Beginning Hung Gar at over 40?

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm looking at possibly taking Hung Gar here in NY City at Yee's Hung Gar. My goal is to teach martial arts after I retire and at my age, I don't think I'll have enough of the martial aspect in Tai Chi 16 years from now.

I'm of course looking to get back into shape after too much weight gain and sedentary life. Would any of you recommend Hung Gar in my case?

How long does it take typically for someone to begin to use it for self-defense and with competence if that person puts in a reasonable amount of days of class time (of course have to practice when not in class)?

I want to retire at an age where I can enjoy it and still be able to teach.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm looking at possibly taking Hung Gar here in NY City at Yee's Hung Gar. My goal is to teach martial arts after I retire and at my age, I don't think I'll have enough of the martial aspect in Tai Chi 16 years from now.
Excellent choice! There is no reason why you can't learn Hung-Ga or any other martial art. Being in NYC gives you many CMA styles to choose from. Hung-Ga has an steep learning curve in the begining, just remember there is a method to the madness. :)
I'm of course looking to get back into shape after too much weight gain and sedentary life. Would any of you recommend Hung Gar in my case?
No matter what physcial activity you choose, coming from a sedentary lifestyle you are going to be sore for a week or two. The body will adjust quickly. The basics of Hung-Ga will get you moving. It's amazing how much the body shakes during stance training.
How long does it take typically for someone to begin to use it for self-defense and with competence if that person puts in a reasonable amount of days of class time (of course have to practice when not in class)?
Raw basic skill in about 4 to 6 months. Train it right & it will be there for you when you need it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't get real serious about MA training until I hit my early 40's....

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't get real serious about MA training until I hit my early 40's....

Same here.

It's definitely a different mindset than the run 'n gun 20-somethings and early/mid 30-somethings. But a lot of advantages, too. As in: you recognize BS immediately, and know life's too short to mess with it.

I don't know an awful lot about Hung Ga, but it's Southern CMA as is my beloved Kung Fu San Soo. Don't think you'd be sorry, esp. with a really good instructor. Hope you're able to keep us posted as you go.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I want to retire at an age where I can enjoy it and still be able to teach.

At your age….hey wait a minute….. didn’t you tell me you trained taiji with Luchan :)

Don’t know much about Hung gar (other than it is a Southern CMA) but I started non-sport Sanda in my 40s and it hurt.... for... well... it still hurts.... but I'm still in my 40s and it has been about a year so I am hoping by the time I retire it no longer hurts.

Go for it.

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope you didn't take my BWAAHAAAHAAAA!!! too seriously. I am only speaking from my recent experience which may not apply to you at all. I think it is great that you are considering starting at any age. Just that I know for me, I don't bounce out of bed in the morning like I used to. However, I also know that I feel soooo much better than I did even a few months ago. As my weight drops and I toughen up, it will get easier.

Your results may vary. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
but I'm still in my 40s and it has been about a year so I am hoping by the time I retire it no longer hurts..

That's where liberal applications of Tigers Balm and Jack Daniels help..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't drink, so you can have mine.

Thanks but to be entirely honest, I don't drink much anymore and by many definitions I don't drink at all. It depends on whether or not you consider what amounts to about 1 or 2 drinks a year is drinking.

But I don't use tiger balm either, my wife is a TCM doc, I get fre acupuncture

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks but to be entirely honest, I don't drink much anymore and by many definitions I don't drink at all. It depends on whether or not you consider what amounts to about 1 or 2 drinks a year is drinking.

Seriously, good to see so many of us are non-drinkers. For myself, I drank an ocean before I saw what it was doing to my family/life, and got serious about MA instead. Heard a Grand Master say, you can't drink or drug and do this, and since my goal is to move like he does when I grow up (at 55 he still thinks I'm just a boy), I'll take the MA. :ultracool

But I don't use tiger balm either, my wife is a TCM doc, I get fre acupuncture
Cheater. :lol2:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Seriously, good to see so many of us are non-drinkers. For myself, I drank an ocean before I saw what it was doing to my family/life, and got serious about MA instead. Heard a Grand Master say, you can't drink or drug and do this, and since my goal is to move like he does when I grow up (at 55 he still thinks I'm just a boy), I'll take the MA. :ultracool

The way I figure it you are required to drink so much per life time and by the time I was 25 I had drank enough for this one and a few more, so I pretty much stopped….. 5 years later.

Cheater. :lol2:

Don't make me start bragging about the free herbal. :)