New Kajukenbo School - Anyone know the Sifu's lineage?

NinjaJax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

A Kajukenbo school is just about to open in Lebanon, PA (near Hershey). Here is the school's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Tiger-Kajukenbo-Hawaiian-Martial-Arts/123327734416142

Does anyone know this Sifu's lineage (Sifu Kimo Brossman)? Someone told me that he used to teach a style of Kung Fu. Just wondered how he has now come to open a Kajukenbo school. I want to make sure he is legit before I try an contact him or stop by his school. Any info would be appreciated, as I know very little about Kajukenbo.

Thanks

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

A Kajukenbo school is just about to open in Lebanon, PA (near Hershey). Here is the school's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Tiger-Kajukenbo-Hawaiian-Martial-Arts/123327734416142

Does anyone know this Sifu's lineage (Sifu Kimo Brossman)? Someone told me that he used to teach a style of Kung Fu. Just wondered how he has now come to open a Kajukenbo school. I want to make sure he is legit before I try an contact him or stop by his school. Any info would be appreciated, as I know very little about Kajukenbo.

Thanks

I suppose as a consumer, it's your right (and maybe responsibility) to inquire about the services you're considering. But as a prospective student, one takes on some risk by viewing his or her prospective sifu as suspect. I'm not sure if I would have all my teeth if I had walked up to my Kaju instructor and asked him about his lineage and whether it was "legit".

There are plenty of folks in our art who do their fair share of "Kajukenbo Detective" work, and I'm sure they're on the case right now. But IMO, it also helps to find out what someone is teaching. There are plenty of Kaju people with pure lineage who might not be able to teach you what you need.

That said, I don't know the gentleman you referenced. But then there are a lot of people in Kajukenbo and it's no longer possible to know everyone.

I hope you find out what you're looking for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose as a consumer, it's your right (and maybe responsibility) to inquire about the services you're considering. But as a prospective student, one takes on some risk by viewing his or her prospective sifu as suspect. I'm not sure if I would have all my teeth if I had walked up to my Kaju instructor and asked him about his lineage and whether it was "legit".

There are plenty of folks in our art who do their fair share of "Kajukenbo Detective" work, and I'm sure they're on the case right now. But IMO, it also helps to find out what someone is teaching. There are plenty of Kaju people with pure lineage who might not be able to teach you what you need.

That said, I don't know the gentleman you referenced. But then there are a lot of people in Kajukenbo and it's no longer possible to know everyone.

I hope you find out what you're looking for.

IMHO, I dont see anything wrong with a potential student, asking about the instructors background, either on a forum or to the inst. him/her self. I look at it like this...if I'm going to spend the time and money to learn an art, and given the fact that there're alot of fakes and frauds out there, then I want to make damn sure that the person I'm training under is worthy of my money.

IMO, if someone gets that upset over that, then they're not worth my time in the first place. You're going to get pissed at someone for asking a question? Doesnt sound like a good teacher IMO.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No doubt there are fakes and frauds. But as you probably know, there are probably twice as many "haters"--people who have a personal agenda (e.g., casting doubt about a Kajukenbo person under the guise of "protecting the public")--as there are true frauds. And with no minimum universe of standards, there are many different flavors, expressions and methods of Kajukenbo. Many.

I have no problem with prospective students examining an instructor and his/her classes and teaching. Prospective students examine our classes all the time. We have pictures on our walls of the founders, the Mainland Pioneers as well as our up-line.

So my beef isn't with someone wanting to know what they're going to learn. Like I said, there's many flavors of Kaju. My beef is with people's reactive presumption of suspicion and doubt.

Ron

OP
NinjaJax

NinjaJax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No doubt there are fakes and frauds. But as you probably know, there are probably twice as many "haters"--people who have a personal agenda (e.g., casting doubt about a Kajukenbo person under the guise of "protecting the public")--as there are true frauds. And with no minimum universe of standards, there are many different flavors, expressions and methods of Kajukenbo. Many.

