Parties and good kyorugi

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last thursday and friday we were celebrating two nice things, the sambunim's 55 birthday and the Hwarang Tae Kwon Do dojang's 24 birthday.

My sambunim Miguel Angel Carillo founder and CEO of Hwarang Tae Kwon Do started on MDK dojang back in 1973 since then he has devote to the teaching on TKD and the formation of young promises national and international, he has a high rank amoung the University Games (Universiada) and is one of the best TKD sambonims there are in Mexico.

Last thursday we had not class but instead we offer sambunim a nice Mexican party, we had tacos, cake, sodas and a good time sharing with sambunim and all his students. The next day sambunim has a nice meeting in one's of the best universities in my town, I can't make it because of the work but that night we had a terrific friday night class because profesor Cesar Carillo (sambunim's son) brought some of his best Black Belts from Mexico City.

The class consited of a good streching session and then we did Shyrum (korean wrestling) and kyorugi. I won my division (super heavy jejejeje) on shyrum, it was not easy the young guy I had as a foe was my size,weight and was strong so the first round (standing) I had a hard time trying to bring him down till I did it. Doing shyrum on kneeling position I won three times.

Afther shyrum sambunim asked us to put on our sparring equipment, I only had the shin/instep pads and the elbow/forearm pads, I don't have a helmet and don't have a hogu.... so well some good samaritan can borrow me those but... nop nobody could borrow me this items.

-What the hell .... I said..... let's do it the old way, the way I like it, like in the older days.

Again I had to compete against the same guy I did before and just keep saying to myself protect your face, protect your face, who knows how good is this guy.

So I started with a hand shake and took the lead, kicks combos conecting good points to the hogu and some high kicks that didi'nt make it to the head, my oponent liked to counter so he got me twice with solid kicks to the mid section. Most of the kicks I got I blocked efectively so no harm, at the end as I was the atacker mostly of the time I ran out of gas so I had to clinch some times and use my fists at close range.

There were no winner this time cause it was a friendly match, I just shake hands again and give my foe a good hug and thanked him for the good sparring. I felt I was the winner cause I did more points and was more agrecive but the good thing was I had not sparr for some time and was not so sure to do it right but was wrong, I did it very well.

At the end of the class I realice I never felt pain or disconfort about being kicked at the mid section, and also realice the forearm pads worked flawlesly tacking the heavy pounding of the kicks I bloked.

We finish the class with another cake to sambunim and a nice chat amoung our visitors and the class.

I returned home euphoric and feeling great, when having bath I noticed a great bruise on my lefth shoulder with some pain, I think it was a high kick of my oponent that landed there, and noticed my forearms with bruises too but they did not hurt so the forearm pads absorved most of the kicks but the force was such that even with the pads I got bruises (who says TKD is for sissies).

When wife saw my bruised forearms and shoulder opened her eyes wide out and asked if they hurt and I told her not and that were the price for having a gladiator for husband :jediduel:

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of the class I realice I never felt pain or disconfort about being kicked at the mid section, and also realice the forearm pads worked flawlesly tacking the heavy pounding of the kicks I bloked.
Give it some time. I never feel the pain right after either. It is a couple days later that I have to think back as to remember why am I sore here or there. Funny how that works.

Thanks for the story.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... yes I have some pain but is not because the kicks but the wrestling (lactid acid), I used so much force in the clinchs and remeber we did only streching, yes mi back,shoulders,arms and chest are swore but was for the wrestling.

Manny

Latest Discussions