My 1st Motorcycle

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. It would be my 1st and I have never ridden one before. Any tips, suggestions, opinions, etc.??

I want a Hayabusa but people tell me that as a first time rider that is way too much power and I should look at 600cc - 1000cc bike instead. I only want a sport bike.

I want something used so what year should I not go past? Also does the miles on it make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not ridden in years, so I cannot advise you on make or model.

I can tell you a few things, if you don't mind.

Helmet laws suck. But helmets save lives. Wear a helmet if you value your life. Wear leathers and good boots at all times. I see too many young people on sport bikes in traffic with no helmets (sometimes no eye protection!), shorts, and tennis shoes.

Here's the thing. There are only two kinds of motorcycle rider. Those who have crashed, and those who have not crashed yet. You will put the bike down, and it is going to hurt. How much it hurts and how permanent the damage is can be at least partially controlled by you.

Safety classes don't just teach how to ride, they also teach how to crash. Knowing how to put that bike down is an important skill.

And please don't be an idiot in traffic. I a pro-motorcycle and I always try to look out for motorcyclists. I give them the same space I would give a car, I don't tailgate them, and I try not to turn in front of them. Even though they can out-accelerate and out-turn and out-stop me, I pretend they can't, for their safety. But when I see some young idiot in traffic, riding up on car bumpers when traffic isn't moving fast enough to suit them, splitting lanes (it's legal in California, but still dumb, IMHO), and otherwise playing the fool, it ticks me off.

The good thing is, the stupid ones generally kill themselves fairly quickly.

I was second or third on the scene at a motorcycle versus semi accident on Rattlesnake Canyon road at Camp Pendleton, CA in the early 1980's. Bike came around a blind corner at speed, a semi was turning left and blocking the road with the box trailer. The bike went down sideways, and the rider hit his head going under the trailer. He looked OK, but his brains were coming out his nostrils.

I rode stupid too. Thankfully, I lived. Try not to have to do that.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a motorcycle. It would be my 1st and I have never ridden one before. Any tips, suggestions, opinions, etc.??

I want a Hayabusa but people tell me that as a first time rider that is way too much power and I should look at 600cc - 1000cc bike instead. I only want a sport bike.

I want something used so what year should I not go past? Also does the miles on it make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Mileage just means the bike has been broken in..ALL of my bikes have been used and I have never had a lick of problem with them..IMHO sports bikes are crap..How can you master balance and steering when you look like a monkey hunping a football???

Get a regular bike where you sit up straight and put in a year of riding, then you can graduate to a crotch rocket..I dont know about where you are but here until you were able to get your permenant MC license you had to stay off the freeways, 600cc is MORE than enough power for a starter bike..I first learned on a 350cc and then I went to 1000cc...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say best of luck to you and if my wife ever says I can have one again I will. I a so jealous of all of you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.Helmet laws suck. But helmets save lives

Not always..As a beginner wear it..

Wear leathers and good boots at all times. I see too many young people on sport bikes in traffic with no helmets (sometimes no eye protection!), shorts, and tennis shoes.

GREAT points Bill..I have seen them up here wearing those "onion skin" running shorts and flip flops on a crotch rocket or a sports bike...And they pass by me like I am in reverse and I always drive a little fast..

There are only two kinds of motorcycle rider. Those who have crashed, and those who have not crashed yet. You will put the bike down, and it is going to hurt. How much it hurts and how permanent the damage is can be at least partially controlled by you.

AMEN Brother...Been down 4 times (sans helmet) and walked away with the exception of a little road rash..If your bike has engine guards called by some crash bars its a good thing..If ya feel yourself going down clamp your legs around the gas tank and hang on..The only time a got a little injuey was when I tried to roll away from the bike..

Safety classes don't just teach how to ride, they also teach how to crash. Knowing how to put that bike down is an important skill.

