tae-kwon-do vs wing chun in non-sport combat?

tifire

White Belt
Reaction score
Tae-Kwon-Do and Wing Chun seem to be the two very popular boards on MT, and I guess they are two of the most popular martial art styles too. They are so different:

Tae-Kwon-Do is a Korean martial art. It focuses on kicks and flexibility.
Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art. It focuses on hand techniques.

I know Tae-Kwon-Do is a competition in the Olympics. But which do you think is better for non-sport combat? I would say Wing Chun.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They are so different:

Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art. It focuses on hand techniques

Not entirely accurate. Both arts mentioned contain kicks and hand techniques, etc. Perhaps replace 'focuses' with 'may emphasize'(?) ;)
My WC emphasizes the legs just as much as the hands. Extensive leg and kick training and conditioning, etc. Many years ago I dabbled in TKD and yes, lots of stretching which doesn't appear as much in WC...but I think this is simply because most WC kicking is done at a fairly low level/height.
Good post though! Thx!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae-Kwon-Do and Wing Chun seem to be the two very popular boards on MT, and I guess they are two of the most popular martial art styles too. They are so different:

Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art. It focuses on hand techniques.

I know Tae-Kwon-Do is a competition in the Olympics. But which do you think is better for non-sport combat? I would say Wing Chun.

Kind of a silly question to ask in a Wing Chun forum. What answer would you expect to get?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the one that's better for self-defense is the one in which you're trained. I, for one, would look pretty silly trying to defend myself with WC techniques.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the one that's better for self-defense is the one in which you're trained.
That's actually the safe bet. Given the differences between clubs, instructors and students, I'd say that comparing the value of martial art X to martial art Y is a bit of a mug's game. You can't really get anywhere with it. All you can really compare (IMO) is one practitioner to another, at one moment in time, in one context.

Besides, there are practitioners of different arts on this forum: people who've spent years practicing their art. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's polite to respect them all.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good TKD fighter is dangerous. However, I would say given what one would expect in a stereotypical self defense scenario, ie. crowded bar, restrictive clothing, slippery shoes.... that WC would tend to play out a little better.

But again, as mentioned by others, it comes down to the individual. I've seen some very good TKD men and some WC people who leave much to be desired.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A good TKD fighter is dangerous.

A TKD friend of mine always used his "side kick" to kick on brick wall daily as part of his training. His side kick can crash people's rib cage. Another friend of mine like to use "flying side kick" to come down 45 degree from the air and kick on your leading leg knee with all his body weight behind. It's a powerful entering strategy. TKD guy's "back kick" can have surprise effect when you move in and try to knock his head off.

The TKD guys are good in kicking range. The WC guys are good in punching range. It's apple and orange comparsion.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know about you guys. But there was a time in australialand TKD was the martial arts of choice for the gangster enforcers, hard men and a feeder into kick boxing. Mostly Turkish/Greek immigrants.

TKD really did have its day were people did it went out to the streets and wrecked peoples stuff with it.

Some TKD is legitimately fight ready.

Jemal hasan springs to mind.

Olympic Taekwondo Centre - Elite Martial Arts Melbourne

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know about you guys. But there was a time in australialand TKD was the martial arts of choice for the gangster enforcers, hard men and a feeder into kick boxing. Mostly Turkish/Greek immigrants.

TKD really did have its day were people did it went out to the streets and wrecked peoples stuff with it.

Some TKD is legitimately fight ready.

Jemal hasan springs to mind.

Olympic Taekwondo Centre - Elite Martial Arts Melbourne

Unfortunately nowadays a TKD is associated with crowds of tiny "tiger-belt" tots and WC is the domain of old men gently playing patty-cake. I know because I read this on a forum!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately nowadays a TKD is associated with crowds of tiny "tiger-belt" tots and WC is the domain of old men gently playing patty-cake. I know because I read this on a forum!

Plenty of martial arts are trained crap. Crap is easier and you get quicker gratification. Nature of the beast. There is some horrific MMA out there.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wing Chun appears to be a bit more practical overall than TKD.

Neither would be my personal choice, but if I had to choose between those two, I would choose WC.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Neither would be my personal choice, but if I had to choose between those two, I would choose WC.
What would be your personal choice if you had to train in a TMA?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That's high praise coming from one of the forums most enthusiastic BJJ proponents. Maybe we can convince you to pick up a bit of WC just for fun in addition to BJJ. --People say they can work well together.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's high praise coming from one of the forums most enthusiastic BJJ proponents. Maybe we can convince you to pick up a bit of WC just for fun in addition to BJJ. --People say they can work well together.

If I had a chance to study with a good teacher, I would love to pick up some Wing Chun. Based on my minimal first-hand exposure and what I've seen on video, I think it would help build certain attributes which would mesh well with my BJJ.

Then again, I never seem to have enough time to master everything I already have to study. :(

Latest Discussions