Nevermind, it's all just a dance anyway...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please tell me this is all just a bad joke.

I keep seeing this commercial on TV, for some new upcomming dance show. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some kind of International Dance competition, sort of like So You Think You Can Dance, or Dancing With The Stars, or something. Big TV spectacle thing.

Seems like the Shaolin Monks are taking part in this show, in this Dance competition.

I guess they've finally fessed up: Shaolin has become nothing more than Modern Wushu, and Modern Wushu is nothing too different from Dance.

Well, now that it's all out in the open, I guess we can all stop pretending.

icon9.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Please tell me this is all just a bad joke.

I keep seeing this commercial on TV, for some new upcomming dance show. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some kind of International Dance competition, sort of like So You Think You Can Dance, or Dancing With The Stars, or something. Big TV spectacle thing.

Seems like the Shaolin Monks are taking part in this show, in this Dance competition.

I guess they've finally fessed up: Shaolin has become nothing more than Modern Wushu, and Modern Wushu is nothing too different from Dance.

Well, now that it's all out in the open, I guess we can all stop pretending.

icon9.gif

Well pretty much.. but they also learn sports sanshou so it could make the compition intersting I guess if they don't agree with the judges :boxing::btg:

:cuss:Now can we ALL write letters to multiple tourist groups world wide and the Chinese Government to ask them to PLEASE leave Chen Village and Wudang Alone? :tantrum:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah it's all true. Shaolin Dance-fu.

Besides, the PRC had already paid for the new gym at Chen Village when I was there in '01. They probably were responsible for the museum & such at house when Yang Lu chan was reported to have lived & learned.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nah it's all true. Shaolin Dance-fu.[/quote}

The Shaolin dance party.....with some kung fu....or not.

Besides, the PRC had already paid for the new gym at Chen Village when I was there in '01. They probably were responsible for the museum & such at house when Yang Lu chan was reported to have lived & learned.

I knew this but I am in denial about it so please don't remind me and make me face reality again thank you :uhyeah:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I gotta get a clip of those promos.

Looks like one of those monks was doing a handstand on his TWO INDEX FINGERS :wow:

Even if someone is holding his feet, I'm impressed.

Another guy looked like he was doing front flips by going feet to head to feet.

Dance or not, wowzers ...

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I gotta get a clip of those promos.

Looks like one of those monks was doing a handstand on his TWO INDEX FINGERS :wow:

Even if someone is holding his feet, I'm impressed.

Another guy looked like he was doing front flips by going feet to head to feet.

Dance or not, wowzers ...

well yeah, some of these guys can do some amazing things. Just makes me sad that they went ahead and publically categorized it as a Dance like this.

Not even gonna pretend it's a martial art anymore?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Shaolin dancers or gymnastic it is still better than the Final Fu. Man that show sucked hard core.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
well yeah, some of these guys can do some amazing things. Just makes me sad that they went ahead and publically categorized it as a Dance like this.

Not even gonna pretend it's a martial art anymore?

Of more critical interest to me is not whether monks can dance, but whether these guys are "Shaolin monks" in any meaningful and genuine sense.

I seem to recall - forgot the source, naturally - that the genuine Shaolin movement may have been eradicated by the Cultural Revolution. The folks running about as monks are government trained Wushu virtuosos.

Not surprised given the skill sets that either a Wushu guy or a monk could be quite the dancer..... but to quote Butch + Sundance, "Who are those guys?"

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of more critical interest to me is not whether monks can dance, but whether these guys are "Shaolin monks" in any meaningful and genuine sense.

My understanding is that they are not. According to the National Geographic video in OP, these are kids who are hoping for a spot on one of the touring troupes. In that respect, I think it's somewhat like the show Stomp.

I saw one of these troupe's in Toronto in 1995 performing at a very elegant concert hall. It was a huge draw at the time. It was quite entertaining, but, at the end of the day, it was a performance of martial-art-inspired tricks. Since that time, XMA became a more visible form of martial entertainment. I'm not really surprised to see Shaolin Temple stuff in a dance context.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My understanding is that they are not. According to the National Geographic video in OP, these are kids who are hoping for a spot on one of the touring troupes. In that respect, I think it's somewhat like the show Stomp.

I saw one of these troupe's in Toronto in 1995 performing at a very elegant concert hall. It was a huge draw at the time. It was quite entertaining, but, at the end of the day, it was a performance of martial-art-inspired tricks. Since that time, XMA became a more visible form of martial entertainment. I'm not really surprised to see Shaolin Temple stuff in a dance context.

Some are also looking at it as a way into the military

Latest Discussions