If you forego the safety classes that's up to you, if offered TAKE THEM..Once you have mastered the shifting and stopping in some parking lot, GET OUT ON THE STREETS...Some motard tried to teach my step daughter how to ride, he kept her in a parking lot for about a month and she wasnt learning..About one day with me on the streets and she had a confidence to ride anywhere..

And please don't be an idiot in traffic. I am pro-motorcycle and I always try to look out for motorcyclists. I give them the same space I would give a car, I don't tailgate them, and I try not to turn in front of them. Even though they can out-accelerate and out-turn and out-stop me, I pretend they can't, for their safety. But when I see some young idiot in traffic, riding up on car bumpers when traffic isn't moving fast enough to suit them, splitting lanes (it's legal in California, but still dumb, IMHO), and otherwise playing the fool, it ticks me off.

Read and Heed what Brother Bill says..The most common statement I hear and car vs motorcycle accidents is "I didnt see the motorcycle"

The good thing is, the stupid ones generally kill themselves fairly quickly.

Yup...

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself got my first motorbike(moped) about a year ago. i didn't even get to enjoy the summer as i slipped and crashed into a tram. Bike got mangled, totaled... fortunately i dismounted with aerial acrobatics to save my skin.
So sad....my little longjia alien....RIP little ningbo bike.

If i had the finances, i'd get myself a honda hornet...my ultimate favorite bike- fireblade is pretty hot too, but a tad too strong and looks to speedy...i like the hornet because i find it is the perfect balance between speed and looks.

j

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah man, that Hyabusa is gonna have too much power. What I suggest, buy a cheap "beater bike" with a lower engine size... find an old Ninja or a GSX or something similar for around a grand. Ride it for the summer so you get a good feel for the experience, then go get a good bike in the fall, sell your little one, ride the new one a little and store it till spring.

Having the experience on the smaller bike will make you more comfortable on the bigger more powerful ride, and you will be less likley to damage your wheels or your noggin.

*edit* and as far as the mileage goes... Just make sure it has good tires. Some people never change them unless they have to.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah man, that Hyabusa is gonna have too much power. What I suggest, buy a cheap "beater bike" with a lower engine size... find an old Ninja or a GSX or something similar for around a grand. Ride it for the summer so you get a good feel for the experience, then go get a good bike in the fall, sell your little one, ride the new one a little and store it till spring.

Having the experience on the smaller bike will make you more comfortable on the bigger more powerful ride, and you will be less likley to damage your wheels or your noggin.

*edit* and as far as the mileage goes... Just make sure it has good tires. Some people never change them unless they have to.

Good post Cyro...If your buying from a reputable dealer you should have no problems..Buying out of the newspaper is risky..

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for scaring me!!!!

lol

I will stop looking for Hayabusa's and look for a nice used 600-750 bike.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mileage just means the bike has been broken in..ALL of my bikes have been used and I have never had a lick of problem with them..IMHO sports bikes are crap..How can you master balance and steering when you look like a monkey hunping a football???

Get a regular bike where you sit up straight and put in a year of riding, then you can graduate to a crotch rocket..I dont know about where you are but here until you were able to get your permenant MC license you had to stay off the freeways, 600cc is MORE than enough power for a starter bike..I first learned on a 350cc and then I went to 1000cc...

Sorry but, I just need to correct your statement. I have been riding for 30 yrs. (mostly standard and cruisers with a dabble of sportbike here and there. I currently ride a 2004 ZRX1200R standard) and hear this all the time, just trying to set the record straight and educate where I can.

I'm not sure but, I think sport bikes were designed to be extremely well suited for balance and steering ie; rake, trail, COG, Suspesion, braking, ect. more so than a standard or a cruiser type motorcycle.

How do I come to this conclusion? Here's a little Hint....That's why all the professional and amateur road racers ride them. I don't see any vulcans or sportsters on the track...I wonder why that is?

So, if he is a new rider... a "crotch rocket" (vulgar term BTW) as you say would not be a bad choice. As far as power goes 250, 500, 600, 750......Yes.

A Busa? for a first time rider?

