Need help ordering Sparring Gear

mdrkcckv

White Belt
Reaction score
Guys, my boys are looking into sparring for competition. Im looking at the sets and some say that they are WTF certified and some don't. The set in particular i am looking at is a vision Deluxe set that says all you need for practice and competition. On this set though I don't see anything that says WTF certified other than the description. I know the Adidas Supreme is very nice but its almost 300 per set. Some of the others are 150 to 200 per set.

Does anyone know where to find the official list of what is accepted by the WTF and what is not.
9a7ba386-765f-4e27-885f-7bb911f60953.png

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've looked around and like you said it's difficult to find any list or writing anywhere that says this is WTF approved gear.

I will say that my brother is secretary for the state association and his students compete at many WTF/USAT events and they pretty much exclusively use Vision gear.
As far as I know this is all approved equipment, but I couldn't find anything that says that clearly.

Also in my experience atleast around the US there is never any strict equipment check at any competition other than a superficial glance over the main body, and a checking for groin protector and mouth piece.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What level of competition are they looking to do? You only need WTF-certified gear for national/international-level tournaments. For most tournaments, the set you posted would be more than sufficient. Though boys will need a cup, which I don't see listed.

Oh, and how old are your boys? In my experience, kids under 8 or so usually hate that kind of arm and shin pads, and do better with the kind that look like cloth sleeves (the cloth kind are softer and need less breaking-in). Which are also fine for local tournaments.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
You will find a list of recognized brands here:

WTF Recognized Companies

Nevertheless, as it was already said, on regional level your kids will be fine with gear that's not recognized. It should be Taekwondo gear though. ;-)

You may also check eBay for used protection gear since there are a lot of kids who loose interest or grow out of their protection gear. There's no need to always go for new stuff, especially when kids may grow out of their stuff soon. Plus all protection gear can be washed in a washing machine.

Also keep in mind that gear changes. For example old vests don't have those shoulder pieces. So even if there's a WTF-approval on gear, it doesn't mean that it's up to date.

Besides the cod piece another item you wanna buy new is obviously the mouth guard. If your kids want to compete in tournaments then they should also spar with mouth guards every now and then in order to get used to them.

OP
M

mdrkcckv

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your help. I already have the cup and fully intend to get mouth guards. I just didnt list them as i already know what to get.

Last edited:
OP
M

mdrkcckv

White Belt
Reaction score
"What level of competition are they looking to do? You only need WTF-certified gear for national/international-level tournaments. For most tournaments, the set you posted would be more than sufficient. Though boys will need a cup, which I don't see listed."

The boys will most likely be at regional and state level competitions. Our school does go to nationals so maybe we will end up there. Its so hard to tell with kids if their going to have passion for it or lose interest. The gear i buy, i want to be ready for anything because i dont want to buy a second set.

"Oh, and how old are your boys? In my experience, kids under 8 or so usually hate that kind of arm and shin pads, and do better with the kind that look like cloth sleeves (the cloth kind are softer and need less breaking-in). Which are also fine for local tournaments"

Boys are 7 and 8 yrs old. Ill look for cloth type pads. If you don't mind, could you post a link or picture of exactly what your talking about?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 8 year old prefers the cloth ones as well. They don't slip around as much, there's no velcro to come loose, etc.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear. The cloth ones are not wtf approved and wouldn't pass at nationals.
BUT they are fairly comfortable and inexpensive as far as gear goes. So getting cloth now and vinyl later wouldn't really break the bank.