My favorite weapons on board breaking

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Giving I am not so flexible and light my board breacking is using power, I use the fist,the elbow and the side kick using a stack of 3 one inch pine boards.

Yes, it will be awesome to perform aerial kicks when doing board breaking but I am not a child anymore, so instead of fly or sping or jump I use more boards and do static board breaking.

Can you advise me in another board breacking tech suitable for a mature guy?

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm an Old Fart too (48 next month).

Breaking, especially in demos, is as much showing off as anything else. This is not a bad thing, as one of the things you're showing off is the power you've learned to deliver.

Rather than do flying kicks, I prefer to do multiple breaks while standing on the ground. Especially if they can be related to real world defense techniques.

One example: I think anyone who has set foot in a MA school of any flavor has seen this scenario. An attacker grabs you from behind in a bear hug. The defender strikes back with an elbow to the ribs, a backfist to the groin, steps forward from the now loose grip and turns to strike the head. Do this with boards. 3" held at the ribs, groin and side of the head.

Another of my favorites is a 4 strike combo. Boards on all four sides. No pauses in between. Strike backwards with the right elbow, then forward with the same fist. That takes care of the "attackers" behind and in front of you. Now strike the "opponent" on your right with your left fist. This will turn you to the correct position to finish the last "opponent" with a back/side kick.

I'm intentionally trying to avoid any style-specific terms here.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I liked doing speed breaks - someone holding a borad with only 2 fingers.

Another is touching the board with your finger tips - and without pulling back - only moving forward punch and break the board.

Things like that to make it interesting. And never walk up and practice the technique first, judging your distance - that's for beginners who don't know their sense of distance - just walk up and 'do it' (one clean shot).

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
the older guys or more inflexible guys at my club tend to break with axe kicks or jump turn side kicks.

Latest Discussions