My new labour of love...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful. Is that hardwood flooring you've got in that one room? Tell me about the paneling over the fireplace and on the ceiling and what appears to be a mock stove.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful. Is that hardwood flooring you've got in that one room? Tell me about the paneling over the fireplace and on the ceiling and what appears to be a mock stove.

The pine paneling is tongue/groove lumber. The small mock stove is and electric heater the previous owners left behind. I used it for heat when I was working on the room. Eventually there will be a pellet stove in that toom. The flooring is actually a hardwood laminate from Armstrong. It has real layer of wood but it is actually a floating floor that locks together.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I have one question....

When are you planning the MT get together cause I have to block it off on my schedule.

I like fishing. I grew up fishing. I even bait my own hooks and everything. I would make a fantastic guest. I cook too. :boing2::boing2:

You name the time, I will bring the drinks! :drinkbeer

In case you haven't figured it out.....I AM SOOO FREAKIN' JEALOUS!!!!!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your new house is just gorgeous! And it's giving me ideas for mine (nowhere near as nice a location, but mine!) down the road... Congratulations!

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few more. And yes snow in mid April!

New screened porch...

Attachments

• $sideporch.jpg
    $sideporch.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 121
  • $sideporch2.jpg
    $sideporch2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 121
  • $sidedoor.jpg
    $sidedoor.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 115
OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Latest work...

Attachments

• $vt_house_14.jpg
    $vt_house_14.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 107
  • $vt_house_12.jpg
    $vt_house_12.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 105
  • $vt_house_8.jpg
    $vt_house_8.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 110
  • $vt_house_4.jpg
    $vt_house_4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
  • $vt_house_3.jpg
    $vt_house_3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 103

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HK, others have already said it and I can only add my meagre words to theirs ... wonderful!

My dream is a house, by a lake, in a forest, one road, no phone ... bliss.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
HK, others have already said it and I can only add my meagre words to theirs ... wonderful!

My dream is a house, by a lake, in a forest, one road, no phone ... bliss.

Just need to dump the phone. My internet access is bad enough. I finally cut the cord and now leave the laptop at home. I am online 14-16 hours a day for work. I have finally learned there is a limit. :) My laptop has been replace by tools. Creating with my hands has brought the most fulfilment to my life. This house brought life back into perspective.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite right, sir :tup:. I too have found that despite all my education, the most fulfilment I've found is either with the growing or the making of things with my own hands.

I'm not saying I'm particularly skilled at either (I'm more of a 'chippie' than a cabinetmaker for example :eek:) but the satisfaction is undeniable.

As for the 'no phone' ideal, I don't believe that with my missus's umbilical connection to telecomms I'll ever be free of the 'ringing curse' :lol:.

That's an awful lot of on-line time too my friend. I probably spend as many hours in front of a computer tho' (control systems designer for the National Grid).

It also has to be said that the no-phone prohibition probably would not extend to a no-broadband ban - I'd miss all you lot for a start :D.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are really inspiring me HKP :) :) :)

I may be in a position to buy a home towards the end of this year. I've been eyeing places on the web that are a bit more rural now that I work an hour further north than where I live.

I hope that maybe before too long I'll have a small dream of my own. Now all I need is someone to share it with...LOL!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is absolutely gorgeous - I love the whole kitchen, but especially flooring!

So... any tips? I'm going to renovate my basement, but the farthest I've gotten is starting to take down the walls - at which point I discovered there was nothing behind the panelling but the studs, which is okay, because I'm going to move the walls.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some new photos...
Still working on the rock garden.

Attachments

• $livingroom_1.jpg
    $livingroom_1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 118
  • $masterbath_1.jpg
    $masterbath_1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 126
  • $livingroom_2.jpg
    $livingroom_2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 139
  • $sideyard_2.jpg
    $sideyard_2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 118
  • $sideyard_3.jpg
    $sideyard_3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 144
  • $sideyard_4.jpg
    $sideyard_4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 140

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh how I weep for the times we could do such things in England :(.

Because of highly draconian forestry laws, we are simply not permitted to build anything 'permanent' in wooded areas - this is being interpreted so stringently that even existing structures (that pass through inheritence) have every obstacle possible put in the way of their upkeep and maintenance.

It's yet another example of well intentioned legislation (intended to protect woodland from development) being used for purposes other than intended.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh how I weep for the times we could do such things in England :(.

Because of highly draconian forestry laws, we are simply not permitted to build anything 'permanent' in wooded areas - this is being interpreted so stringently that even existing structures (that pass through inheritence) have every obstacle possible put in the way of their upkeep and maintenance.

It's yet another example of well intentioned legislation (intended to protect woodland from development) being used for purposes other than intended.

For every tree I cut down, I plant new ones. :)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good man :tup:.

I believe that everyone with a sense of responsibilty would do the same but the law, as I am sure is a surprise to everyone, is a somewhat draconian *** with no capability for compromise.

There was even a case recently of a Forestry Commision fellow who built his in-the-woods- house out entirely degradable and recyclable materials, replenishing any timber he used. The legal fight he had to get permission was unbelievable. Even then, he had to pre-write a clause for his will that the structure was to be torn down on his death so that he could not pass it on to his heirs :grr:.

Latest Discussions