Kicking

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do an exercise where I do as many kicks as possible, as well as possible. If I know a make a mistake, I reset and start from 0. I am aiming to get 50 kicks back. I can't put the leg down lower than knee level unless doing a low kick, and I try not to repeat the same technique after itself.

I found this video;

And others like it, and I'm not sure I agree that's kicking. I can pump kick also, and it's effective if grabbed, but a kick to me is an extension from the knee, or from heel off the ground out.

Ionno, what do you guys think? Is that real kicking?

What do you guys think about kicking in martial arts and its place in realistic combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kicking works fine in a fight.

There are people who have pulled of that sort of kick. Thinking of the american kick boxing days. But if you were trading that against a Thai style head kick I think you would come off second best.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kicking has a place in combat but demands a special level of skill and dedication before it can yield a high likelihood if success.

The video: this type of exercise is great for developing strength and balance at the extreme if motion. It will make one's full contact kick more accurate, more powerful and more effortless. It also great for point scoring under the current WTF rule interpretation that any head contact at all scores 3 points. These pump kicks (with a little more sting) are winning matches. Are they effective in real combat? No. I think it's a case of people confusing an effective strength and accuracy drill with effective application.

I agree with drop bear. Kick like this outside of extremely rule-restrained points based competition, and pay a hefty price. I certainly don't believe it to be effective against a grabbed leg or foot - there are other priorities there.

Kicking with the knee higher then the waist is taking a risk - the risk can be acceptable if the timing is right. Leaving the knee above waist height is asking for trouble.

Gnarlie

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do an exercise where I do as many kicks as possible, as well as possible. If I know a make a mistake, I reset and start from 0. I am aiming to get 50 kicks back. I can't put the leg down lower than knee level unless doing a low kick, and I try not to repeat the same technique after itself.

I found this video;

And others like it, and I'm not sure I agree that's kicking. I can pump kick also, and it's effective if grabbed, but a kick to me is an extension from the knee, or from heel off the ground out.

What do you guys think about kicking in martial arts and its place in realistic combat.
That was just a show of skill and control, you may be correct about kicking in a fight, but you may find that ain't easy. LOL

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found this video;

They should rename the video the most amount of martial arts foot taps in 1 minute.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I found this video;

Double round kick or multiple round kicks aka foot jabs are great for the sport karate or what drop bear said American kickboxing it is great for that. In a real confrontation I would want keep it waist high. As far as power go, I have notice you get no more power than two kick attempt. Being the first kick a feint and the second make contact.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Okay… why? Simply doing an exercise "because" doesn't actually mean anything… it needs to have an aim. What an exercise is is less important than what it's for.

What I'm saying is that, while having an exercise such as this is all well and good, without any real reason for the exercise (or the way it's structure), it's all rather pointless.

I found this video;

Eh, tapping a pad for the most part… but it seems to have been done that way specifically to be awarded the "world record", so it's up to them what criteria they used.

That's really an impossible question, and shows a complete lack of understanding about realistic combat, frankly. The techniques aren't the important thing… the question is how kicking can be applied realistically in a combative situation… from which we need to look at what type of combative situation you're looking at, and other influences/conditions around it. Kicking in martial arts? Depends on the art. I don't do much in my Kyudo, for instance… nor in my Iaido, or my Kenjutsu. My Taijutsu has some, but not really the type of things you'd see in, say Muay Thai, or TKD, or Wu Shu. In fact, in a lot of cases, our kicks are set-ups for throws, or part of the throws themselves, and as such, are performed very close quarters to the opponent.

But back to your question, it's just impossible to answer something that vague and ill-defined… the only thing that can be said is that you need to forget about the techniques, and understand the application.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That video was embarrassing. Replace that kick pad with our face and it wouldn't knock off our hat. Heck, that wouldn't even wake my dog. That is not kicking.

And it's not the first time Guinness has done something like that. Shame on them.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I don't think I would ever kick in a fight. Sometimes my balance is bad enough when both feet are on the ground. LOL

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I found this video;

IMO, kicking like that is a good show of skill, and muscle endurance. In a fight...well, personally, I wouldn't stand on 1 leg like that, throwing kicks. A fake, ie: low/high kick...sure, that I could see. But yes, I see nothing wrong with kicking in a fight. Personally, I'd rather focus on more low line kicks, ie: the leg or to the chest. My head kicking days aren't what they used to be, although I can do it, once I'm stretched. But even now, when I spar in class, my kicking targets are the legs, stomach, chest.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, kicking like that is a good show of skill, and muscle endurance. In a fight...well, personally, I wouldn't stand on 1 leg like that, throwing kicks. A fake, ie: low/high kick...sure, that I could see. But yes, I see nothing wrong with kicking in a fight. Personally, I'd rather focus on more low line kicks, ie: the leg or to the chest. My head kicking days aren't what they used to be, although I can do it, once I'm stretched. But even now, when I spar in class, my kicking targets are the legs, stomach, chest.

Low line is my bread and butter, being a wing chun man. Shin, knee, and groin...although for the groin I wouldn't do that unless I was in close and my leg was touching theirs so that when I slid up, I could maintain contact and tell where they were going. Lots of people have heard of the wing chun training method known as chi SAO; what I am talking about is the rarely seen chi GERK.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Low line is my bread and butter, being a wing chun man. Shin, knee, and groin...although for the groin I wouldn't do that unless I was in close and my leg was touching theirs so that when I slid up, I could maintain contact and tell where they were going. Lots of people have heard of the wing chun training method known as chi SAO; what I am talking about is the rarely seen chi GERK.

Yup we do it too with CLF. If I touch you, I can read you & if I can read, I have you. Arms/Legs/Body... all the same. Good stuff.

BUT back to the OP... that's not kicking. Somebody will abuse you if that leg stays up more that a quick kick.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand you think its not a kick but then you feel a kick is an extension from the knee or heel off the ground which is clearly what he is doing.
It is not designed to be used fighting if you watched Midori's fight reel you will see he does not use that he does do a lot of head kicks and can knock a guy. I am sure if he did do it in a real fight he might be able to pull it off after all he was one of Mas Oyama students.

I seriously think what he was doing was just for show and for the kids as it is Kenji Midori
Kenji Midori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this video;
A kick can be more than just a kick. It can be used as part of your "entering strategy", use it to move into your opponent's kicking range, and set up for your punches. In combat, when you move in toward your opponent, if you don't kick him, he may kick you. Instead of for him to kick you, it's better for you to kick him. When you use your kick this way, your purpose is to "prevent your opponent from kicking you."

In your clip, "a kick is just a kick". IMO, to think "a kick is just a kick" is a bit too narrow in thinking. I like to assume a kick is always followed by another kick, or punch.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
in close and my leg was touching theirs...
I'll call that to build "leg bridge - use your leading leg to jam your opponent's leading leg".

shin_bite_1.jpg

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I started out in Kenpo. It was rare that there were any high kicks in any of the techs. I train Kyokushin now, and yes, I see much more high kicking. This isn't a bad thing, but obviously I'm not as flexible, so I do my best. :)