I have no problem with prospective students examining an instructor and his/her classes and teaching. Prospective students examine our classes all the time. We have pictures on our walls of the founders, the Mainland Pioneers as well as our up-line.

So my beef isn't with someone wanting to know what they're going to learn. Like I said, there's many flavors of Kaju. My beef is with people's reactive presumption of suspicion and doubt.

Ron

With all due respect, Wo Fat, in this day and age there is nothing wrong with (for lack of a better phrase) checking to make sure someone is actually selling what they are advertising. I meant this as no disrespect to the art of Kajukenbo, or any martial arts instructor at all. I have known all of my past instructors' lineage. I have been involved in martial arts for over 15 years and have certainly come across a fair number of frauds in several styles. And with being able to get your black belt in almost any style over the internet without having to step foot inside a studio, I feel that I am doing nothing wrong. If someone told you that they are a police officer, you would expect them to show you their badge and ID proving it, wouldn't you? That being said, I do understand your point of view on the topic and I did not mean to sound like I was doubting his credentials. I was merly trying to find out what his credential are.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ron

respectful inquiries are always appropriate, including inquiries about lineage and prior generations and how people are connected.

If I made a respectful inquiry (hell, even if it was somewhat rude) and I lost some teeth over it, I would make damn sure the fellow was prosecuted for assault and battery.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've been told about the gentleman, he is a high ranking kung fu stylist that Prof. Greg Lagera brought into his Kajukenbo organization (Crazy Dragons Kajukenbo), to add to their kung fu knowledge. I don't know what rank he was given in Kajukenbo, or the extent of his Kajukenbo knowledge and training.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
respectful inquiries are always appropriate, including inquiries about lineage and prior generations and how people are connected.

If I made a respectful inquiry (hell, even if it was somewhat rude) and I lost some teeth over it, I would make damn sure the fellow was prosecuted for assault and battery.

I find the majority of people who object to answering questions about their training and experience, are the one's who have something to hide.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect, Wo Fat, in this day and age there is nothing wrong with (for lack of a better phrase) checking to make sure someone is actually selling what they are advertising. I meant this as no disrespect to the art of Kajukenbo, or any martial arts instructor at all. I have known all of my past instructors' lineage. I have been involved in martial arts for over 15 years and have certainly come across a fair number of frauds in several styles. And with being able to get your black belt in almost any style over the internet without having to step foot inside a studio, I feel that I am doing nothing wrong. If someone told you that they are a police officer, you would expect them to show you their badge and ID proving it, wouldn't you? That being said, I do understand your point of view on the topic and I did not mean to sound like I was doubting his credentials. I was merly trying to find out what his credential are.

Yes sir. Oss.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find the majority of people who object to answering questions about their training and experience, are the one's who have something to hide.

In some cases, yes. And then there are people who aren't interested in being prospective students, and who aren't interested in an instructor's training and experience for that purpose.

Seriously; haven't we reached a point in Kajukenbo (or other arts for that matter) when the actual combatives and techniques and effectiveness, matter just as much (or maybe more?) as the instructor's pedigree? I understand that it's important to be on guard for impostors. But with no minimum set of combative standards, it's possible that someone with a pure pedigree is teaching stuff that is impractical and ineffective while a cross-ranked guy might be teaching something practical and effective.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In some cases, yes. And then there are people who aren't interested in being prospective students, and who aren't interested in an instructor's training and experience for that purpose.

Seriously; haven't we reached a point in Kajukenbo (or other arts for that matter) when the actual combatives and techniques and effectiveness, matter just as much (or maybe more?) as the instructor's pedigree? I understand that it's important to be on guard for impostors. But with no minimum set of combative standards, it's possible that someone with a pure pedigree is teaching stuff that is impractical and ineffective while a cross-ranked guy might be teaching something practical and effective.

on the flip side of that, haven't we reached a point as human beings, where we don't need to feel threatened and lash out violently when someone inquires about our history and lineage in an art that we profess to be a teacher in? Especially if the inquiry is made in a respectful manner?

