<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
My Thesis on Kajukenbo WHKD
By Nubreed - Sun, 09 Dec 2007 05:21:36 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Thesis for WHKD by Sigung Ben Fajardo

Note:
Readers please note and understand that the use of GM, Sijo was not appropriate at this time frame that I reseached the history. Sijo Emperado was called Chief Instructor, GM Al Dacascos and Gm Al Dela Cruz was senior student's at this time frame of the creation of Tum-Pai. Also for student history, Titles did not come into use like Sijo or Sifu until the late 1960s, more like 1968-69. And certainly, Grandmaster's was not used until after 1995. GM is only used for 9th degrees according to Kajukenbo policies. My Sifu Al Dacascos 9th degree GM-ship did not come until 2005.
This thesis is of my own personal research and view of the sections. I mean no misrepresentation. Please understand that this is how I view it in my own personal opinion and research. And I salute views and opinions of the creators and the readers. I appreciate all the help that I received from Gm Dacascos and others. This is a document of history the way I see it, and the expression of what I feel happened at this time. There is nothing short or wrong with it, it is just my views of the Kajukenbo sections research. Sifu Ben Fajardo Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do

Kajukenbo Foundation Kenpo
Kajukenbo Kenpo can be a very brutal and hard fast hitting system. It can be bone breaking deadly or a soft and flowing art, with throwing and ground controling aspects. In Kajukenbo Kenpo, If you need to take an eye, break a joint, choke or knock someone unconscious it can be done. Kajukenbo is a multi faced art that approaches self defense with an aggressive attitude. Anyone who practices Kajukenbo knows this information already. Any body that practices Kajukenbo knows this information already.

Tum Pai Foundation:
The initial foundation of the Orginal Tum Pai happened in 1959, when Sijo Emperado trained with Prof. Wong and Prof. Lau in Chinese Gung fu. He began to blend the softer styles of Tai Chi Chuan and Southern Kung Fu into the foundation. It was based upon the Chinese combined classical structures of Tai Chi Chuan, Southern Sil Lum Pai, and Choy Li Fut, and the street wise techniques of the Kajukenbo.

Tum Pai Philosophy-
As a Soft/Hard system of Kajukenbo, Tum Pai differs from the foundation system for it contains emphisis on two major styles Yin or Soft styles and External Yang or hard styles. Tum Pai teaches to change its flow and patterns to whatever type situation occurs. The blending of soft style Chinese thories of Tai Chi Chuan taught a different way to deal with force by using evasion, and off centering, the use and development of Yielding, rooting, reversing energy, and redirection of energy. This flow of attack is in a non-muscular way.
Some of the essentials in Tum Pai is the mastering and extensive knowledge of the anatomy of the body, their stress points, arteries, nerves, organs, along with weapons training defense, all which are interwoven into the Tum Pai tapestry. Along with their understanding and purpose of applications in conjuction with the foundation of Kajukenbo this training process produces a means to cover the whole gambit of situations by simple natural methods of self defense. And to develop and expand and expound along many ways or tangents of an iron defense application using a soft/hard style approach.

Tum Pai fighting applications:
The Original Kajukenbo Tum Pai as taught by then Chief Instructor Emerado, and Student's Al Dacascos and Al Dela Cruz had more of a Southern influence coming from Tai Chi Chuan, and other short hand Southern Sil Lum systems. This method or soft branch developed fighting in close quarters, with emphasis on a solid and empty straight body, using soft circular movement, and regulated breathing patterns of Tai Chi. Kajukenbo Tum Pai's blending of continuous movement with timing and interception skills, follows the concept of soft southern systems using timing and internal strength, as opposed to speed and muscular strength. The concepts of relaxed angulation and body movement protects the body and the limbs follow with flowing claws, ripping/tearing fingers, circling snake arms.
The Southern Style principles of low line leaping attacks that gain distance for attacking the lower vital points of the body, emphasising kicking or attacking vital points of the lower legs. The use of low level sweeping, and high jumping tactics to counter those sweeps, leg checking and low line kicking was added to the inside fighting tactics. Kajukenbo Tum Pai Concentrates on evasive tactics that mobilizes an art of gentleness into an art of devastation. Blending flowing hand and foot counters attack combinations that follow the opponent all the way to the ground.
The concepts of blending Tai Chi Chuan's foot work and circular open hand motion and Choy Li Fut's defensive double hand blocking and short range hand strikes, evading footwork and sideway stances was dynamic in the sense that it expresses the principles of persistent application of soft and hard intrinsic energy of the body at a minimum use of tension and brute force. The use of pushing hands and various other Chinese training drills; suchas Chi Sao and various other hand and foot trapping drills where also developed, for timing, reaction and sensitivety. American Boxing was studied as well.
The re-born Tum Pai method uses defense against American boxing, wrestling and advanced street fighting attacks rather than oriental attack. Not having one set pattern for defense against any attack. It teaches the incorporation of soft and hard tactics that use: vital energy, to instinctively direct energy of the force of the attack through the body, as the attacks are absobed. Spontaneity, and effortlessness to the attacking force, provides the practitioner to respond naturally. Kajukenbo Tum Pai teaches Mind and body alertness, which has to be learned in close range fighting tactics. Emphasis is placed upon positioning with notions of slow, soft, smooth, movement. Practitioners train very slowly, training the legs and body with perfecting various positions of movement which approach the development of strength through the cultivation of Chi. Tum Pai at this time was known for more short hand techniques rather then the longer range and higher Northern Sil Lum kicking methods

Tam Pai how it relates to WHKD Kajukenbo:
The external and internal physical action (yang) and the internal mental strength and energy (yin) Throught this coordination, the entire body is able to manifest power and execute technique with maximum strength and efficiency; It blends into Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do as our internal soft method approach in Self Defense and internal Chi training.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions