Need Your Help...

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm 16years old, 6'2ft.tall, I weigh about 128-135lb the most. The last time I weighed myself was in August, I was 128lb. Yes, I'm skinny, I have a fast metabilism, I eat a lot, eat a little, eat 2 or 3 times or even 1 time per day still no gain weight. I am still boney. I can show you guys some pictures later of my arms, I have experience in Shotokan Karate & Hung-Gar kung-fu. I don't know why I haven't gained weight, when I was in hung-gar it was so hard the training & I was suppose to get some arms at least, all I got is that I'm a Tall, Strong Skinny person. Yes, I play basketball also, I am not training since Feb2002. I would like to know what you guys recommend me to do? other than lifting weights.

Thanks

T

theneuhauser

hey, dont feel bad because youre skinny. most people wish they were skinny like you. also you are so young that your body is probably still trying to grow taller. after its done doing that, then you will start to get thicker. its just nature, consider your genetics, also. who in your family is/was built the way you are? so you have to keep eating and just stay in shape, the rest will come later.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it, grant it I haven't sen you, but if you are seriously wanting to gain weight, weight training is the way to go. Seek a professional trainer, they can give you recomendations to some weight gain formulas as well. Make sure when your eating that you are eating healthy and drinking lots of water, that will help a bit as well. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, train to the level you want to be at, you will get there and in the mean time, most likely gain some muscle too.
Hung Gar is a good system and is quite hard as far as training, regardless of your system, train hard and long, you will see results.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

hey, dont feel bad because youre skinny. most people wish they were skinny like you. also you are so young that your body is probably still trying to grow taller. after its done doing that, then you will start to get thicker. its just nature, consider your genetics, also. who in your family is/was built the way you are? so you have to keep eating and just stay in shape, the rest will come later.

Oops, didn't see this one, I agree though, just train and let it come!

7sm

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

Well, being skinny is not always good, although I am glad & I thank I went in Hung-Gar my health was even better than before, but I always had good defense system and good health. My health was so good before n while in hung-gar my doctor said he wished he had my health. I did went through hard times in hung-gar but it was for my own good, I thought hey I would get some bigger arms than what i have now. imagine, if im 6'2feet tall, and weigh 128-135lb i should say. :confused:
i dont want to put be fat, but at least i would like to weigh 140-145 , well yea thats what some people tell me that im still growing, well my father said he started to see weigh changes after he was a man, and he's 46yrs old, 5'11. he was 6'1ft.tall thats the tallest i can remember, he weighs about 160-165 he says. i think a tiny bit more. his weigh was before 170-175 1 year ago he told me, now he said he weighs 160-165. he dont look skinny n he's not skinny, he got good arm n wrist compare to me, i have little wrist, big fist, everything long lol, my cousin even called me BONEZ last year, he said i should use that nickname cuz it goes with me, i felt dissed. thank for ur comments

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

I wouldn't worry too much about it, grant it I haven't sen you, but if you are seriously wanting to gain weight, weight training is the way to go. Seek a professional trainer, they can give you recomendations to some weight gain formulas as well. Make sure when your eating that you are eating healthy and drinking lots of water, that will help a bit as well. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, train to the level you want to be at, you will get there and in the mean time, most likely gain some muscle too.
Hung Gar is a good system and is quite hard as far as training, regardless of your system, train hard and long, you will see results.

7sm
LoL... My last sifu said, I'm gonna get some arms out of you. But I didn't see the arms, well I didn't stay long enough due to problems.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Oops, didn't see this one, I agree though, just train and let it come!

7sm

LoL...I cannot get some girls that I want becuz i'm skinny n you know how teenagers are. well i will just try to be happy with how i am, and i can get a lot of girls, i just think sometimes that becuz im so skinny they wont come up to me, how other girls come up to other guys. i hate being in t-shirt because people can see my forearm. and is skinny, :(

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by CrushingFist

LoL... My last sifu said, I'm gonna get some arms out of you. But I didn't see the arms, well I didn't stay long enough due to problems.

Maybe that is part of the problem, whatever training regiment you start, stay at it, work harder each day at it and you will see results.
At 16 you may not believe this, but if the girl doesn't want to date you or approach you because of the size of your arms, then she isn't worth dating anyway.

7sm

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Maybe that is part of the problem, whatever training regiment you start, stay at it, work harder each day at it and you will see results.
At 16 you may not believe this, but if the girl doesn't want to date you or approach you because of the size of your arms, then she isn't worth dating anyway.

7sm
Those are only some girls. ;)
I need to worry more on my school, job hunt to have some $$, and martial arts. then the girls if i have time, basketball is included with school

Thanks though, is very true

F

fringe_dweller

I used to be in the same position as you, no weight gain no matter what I did and I hated being "the skinny guy". When I hit 23 (I'm now 24) all of a sudden the weight came. I went from 68kg (140?) to 85kg (180?) within six months.
I hadn't changed what I was eating or how I was training, just the sideways growth spurt that started when the upwards one finished.