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
on the flip side of that, haven't we reached a point as human beings, where we don't need to feel threatened and lash out violently when someone inquires about our history and lineage in an art that we profess to be a teacher in? Especially if the inquiry is made in a respectful manner?
Yes, I think we have. My earlier "teeth" comment was more rhetoric than anything. Which brings up a relevant point:

To be honest, I never thought to ask my original instructor about his lineage. It was the late '70s and if you wanted to train somewhere, you signed up; showed up; and trained hard. Hindsight being 20/20 though, would it have been appropriate to ask Ahgung Tony Ramos or GM Alan Reyes (the two main teachers in my town at the time) to see their credentials?

SifuKimo

White Belt
Reaction score
Aloha, Everyone! My name is Sifu Kimo and I welcome all inquiries as to my experience, lineage & affiliations. For additional points of reference, you may search my school on the Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute's website (www.kajukenbo.org). Our official White Tiger Kajukenbo website is http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezfu5a/id69.html. You will find some video and pictures of different classes. You can also check out our school facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Tiger-Kajukenbo-Hawaiian-Martial-Arts/123327734416142. But, as we all know, the best way to make an informed decision is to check things out first hand. I invite anyone into my halau to see my physical creditionals and to test me. I assure you that I am an open book with a great commitment to each member of my 'ohana. We are more than a martial art school. Again, the only way to truly decide is to come in and meet me. Our school is located at 127 North Eighth Street, Suite 100, Lebanon, Pennsylvania 17046. My contact phone number is 1-717-926-4947. Mahalo for your interest and Ke Akua me ke Aloha!!!

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aloha, Everyone! My name is Sifu Kimo and I welcome all inquiries as to my experience, lineage & affiliations. For additional points of reference, you may search my school on the Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute's website (www.kajukenbo.org). Our official White Tiger Kajukenbo website is http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezfu5a/id69.html. You will find some video and pictures of different classes. You can also check out our school facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Tiger-Kajukenbo-Hawaiian-Martial-Arts/123327734416142. But, as we all know, the best way to make an informed decision is to check things out first hand. I invite anyone into my halau to see my physical creditionals and to test me. I assure you that I am an open book with a great commitment to each member of my 'ohana. We are more than a martial art school. Again, the only way to truly decide is to come in and meet me. Our school is located at 127 North Eighth Street, Suite 100, Lebanon, Pennsylvania 17046. My contact phone number is 1-717-926-4947. Mahalo for your interest and Ke Akua me ke Aloha!!!

Welcome to the forum!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aloha,
Was that you sitting next to my old Sifu on your site?
Take care brother, Jim

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aloha,
Was that you sitting next to my old Sifu on your site?
Take care brother, Jim

Sifu Kimo I was addressing my post to you. Sorry for the confusion.
Take care.

SifuKimo

White Belt
Reaction score
Mahalo, Jim. I believe you're speaking of Professor Lagera. Professor Lagera has touched the lives of so many. I feel blessed to be included in this group. Ke Akua me ke Aloha, Kaikaina.
Aloha,
Sifu Kimo

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sifu Kimo,
Professor was my instructor in the good ol days, when I was a mid-teen until early adulthood back when the Crazy Dragons made a name for itself. He took us everywhere in the state to compete and only charged us $5 a month to train. There were days when we had classes with over a hundred students. We trained in the "old barn," his backyard, Lake Elizabeth and back to the "old barn." While I was "troubled" in my 20s (1980s) I tried bouncing back several times and even then he was only charging $20 a month to pay for the hall at Swiss Park.

Yes my Sifu Greg is a great man. He took us "all" to visit his Mom in Oakland and when we were in LA we "all" stayed at his Dads house. His Mom was Japanese and he used to say funny things like when he did a funky kick, I remember him saying "that was my Japanese left foot." He was a proud Pinoy.

He wanted me to attend the Visalia gathering (he called me after many many years}, he didn't tell me he was getting his 8th degree that day. I wouldn't of missed that! But that day was the Mike Inay memorial workout which was a special day for my Eskrima intructor who was the last to be certified by Mike.

My friend Im sure we will meet sometime.
Take care brother, Jim

Latest Discussions