New-ish Member

TJRKenshi

White Belt
Reaction score
By way of general introduction, My name is Jason Flint, and I train in Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu, and run a training group in Frederick, MD.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Jason, welcome aboard! Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu… okay, that's got you some cred… nicely done… how long have you been training in the Ryu-ha?

OP
T

TJRKenshi

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jason, welcome aboard! Tenshinsho Jigen Ryu… okay, that's got you some cred… nicely done… how long have you been training in the Ryu-ha?

I don't know about “cred”, but I love my ryu, and the people I train with, so that's good enough for me. I have been training since they first had a seminar here in the US, December 2009. (Has it been that long?)
Jason

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome, bro.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about “cred”, but I love my ryu, and the people I train with, so that's good enough for me. I have been training since they first had a seminar here in the US, December 2009. (Has it been that long?)
Jason

Ha, it's Koryu… with me, yeah, that's cred… again, welcome aboard. I look forward to the discussions.

So, rather than the two of you having a nice mutual admiration society thing going on... ;) Maybe you can tell us a little bit about your style?

Last edited:
OP
T

TJRKenshi

White Belt
Reaction score
So, rather than the two of you having a nice mutual admiration society thing going on... ;) Maybe you can tell us a little bit about your style?

Well, what is there to tell? We are from Kagoshima, so there was a lot of fighting with what is now Okinawa. The wiki page is fairly accurate. We really like training...we were founded by Setoguchi Bizen no Kami in the 1500s...

Not really sure what you are looking for.
Jason

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what is there to tell? We are from Kagoshima, so there was a lot of fighting with what is now Okinawa. The wiki page is fairly accurate. We really like training...we were founded by Setoguchi Bizen no Kami in the 1500s...

Not really sure what you are looking for.
Jason

Armed, unarmed, both? What makes your style different from others? How long have you been training? Do you lead your school, or are you just a student? I can look at the Wiki page... but YOU can tell me about what the style is like...

OP
T

TJRKenshi

White Belt
Reaction score
Armed, unarmed, both? What makes your style different from others? How long have you been training? Do you lead your school, or are you just a student? I can look at the Wiki page... but YOU can tell me about what the style is like...
Probably both armed and unarmed, as per usual combat. The art is sogobudo, although we mainly spend time with iaijutsu and kenjutsu. I am a student, a nidan, and I have been training since 2009. I have been to Japan once to train, and did an enbu at Kashima Jingu. If you go to www.jigenryu.jp, and wait for the pictures to scroll through, there is a picture with our group in front of the dojo at Kashima Jingu. I am in the back, on the right as you look at it. (The only Caucasian.) I run a training group in Frederick, MD, USA, and I'm headed back to Japan to train this September. There will also be an enbu at Yasukuni Jingu.

I don't know much about other styles, but we focus a lot on batto and noto. It is a lifelong practice. I think both motions should take the same amount of time.

Jason

Latest Discussions