That would fall into the DEFINATELY NOT.. A BIG FAT NO category.

yours in Budo
Michael

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry but, I just need to correct your statement. I have been riding for 30 yrs. (mostly standard and cruisers with a dabble of sportbike here and there. I currently ride a 2004 ZRX1200R standard) and hear this all the time, just trying to set the record straight and educate where I can.

I'm not sure but, I think sport bikes were designed to be extremely well suited for balance and steering ie; rake, trail, COG, Suspesion, braking, ect. more so than a standard or a cruiser type motorcycle.

How do I come to this conclusion? Here's a little Hint....That's why all the professional and amateur road racers ride them. I don't see any vulcans or sportsters on the track...I wonder why that is?

So, if he is a new rider... a "crotch rocket" (vulgar term BTW) as you say would not be a bad choice. As far as power goes 250, 500, 600, 750......Yes.

yours in Budo
Michael

We all have our likes and dislike..We have been riding for the same amount of years..I too have ridden almost EVERYTHING out there..BSA's, Ducati's,Triumphs and choppers of all styles etc...etc...IMHO opinion crotch rockets or sports bike are not a good starter bikes..I have gotten this same argument about balance and the fact that racers ride them.. No you dont see Vulcans or Sportys on the track cause they were made for the street..And all the crotch rockets I believe belong on the track TRACK..Of all the traffic stop I have made it was always a kid of a japper that got the speeding ticket...

A Busa? for a first time rider? That would fall into the DEFINATELY NOT.. A BIG FAT NO category.

At least we agree on that 100%...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for scaring me!!!!

lol

I will stop looking for Hayabusa's and look for a nice used 600-750 bike.

If us relating these stories scare ya maybe you should rethink your decision about riding..Riding on the streets, highways and turnpikes is just pain scary the first time...I had cramps in my hand from gripping the bars too tight...Now if our sharing these incidents makes you can't wait to get out there, then you have been bitten by the bug...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Riding on the streets, highways and turnpikes is just pain scary the first time.

Remember the first time you went over RR tracks at a crossing, where the tracks crossed the road not at a 90 degree angle and the bike wanted to 'track' into the space between the rails?

In SoCal, we had those crazy 'rain' grooves in the highway, which on a smaller bike tries to grab the handlebars out of your hands.

Nothing like the first time a rock tossed up by a car wheel bounces off your noggin (or faceshield on a helmet).

I was wearing a jean jacket once on I-5 and no shirt, the jacket was gapped open and I got hit square in the chest by a big fat bumblebee, which disintegrated on impact. I actually though I had been shot for a second.

Ah, but there is nothing like it when you twist the wick in the twisties and the bike just gobbles the road up in front of you. You lean into the turns and feel like the world belongs to you - and wonder how you can ever enjoy driving a car again.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember the first time you went over RR tracks at a crossing, where the tracks crossed the road not at a 90 degree angle and the bike wanted to 'track' into the space between the rails?

In SoCal, we had those crazy 'rain' grooves in the highway, which on a smaller bike tries to grab the handlebars out of your hands.

Nothing like the first time a rock tossed up by a car wheel bounces off your noggin (or faceshield on a helmet).

I was wearing a jean jacket once on I-5 and no shirt, the jacket was gapped open and I got hit square in the chest by a big fat bumblebee, which disintegrated on impact. I actually though I had been shot for a second.

Ah, but there is nothing like it when you twist the wick in the twisties and the bike just gobbles the road up in front of you. You lean into the turns and feel like the world belongs to you - and wonder how you can ever enjoy driving a car again.

Ahhhhhhhhh, yes memories...Crossing one of Cleveland's lift bridges that have steel grating on the road surface and not concrete is another thrill, especially when wet.Speaking of wet, how about the first time you get caught in a rain storm? What about the first time a tractor-trailer passes you like an ICBF Missle??

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhh, yes memories...Crossing one of Cleveland's lift bridges that have steel grating on the road surface and not concrete is another thrill, especially when wet.Speaking of wet, how about the first time you get caught in a rain storm? What about the first time a tractor-trailer passes you like an ICBF Missle??

