Multiple Kicks Without lowering The Leg- What Is It Called?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our style we call it a "balance kick", and well it is an exercise to train balance. But, it also trains you to not over extend your kicks and to make sure that your rechamber is where it should be.
We would call it counter -balance Kick, if it weren't already called the, Orange Belt Kicking Exercise. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because in some styles such as shotokan almost all the kicks begin at this chambering position. It creates an air of unpredictability. Most when you raise your knee will think it's a front kick, and then bam, you've round-kicked them.
There are some issue with this approach. A

- front kick will require "linear" body movement.
- roundhouse kick will require "circular" body movement.

If you start all your kicks from the chambering position, your kicking power may be just your leg power and not your full body power. If your hook punch use the same "initial" path as your jab or cross, If you start linear and suddenly switch to circular, your circular motion will not be 100% and your hook punch power can be questionable.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you start all your kicks from the chambering position, your kicking power may be just your leg power and not your full body power. If your hook punch use the same "initial" path as your jab or cross, If you start linear and suddenly switch to circular, your circular motion will not be 100% and your hook punch power can be questionable.

You should take it up with Bill Wallace, since he has long been a proponent of using the same chamber for all kicks.
After he kicks you a few times, please explain to us how the kicks lacked power.
After you wake up, I mean.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should take it up with Bill Wallace, since he has long been a proponent of using the same chamber for all kicks.
After he kicks you a few times, please explain to us how the kicks lacked power.
After you wake up, I mean.
Before you get too mean, he is absolutely right. There are more pure ways to do the moves. The Bill Wallace method works, too.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do you want to re-chamber your kick for? If you want to use your kick to "close distance" or to "set up your punch", to pull your kick back will defeat your purpose.

There are different ways to use the re-chamber. Just as there are different ways to not just "fall into the kick" after you make contact to close the distance or set up a punch. We are talking about a DRILL here for balance. There are many other ways to develop applications.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard other kyokushin people call it this....I've always thought it kind of a silly name(nothing personal).

I mean, if you kick, you're standing on one leg....kinda makes all kicks "balance kicks."

No offense taken.

That is one of the uses that we use it for, to recognize the loss of balance any time we pick up a leg. We use the kick to recognize the loss of balance and to work on how fast we can recover the balance. By doing it slow, you can understand your body and it's balance points in motion. Many times, people just throw "fast kicks" to cover up their loss of balance in practice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No offense taken.

That is one of the uses that we use it for, to recognize the loss of balance any time we pick up a leg. We use the kick to recognize the loss of balance and to work on how fast we can recover the balance. By doing it slow, you can understand your body and it's balance points in motion. Many times, people just throw "fast kicks" to cover up their loss of balance in practice.
Or embrace that loss of balance into a target. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We use the kick to recognize the loss of balance ...

If your leg (or foot) can land on your opponent's body, your opponent's body can provide your balance. This is why you won't loss your "balance" when you kick on your heavy bag. The question is how to train kicking into the thin air the same way as to train kicking on a heavy bag? How should you adjust the balance issue there?

Last edited:
OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score

That is true. I believe that's why they call it a round-kick in the school of Chung Do Kwan I trained at, whereas the moo duk kwan tkd style called their's a roundhouse. But then again, the round-kick made use of penetration, whereas the roundhouse made use of transference and crushing.

Different mechanics and intent for the kick makes a difference I think.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your leg (or foot) can land on your opponent's body, your opponent's body can provide your balance. This is why you won't loss your "balance" when you kick on your heavy bag. The question is how to train kicking into the thin air the same way as to train kicking on a heavy bag? How should you adjust the balance issue there?
You mean stability, but I'm with ya. :)