E

Elfan

To gain weght: intake more calories than you need. If you need 2000 a day on average (you probably need a lot more) then it is not possible to gain weight unless you eat at least 2001 calories worth of food a day. I'm tall and skinny (not as much as you) and weight train so I have to eat LOTS of food. I would highly recomend a progresive wieght training routine as well as I doubt you want to get fat.(www.cyberpump.com used to have a huge amount of good info but I idon't think they are free anymore, PM/e-mail me if you want me to find others)

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by fringe_dweller

I used to be in the same position as you, no weight gain no matter what I did and I hated being "the skinny guy". When I hit 23 (I'm now 24) all of a sudden the weight came. I went from 68kg (140?) to 85kg (180?) within six months.
I hadn't changed what I was eating or how I was training, just the sideways growth spurt that started when the upwards one finished.
Wow, I have to wait so long lol. how tall are you?
well, i am happy in 1 way, i am 6'2 & i guess i will keep growing :) i have better chances to make it to the nba. but still i am going to take a picture, i am going to try today. so ya can see.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

To gain weght: intake more calories than you need. If you need 2000 a day on average (you probably need a lot more) then it is not possible to gain weight unless you eat at least 2001 calories worth of food a day. I'm tall and skinny (not as much as you) and weight train so I have to eat LOTS of food. I would highly recomend a progresive wieght training routine as well as I doubt you want to get fat.(www.cyberpump.com used to have a huge amount of good info but I idon't think they are free anymore, PM/e-mail me if you want me to find others)
Thanks, but right now I don't wanna lift weights not even if that's the only way I'll gain weight. I rather do lots of pushups n exercise to get stronger that way. I wonder if a person has big arms/muscles because of the weights, does that means they are strong? for example. i read that there's 2 type of muscle, endurance n just those muscle u get from weights. bruce lee had endurance muscle, guess those really work.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
you're only sixteen man...trust me, one day you'll be longing for the days when you didn't have to worry about what you eat.:D

you'll most likely fill out a little bit...if you do start with weights, do it smart. find a lifting program somewhere, or in the extreme case, go to a YMCA and see if you can get some personal training and diet advice. plus, to bulk, you'll need to eat anything and everything in sight with metabolism like that.

R

rmcrobertson

I doubt this'll make any difference, but all you have to do is to wait. At 16, I was pushing 6 feet and weighed around 130; at 21, around 6 feet and 141--my weight went up about 10 pounds every five years until it plateaud out around 185-195 in my forties.

Leave it alone. You're right on track--and we have no idea what the long-term effects of jacking around with diet/exercise/supplements to increase weight might be.

And oh yeah. The US, as I imagine you're seen in the news, now has a big problem with obese kids. Leave it alone. Lard will come all too soon, trust me.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When my younger brother was around 16, he had a massive growth spurt and ended up towering over me. Like you, he was extremely skinny. To put on weight, he went to the gym nearly everyday to lift weights and play basketball. Also, he watched his eating habits, eating a lot of protein-rich food after his workouts and exercise. After about a year of this, he put on a considerable amount of muscle.

Cthulhu

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you have a decent iron intake. You will never put on weight other than fat if you are slightly anaemic.

With the iron (preferably the good stuff) make sure your vitamin E intake is good, or you'll still get nowhere.

If your body cannot create the new blood vessels it needs to feed muscle it will not create that muscle.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos

you're only sixteen man...trust me, one day you'll be longing for the days when you didn't have to worry about what you eat.:D

you'll most likely fill out a little bit...if you do start with weights, do it smart. find a lifting program somewhere, or in the extreme case, go to a YMCA and see if you can get some personal training and diet advice. plus, to bulk, you'll need to eat anything and everything in sight with metabolism like that.

lol.

I eat almost everything n anything that comes my way, i dont buy junk food tho, except i buy candy, to eat in school.

OP
CrushingFist

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by rmcrobertson

I doubt this'll make any difference, but all you have to do is to wait. At 16, I was pushing 6 feet and weighed around 130; at 21, around 6 feet and 141--my weight went up about 10 pounds every five years until it plateaud out around 185-195 in my forties.

Leave it alone. You're right on track--and we have no idea what the long-term effects of jacking around with diet/exercise/supplements to increase weight might be.

And oh yeah. The US, as I imagine you're seen in the news, now has a big problem with obese kids. Leave it alone. Lard will come all too soon, trust me.
Ok thanks
but everybody calls me names since i can ever remember being small. they called me spanish names like palillo meanin toothpick, palo e lu, meanin lightstick, a bulb in a stick form, ekeleto, meanin skeleton, flaco meanin skinny, carabela.. stuff like that i felt really bad at times.

Latest Discussions