Multiple Kicks Without lowering The Leg- What Is It Called?

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A school I once attended put emphasis on being able to raise and chamber the knee and then do kicks resetting back to the position. The goal was to do more and more kicks without having to lower the legs, and without repeating the same kick. The style was Shotokan.

What is this exercise called? I am drawing a blank as to the name of this exercise, but I am certain it has some sort of nomenclature. Could anyone give me a hand? Or I suppose a leg?

Thank you.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh
A school I once attended put emphasis on being able to raise and chamber the knee and then do kicks resetting back to the position. The goal was to do more and more kicks without having to lower the legs, and without repeating the same kick. The style was Shotokan.

What is this exercise called? I am drawing a blank as to the name of this exercise, but I am certain it has some sort of nomenclature. Could anyone give me a hand? Or I suppose a leg?

Thank you.
uhhhh....kicking?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank you.
It was just an exercise.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In TKD, there is keodup, as in keodup yop chagi at the beginning of Koryo, but this means 'double' and applies to any technique that is executed twice.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In TKD, there is keodup, as in keodup yop chagi at the beginning of Koryo, but this means 'double' and applies to any technique that is executed twice.
거듭? I thought that meant 'repeated/repeating' - i.e. it could also describe multiples greater than two...? Not sure.

OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At gnarlie said, I thought it meant the same. We did the exercise in increments of 10, 25, 40 and 50.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
거듭? I thought that meant 'repeated/repeating' - i.e. it could also describe multiples greater than two...? Not sure.

That's possible. I've always understood it to mean a doubled technique, and it's used that way in the descriptions of multiple poomsae for double punches, double kicks, etc.
I've always understood 'danbong' to mean 'repeated'. But I am far from fluent in Korean.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our style we call it a "balance kick", and well it is an exercise to train balance. But, it also trains you to not over extend your kicks and to make sure that your rechamber is where it should be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Wado we do three different kicks without putting the foot down, usually it's 'front' kick, 'roundhouse' kick then 'sidekick', it's a balance plus learning how to shift your weight plus skill thing. Unlikely you'd need to do all three but just in case you have to you can. No harm in knowing how to do it.
For conditioning exercise we will do roundhouse kicks on a bag starting with one kick, then two then three etc up to ten consecutive kicks usually without putting your foot down between kicks, but it's for fitness that's all though the more kicks you do in training the faster they get.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want to re-chamber your kick for? If you want to use your kick to "close distance" or to "set up your punch", to pull your kick back will defeat your purpose.
I seem to spent an awful lot of time kicking for what seems like minimal improvement and I put it down, in part, to practicing things like rechambering and/or bringing the leg back to the starting position again and again which are actually quite awkward movements that I end up forcussing more on, rather than the most importabt bits like getting the chamber initially as high as possible and maintaining good technique right to the end of the kick. I can see some merit in practising kicks like this in the beginning but now when 99% of the time I'm looking to move forward after the kick, I don't see much benefit in practising coming back to the stationary starting position.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
In our style we call it a "balance kick", and well it is an exercise to train balance. But, it also trains you to not over extend your kicks and to make sure that your rechamber is where it should be.

I've heard other kyokushin people call it this....I've always thought it kind of a silly name(nothing personal).

I mean, if you kick, you're standing on one leg....kinda makes all kicks "balance kicks."

OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why do you want to re-chamber your kick for? If you want to use your kick to "close distance" or to "set up your punch", to pull your kick back will defeat your purpose.

Because in some styles such as shotokan almost all the kicks begin at this chambering position. It creates an air of unpredictability. Most when you raise your knee will think it's a front kick, and then bam, you've round-kicked them.

Not... all kicks keep you standing on one leg. Though of course then its just jump kicking lol.

Latest Discussions