Oh yeah, rain drops hitting like bullets, I remember that. I also remember drafting up hills behind semis (not recommended). The semis passing and buffeting you are not as bad nowadays, they all have those wind deflectors on top of the cab to save their diesel fuel - but back before they all had them, man could you tell the difference. A semi would pass going the other way and you'd like to be taken right off the bloody bike.

I remember riding up and over in Flagstaff, AZ once in March. It started to snow - I had no idea it snowed in AZ in March, but I didn't know Flagstaff. I ended up finding a dumpster and making makeshift shinguards out of cardboard boxes and duct tape - my legs and knees were literally freezing solid from thrown-up slush. I stopped the bike at a red light and nearly fell over when I could not put my foot down - the knee would not bend.

Remember riding all day and then seeing 'pink' in the urinal later? Shake those kidneys!

EDIT:

I also remember borrowing my brother-in-law's 1978 Yamaha XS1100 with was bored over, had smooth-bore mikunis and kerker exhaust, out in Twenty-Nine Palms, CA, got it up to ... well, I don't know. Looked down and saw the speedo pegged at 140. Realized that if I came off the bike at that speed, I was going to die. Backed it down nice and slow....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, rain drops hitting like bullets, I remember that. I also remember drafting up hills behind semis (not recommended). The semis passing and buffeting you are not as bad nowadays, they all have those wind deflectors on top of the cab to save their diesel fuel - but back before they all had them, man could you tell the difference. A semi would pass going the other way and you'd like to be taken right off the bloody bike.

Yep...

I remember riding up and over in Flagstaff, AZ once in March. It started to snow - I had no idea it snowed in AZ in March, but I didn't know Flagstaff. I ended up finding a dumpster and making makeshift shinguards out of cardboard boxes and duct tape - my legs and knees were literally freezing solid from thrown-up slush. I stopped the bike at a red light and nearly fell over when I could not put my foot down - the knee would not bend.

Never got caught in the snow, but have was returning home from a run as the Sun set and the temp dropped 20 degrees..I went out and purchased chaps the next day..

Remember riding all day and then seeing 'pink' in the urinal later? Shake those kidneys!

I was lucky cause that never happened to me..

I also remember borrowing my brother-in-law's 1978 Yamaha XS1100 with was bored over, had smooth-bore mikunis and kerker exhaust, out in Twenty-Nine Palms, CA, got it up to ... well, I don't know. Looked down and saw the speedo pegged at 140. Realized that if I came off the bike at that speed, I was going to die. Backed it down nice and slow....

I am a dyed in the wool Harley rider..My buddy had a 1976 KZ-1 and had "monkeyed" with the engine a tad.." Here Harley man, take this on the freeway and open it up if ya got the stones"...Well I did and I like you got up to about 140 and still had throttle left..

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We all have our likes and dislike..We have been riding for the same amount of years..I too have ridden almost EVERYTHING out there..BSA's, Ducati's,Triumphs and choppers of all styles etc...etc...IMHO opinion crotch rockets or sports bike are not a good starter bikes..I have gotten this same argument about balance and the fact that racers ride them.. No you dont see Vulcans or Sportys on the track cause they were made for the street..And all the crotch rockets I believe belong on the track TRACK..Of all the traffic stop I have made it was always a kid of a japper that got the speeding ticket...

At least we agree on that 100%...

I know what you mean, I see a lot of these kids running around on the sportbikes THINKING they are on the track and it does give sportbikes a bad rep. I should have stated that a sportbike on the street ridden safely and responsibly with the added advantage of track tuning coming stock on the bike from the showroom does IMO give a beginner rider a little more forgiveness in mistakes. Where as with a Hardly or a Jap standard or Jap cruiser, well, they don't handle or perform the best and can hinder a new rider more than help.

