Music and kata?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me just start out saying I am no expert on different traditional martial arts nor am I trying to flame any particular traditional art here. I am simply curious as to why. Let me explain.

Last night at a wind up at a community centre I heard what sounded to me like East Indian music playing. I am not sure how to explain it but it sounded like crying actually. Anyways... upon hearing this music floating down from upstairs, I asked another person at the wind up what that was. He told me there was a karate class going on upstairs.

Karate? I thought... huh? In my very limited experience I had never heard of playing this type of music, or any music actually during a karate class so I went upstairs to investigate and found the students in this particular school doing kata/forms to this music.

My question is.. is this often done? The sign said Shito-Ryu karate, which, if I remember correctly is Okinawan in origin. Why was this type of music playing and is playing music while doing forms/kata common in certain types of karate? Anyone that can give me some information on this subject, it would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to talk with the instructor to get his insight on it.

Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's part of the new age of MA'ers flash, special techniques that include some gymnastics with them not much tradition in that. I day keep doing tradition and leave all the gymkata and music for those wishing to be part of a Mc Dojo in my personal experience.

R

rmcpeek

I've seen it done and used. I am not a fan of using it for Kata though. I think that the student should be focusing on the kata. Although, if they're focus is really good, you could always try distracting them with music. Hmmmmm. :uhyeah:

Rich

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
There may be a few different points of view on the subject,

Yet im of the understanding that forms/ or kata were/are practiced to the sound of beating drums and the clashing of symbols in china, Thailand, and Brazil The beats of the music would determine the tempo/ rhythm of the movements and encourage pronunciation of a certain movement at a specific time, (example Capoeira in famous for this type of practice so is Thai boxing) Im sure that there are more experienced martial artists than I on the forum that could provide a more detailed explanation.

It's part of the new age of MA'ers flash, special techniques that include some gymnastics with them not much tradition in that. I day keep doing tradition and leave all the gymkata and music for those wishing to be part of a Mc Dojo in my personal experience.

While it may be newly packaged and presented the concept has been around for a very long time in some of the Chinese and Korean martial systems you would notice many of the air kicking techniques ie 540 crescent or 720 spinning heel, butterfly kick ect, they have always been there just more common to see them now as opposed to the past,

Personally I think that using music to practice your forms/ or kata (once learn) is indeed a great training exercise, In a modern times any practical use of equipment or props, that can be used to enhance your training should be worth consideration.

just my thoughts cheers

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
If i understand you correctly you are saying they were listening to music vs doing what we often see today and know as musical forms. I have a tape given to me by one of my teacher which shows Okinawan dancers performing dance movements while listending to music. At first I couldnt understadn why he had given me this tape and told him so, He simply replied go watch it again. So I did and frankly got the same results and again told him so and again his reply was go watch it again. After watching it several more times it ocured to me the dancers were perfoming the 12 original Kata all done very very slowly and to music.
Dance was the precursor to music and in many cultures Dance is still taught and then the combative aspect is later. Children may not understand kata but turn on a radio and even the smallest child begins to dance. When I train with Ahaiti Kilindi Iyi in African art we listen to music the entire time, It helps to develop rythum. I have no problem with ppl listening to music to asssit them in learning forms. But Musical kata I disagree with.
Thanks
San

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry but music is the least of the problems that martial arts classes have to contend with. Practicing Kata can be, dare I say, boring. Playing loud music just might be the trick it takes to get everyone to stop visiting and train. Show me a study that shows listening to music retards learning, and or produces poor fighters, and I'll consider preaching the word, but I'm seeing people who weren't trained that way believing others should be in the same boat as themselves. Where is the harm? wasn't music invented to help us, as well as entertain us?
Sean

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We have never used music in class but i do sometimes use music (classical music) to train with in my own home. Music is a very powerful tool and has been used outside the united states with some extraordinary results on the brain and learning. I would recommend that everyone at some time or another read the book Super Learning by Sheila Ostrander and Lynn Schroeder with Nancy Ostrander. Mr. Parker recommended this book to my instructor who recommended to me. There is a second version of this book, which is the one I have called Super Learning 2000.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've heard about music being used during practice, but I don't think it's common. We never had music during our group classes. The long fist stuff we do just doesn't strike me as a good match with music. I've never tried it, so I might be able to find a nice match, but I'm quite content to do them without background noise. I suppose music could be useful sometimes though. When I practice tai chi at home, sometimes I do play some slow, calm music. I have some Chinese music on CDs that I can play. Otherwise I can put on the radio or a web stream and pick some classical or ambient style music. It doesn't distract me since it's instrumental and I keep it as background. But hearing it can help me remember to slow down, not rush the form, and relax.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've trained at schools where music was playing lightly in the background. I see nothing wrong with this, and it can definately put some spark back into the training atmosphere.

Mike

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
My TKD school plays gentle feng-shui music in the background during classes. I've never really felt that it impacts training one way or the other. I think it's actually a nice touch to the classes. We don't really teach forms or techniques based to the music.

When it comes to our team demonstrations, however, we try to find songs that we can base creative forms and breaking routines around. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I feel demonstrations are meant to be made for performance and showmanship. If a demo isn't interesting or energetic, I feel that it sort of defeats the purpose. I also feel that demonstrations can be very fun, provided that the performance portion is not the school's main focus.

Nalia, could the karate school you visited have been working on a demo?

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I frequently play music during freestyle.

I watched my son doing Kenpo Long form 4 to Weezer and it forced him to change the timing in interesting ways. It also forced him to move more naturally. From a Kenpo stand point it was an interesting exercize. From his teenaged boy perspective it was also useful because the girls watching clearly thought it was hot.

Jeff

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
Nalia, could the karate school you visited have been working on a demo?
To be honest I am not sure. Like I said in my first post, I did not have a chance to talk with the instructor of the school. Perhaps if I get another chance soon, I will do exactly that and get his feedback on why he uses music and in particular that type of music when his students kata.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my first kempo teacher always had music playing in the background by the artist enigma. he thought it was good for our focus and rhythm........and i cant say i disagree.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree about some of the reasons for music posted above, developing rhythm and helping children learn the forms as well as entertaining those who find forms less than stimulating etc are very real. I have experienced some music during warm-ups and seen some musical forms at competition, but very rare in the past.

On a personal note, I can identify much more with the drums rather than instrumental notes although if the right combination of the 2 is chosen it can work also as in some movie fight scenes (Kill Bill Vol 1 end fight with O ren-Ishii)

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to train with it, but I wont knock it, whatever works for you. If it makes you a better artist, more power to you.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok this is the way i see it.

I have gone to TKD tournnies and was appalled by the lack of respect that I and other partisapants got before after and during the tournament. We where treated as if they didn't even want us there......on top of that, I see grown men, with black belts getting into the musical katas....some of the songs by...Queen. ::Screams in fear::

Musical forms just look rediculous(sp) and if you are going to do one, please pick a good song, and stay away from me

By the way in most Oriental dancing fighting styles where hidden within the movements, due to the fact that militerizing was illegal, they found a secret way of training.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, muscial kata performances in tournies seem to be distasteful from one that may have a "traditional" view. (As well as flashy decorated weapons and uniforms)

However, it is one facet to keep someone interested in martial arts.

Thus, those that do remain, I have seen, "grow out" of this aspect.

Music is a lot like martial arts, people have different "tastes" to what they desire. It is what makes us all unique individuals.

Music + Martial Arts can have some benefits.

I just cant seem to do any of my forms to Frank Zappa or Limp Biscuit :rofl:

Latest Discussions