all the punching and Chi Sau , but it's not going to give you the type of "Gun's" women swoon over.

Vigorous and protracted Chi Sau sparring will result in weight loss , but it can take a few years before you can get to the point of doing it for a while without feeling like your arms are going to drop off your shoulders.

I do believe in doing some bodyweight exercises mixed in with pad work for the last 15 -20 mins of my lesson , but that is based on the particular needs of the student.

One of my guys does his fitness stuff with a personal trainer and just comes to me to learn skill in technique.
Another older guy likes to practice Wing Chun with a bit of conditioning stuff at the end , so I accomodate that as well.

But I believe it really comes down to the individual to look after his fitness in his own time , Wing Chun is first and foremost a self defence system based on skill.
Whether you have a gut or a sixpack is totally irrelevant in the execution of Wing Chun skill.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from, it all depends on what school/training you do. If I was young and fit again now, I would want somewhere that tested me.

When I was actually young and fit the WC school I trained at pushed us to our limits. We did all the stuff that some WC schools now dont do and take flak for not doing. It also depends on the practioner, if you feel that the training isnt hard enough do your own outside of the class.

Muay Thai is a great art and one I practised for 18 months before my body literally could not take the training anymore. It is certainly something to have in your arsenal and will teach you about conditioning and fitness. Muay Thai is not an art for an older MA whereas WC is, if the OP comes back I would be interested to see how old he/she is.

Again I can see that some feel that WC (and CMA in general) do not offer the workout that Muay Thai etc do. Good luck to the OP too, any MA is good for the soul and maybe, just maybe he/she may come back to WC later on when they are too old/injured to do the more physically demanding MA.

Latest Discussions