I rode sporty's and Dyna wides as well as Vulcans, Maxims and my ZRX and have come to the conclusion after I rode a few sportbikes (Katana 600, ZX10, ZZR1200 and a GSXR750) the former bikes handle, accelerate, perform and brake like pigs (sporty's were more piggy than Dynas and Dynas were more piggy than the ZRX and the ZRX was more piggy than the ZZR, ZX and GSXR) in comparison to the latter, and that is a definate advantage to the new rider as long as he can control the happy handle.

I learned on a Suzuki GT380 and that thing was flippin dangerous, then I moved up to a H2 lot of fun but, it was maniac speed and finally got my ZRX and I think I'm gonna keep the Rex, love that bike, fast and nimble enough to get out of trouble and not bent over which keeps my back happy.

Yours in Budo
Michael

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you mean, I see a lot of these kids running around on the sportbikes THINKING they are on the track and it does give sportbikes a bad rep. I should have stated that a sportbike on the street ridden safely and responsibly with the added advantage of track tuning coming stock on the bike from the showroom does IMO give a beginner rider a little more forgiveness in mistakes.

Yeah those kids imitation the famous Star Boys riders are the worst hazards to traffic...I have seen front wheel wheeleys and extended rear wheel wheeleys, always when I'm off duty...I still cannot believe that riding in a crouched position give any rider especially a new rider and advantage

Where as with a Hardly or a Jap standard or Jap cruiser, well, they don't handle or perform the best and can hinder a new rider more than help.

Hardleys (LOL) as well as the big Jap cruisers and the big standards are for someone with a few years under their belt..

I rode sporty's and Dyna wides as well as Vulcans, Maxims and my ZRX and have come to the conclusion after I rode a few sportbikes (Katana 600, ZX10, ZZR1200 and a GSXR750) the former bikes handle, accelerate, perform and brake like pigs (sporty's were more piggy than Dynas and Dynas were more piggy than the ZRX and the ZRX was more piggy than the ZZR, ZX and GSXR) in comparison to the latter, and that is a definate advantage to the new rider as long as he can control the happy handle.[

Your last sentence says it best..Not a big fan of the Dyna's myself..My first Sporty was a 76 Anniversary special that was still set up to run on unleaded gas, it was a lot of fun but strickly a bar hopper..It was 900cc and only had 4 gears

learned on a Suzuki GT380 and that thing was flippin dangerous, then I moved up to a H2 lot of fun but, it was maniac speed and finally got my ZRX and I think I'm gonna keep the Rex, love that bike, fast and nimble enough to get out of trouble and not bent over which keeps my back happy.

My first ever motorcycle was a Honda 50, I rode it into the ground..Next was a Honda 750 or 550, I really cannot remember..Following that was a aforementioned Sporty and then about a year later my first Gide...The worst Harley I ever owned was the 1992 FXRT Sport Glide.It was too lightweight to be considered a cruiser, it was either that or a Jap crusier..Now I have an Ultra Classic...Let the youngsters have the speed..I put in a cassette and cruise along and 75 with no shakes or shimmmey...My wife negotiated for a back rest add on which really reduces the strain..But we are getting WAY off the OP questions for this thread..

Last edited:

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

MY first bike was a 600cc Kawi, back in ~1997. I rode on permits for years and did not get my license until 2006. I tested on my new CBR1000RR at the time and passed no problem.

Depending on your age and maturity, get what you want. If you can crontrol your wrist and ride safe, I say get what you'll be happiest on.

Just ride safe and don't fool around.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys have given me a lot of input, thanks and keep it up.

I am 31 and I am not interested in doing wheelies and endo's and all that stuff. I live in Minnesota so I only get 3-4 months of riding time a year. I would like to ride it during the day and enjoy it. Not big on hitting 100+ MPH and stuff. I value life way too much and especially as a beginner it is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I heard bike mileage doesn't really matter is that the case?
I was trying to stay around an '03-'04 as well. Do years make a difference as it does with cars? I have decided not to spend no more than $5k on it.

Latest Discussions