Martial Arts and Music

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of us (but maybe not all) like to work out to music. I'll be the first to admit that I find myself getting into the groove when I hear some 70's funk, or even 80's breakdancing music. However, I know it's deeper than that.

When I did Capoeira, music was clearly a big part of it, as it set the pace for the roda. The more you understood and felt the music, the more you fluid you got. Likewise, I met a musician who played traditional Kulintang music (gong music from the Southern Philippines) and he spoke to me of how some forms of FMA utlized music in their training. I've seen music utilized in African arts as well as arts originating from Southeast Asia. All of it was amazing to watch.

What I've always wondered though, was if music played any deep roles in the more mainstream arts, such as in the Japanese or Chinese Martial Arts.

Anybody know anything about that?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not aware of music being directly linked in any significant way to Japanese/Chinese/Korean TMA's.

That being said, as a musician...there are a lot of similarities between making music and performing martial arts. In short, martial arts are a gross motor activities that requires intense awareness, focus, intent and natural movement. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

Music performnce/creation is a fine motor activity that requires instense awareness, focus, intent and natural movement. Easy to learn, difficult to master.

The only differences between the two activities are the nature of the physical movements (gross vs. fine) and that music generall doesn't leave the listener bumped and bruised. :)

Peace,
Erik

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have videos of kata demo’s in Okinawa where, as a side feature, dance was done to music. Within the dance were kata techniques.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach 2 Okinawan styles and I assist with TKD and we have music playing all the time. It has no historical significance, but we do use it for helping our students understand timing. Plus we help them to not become a "Johnny One Note" when they are sparring.

I have a book, Zen Combat by Jay Gluck, that has Mas Oyama saying, "If you give me a dancer, I can make them into a BB." He explains that dancers have rhythm and to be a BB you need rhythm. Music can help with that.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aside from Capoeira resembling dance, there are many other forms of traditional Martial Arts which resemble or incorporate dance or music into there techniques. Another example is African Martial Arts. They are based on the same theoritical principles as there dance and music.
And even if not, playing the right song while doing forms/drills is certainly a good way to get pumped up.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
when i work out and get very physical ( external ) i listen to hip hop and when i work on katas and refining of techniques ( internal ) i throw on some miles davis witches brew to help me hit them angles unconsciously.

:BSmeter:

Aniela13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My dojo always has a mixed cd playing during class...it's good background noise, and I know there are at least a few of us who like to find the beat and use it for our katas and such. I don't think there's any significance (other than my sensei liking music lol), but it's definitely a key part when I think of my training!

~Ani

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This goes back to schooling dressage movements. I was working upper level movements ( The kind you need for national/international competition) on a very explosive horse with my regular Clinician. It was not going well, things devolved into massive fights and chaos.
When I was working on these movements again during the week, one of our regular visitors ( an Olympic rider) saw me and suggested I sing her a song, any song, while I rode the movement. Well, it went much much better. Why? Because when I sang I Couldn't Hold My Breath and stay tense and rigid. I relaxed and flowed. ( Wait, I've heard " stop being so tense" very recently from another instructor. Hmmmmmm, I have a plan.)
So now I always ride with music now. In fact if I am doing any activity that may cause me to tense up I will make every attempt to have music that I can sing to so I will Not hold my breath.
lori

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
( Wait, I've heard " stop being so tense" very recently from another instructor. Hmmmmmm, I have a plan.)

I've tried that before, it's hard as (a word I cann't say on this site). If you focus on the physical movement, you sing lower/slower/maybe stop. If you focus on singing, your physical movements slow and tend to become sloppy. If you can get it to work for you (ie, sing at a karaoke level and execute skilled techniques), you'd be one martial artist I would not want to mess with. You'd probably be able to shut off your conscious mind and react/act faster then I possibly could. Yep, I would not want to mess with you.

I would however appreciate a lesson.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all about music in all aspects of my life (but then I am an obsessed guitar player) so yes when I practice I usually have the Megadeth or Nevermore blasting away.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Give me 70's or 80's rock anyday. Thunder guitar, spiffy bass, good drummer and I have a great workout. Although that is at home only. I don't ever tech with music in the background.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've tried that before, it's hard as (a word I cann't say on this site). If you focus on the physical movement, you sing lower/slower/maybe stop. If you focus on singing, your physical movements slow and tend to become sloppy. If you can get it to work for you (ie, sing at a karaoke level and execute skilled techniques), you'd be one martial artist I would not want to mess with. You'd probably be able to shut off your conscious mind and react/act faster then I possibly could. Yep, I would not want to mess with you.

I would however appreciate a lesson.

I am slow, sloppy and choppy now so singing isn't going to make much difference, except smooth it out. :)
The big thing is to sing you must breath, and to follow a song you breath in and follow a rhythm. That should help you relax, well it does me. I do like the idea of singing at Karaoke level, too bad my voice sounds like a half dead cat in heat hacking up a furball while trying to sing Il Divo.
When I ride, I don't have to think, my body just does what it needs to weather it is schooling a lenghtened trot, asking for plie' at canter or taking the buck out of a stubborn 3 year old. If you have to take the time to think then it's too late, your body must react as fast as the horse's or your left behind. (and on the ground) I always have music on when I ride, always. It relaxes the horses and students also.

When I was practicing breakfalls I sang so I stopped holding my breath. I am pretty happy about being thrown now, I breath all the way through, stay very relaxed and can land as I choose. I am thinking this can be applied elsewhere, cough...striking.....cough where I tend to tighten up. Or my singing could cause my training partners and instructor (more likely) to decide that Everyone is better off if I am KTFO.
But that's not my plan, well not the KTFO part anyway.
lori

Latest Discussions