What do you know about Varmannie?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard it comes out of India and has something to do with yoga, and is a martial art, but that is all I know. Do any of you know anything about Varmannie?

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that you're looking for Varma Kalai, sometimes called Varmam. It's an art out of Tamil, India that utilzies pressure point strikes.

David

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Chris Crudelli's book The Way of the Warrior which says it has every martial art in it I found this one. It may be what you are looking for. It fits with David W's post too.
Kutto Varisai

"Althought often taught alongside the stick fighting art of silambam, kuttu varisai is also a stand alone martial art; it resembles other empty hand martial arts such as kung fu and karate. It employs techniques based on the movements of aggressive animals as well as grappling and striking arts. Some weapons - notably the stick, trident dagger, double sword, shield, steel whip and knuckleduster - are also used. In addition kuttu varisai features the more peaceful pursuits of yoga, breathing exercises and meditation.
The first recorded literature relating to the art dates from the 1st century BCE. It is believed to have been a uniquely Tamil practice, popular in Tamil Nadu and North Eastern Sri Lanka."

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
but maybe it's the same thing as the others you wrote about. Thanks.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kuttu Varisai and Varma Kalia are two distinct parts of the same art. The Varmam aspect is closer to Chinese Dim Mak since it deals with pressure points both for healing and harm.
Kuttu Varisai contains the physical combat techniques.
The two aspects were traditionally taught together to encompass a complete art
The weapons are indeed those stated above.
Of course there's a lot more to the art, but that's the nutshell!

Cheers,

David

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's quite a few Indian martial arts that seem to be overlooked which is a shame.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My knowledge on this is sparse but I believe it is pressure points and vital points. I have heard it referred to as Varma.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
My knowledge on this is sparse but I believe it is pressure points and vital points. I have heard it referred to as Varma.

Varma or Varmam translates to "the art of Vital Points" That aspect of the overall art works with the body's seven vitals. Indian version of Dim Mak.

David

Latest Discussions