Annual US Open ISKA World Martial Arts Championships

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This will probably get me in trouble...aka "If I dood it I get a whippin'. I dood it"

Watched the US Open ISKA World Martial Arts Championships on TV last night, which I have never watched before, and I was impressed by, and can appreciate the athleticism of, the competitors and that they all work very hard to get there. And they all may be very competent martial artists outside of this competition, they all sure have the physicality for it, but coming from a very traditional martial arts background I found myself thinking, “what the hell is this” and “why are they all so angry”. It was, IMO. an American version of Modern Chinese Wushu, just with more anger and yelling. And the commentators said of one of the competitors “traditional” form… “he is doing a traditional form he made up himself”…excuse me! It was an impressive and rather athletic double sword form, but (IMO) it was not traditional at all, if for no other reason than he made it up himself. That and some of the, rather impressive, spins and releases would most likely got even the greatest of Samurais, of the past, laughed of the battlefield, or more likely killed. And another commentator referred to the empty hand forms competition, done to modern music, as the martial arts 'dance' form competition.

And the sparing was point sparing, but it was awful. Throwing yourself off balance in an attack to get a point for a light back fist to the other guy’s head. copious fast, inaccurate and powerless kicks.... Based solely on this I can see why there are those (MMA, BJJ, RBSD) that would say TMA does not work.

I take my hat off to the competitors for their ability and achievement in getting to and competing in this competition, but I don't see much of anything I would refer to as useful martial arts at all.. it was mostly a martial arts 'dance' form competition IMHO

I am sorry if I offended anyone, that is not my intent.... It could be that I am old, clueless and used to seeing karate competitions and martial arts competitions from my youth (the late 60s and 70s) and I am just being a curmudgeon who is to old to change

Last edited:

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if you remember my post but the German Kickboxing National team attended this. I would like to watch it. Is there a link for online?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not sure if you remember my post but the German Kickboxing National team attended this. I would like to watch it. Is there a link for online?

I should also add, as far as I can tell, based on what was shown, there were only 2 teams, AWMA and Paul Mitchell. And every single commercial was for.....AWMA and Paul Mitchell

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd love to know where they get their breaking material! These guys go through HUGE stacks of stuff. Having broken 300 lb ice blocks from a local ice company (I wouldn't recommend it, it's really hard stuff!), and wood and concrete pavers from the local hardware store, I'm confident the material they are breaking is not standard.

Fortunately there isn't a huge audience that watches that stuff on ESPN 2 at 3 a.m. Otherwise our breaking demonstrations (with real material) wouldn't look nearly as impressive.

As for the other portions of Sport Karate competitions, it is what it is, athleticism and sport. The "emotion" encouraged during the competitions goes against what I've been taught to show during forms competition, the techniques are not traditional, but I believe that is the point. I know there are some respected folks on this forum that have experience with these types of competitions, and they may be able to shed some light on the subject.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I should also add, as far as I can tell, based on what was shown, there were only 2 teams, AWMA and Paul Mitchell. And every single commercial was for.....AWMA and Paul Mitchell

You mean like the hair salon company? WTF does that have to do with martial arts? At least AWMA is a martial arts equipment supplier.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
You mean like the hair salon company? WTF does that have to do with martial arts? At least AWMA is a martial arts equipment supplier.

You want nice bouncy hair when you;re doing kata for competition, no?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ooooo an interesting read that! "Black Belt Magazine recently featured Paul Mitchell Member Cailtin Dechelle for her upcoming stunt role in Fast and Furious. Dechelle, who stunt doubles MMA superwoman Ronda Rousey, is an icon within the Sport Karate world and is now leaving her mark in the Hollywood world as well. Check out this great article on Caitlin and her role in Fast and Furious 7 courtesy of Black Belt Magazine...." Mmmm :cool:

Latest Discussions