How To Become Unpredictable

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jenna pointed out this topic deserved its own thread, and I think it a wonderful idea, so all credit goes to her for idea.

How do you become unpredictable in your martial arts?

I try to keep my mind clear, and I vary what techniques I use. I do not stick to my best side, and try not to repeat myself, going from head to legs to midsection to head, and switch the order constantly. I avoid using specific combinations, and do not preplan attacks. When there is a break in contact I press with a flurry, and I circle my opponent.

But I have much to work on and improve, what do you do to achieve a state of unpredictability?

Thanks again Jenna for the great idea.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- If you want to attack high, you attack low first.
- If you want to push, you pull first.
- If you want to attack right, you attack left first.
- Hide your preparation. Let the beginning of your next move be at the end of your previous move.
- Look down, avoid eyes contact, act nervous, shake your body, wet your pants if you can, you then suddenly jump in like a tiger and eat your opponent alive.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
trow some technique that you use less often.
change the side you fight from and lead with a totally different technique then you usually do

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Create patterns and expectations and then break them. I don't think what you are looking for is unpredictable in the sense of randomness, that's unlikely to work out well. What you want to do is set things up in such a way that one thing is expected and another happens. Or get an opponent to react in one way so that you can take advantage of it.

Think of it more like a strategy game, like chess. It's not just throw random stuff that he's not expecting, but you do want to catch them off guard. It's through strategic decisions more then randomness to create that though.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes when im sparring Im so unpredictable I dont even know what im doingo_O

joking aside, interesting topic. Try things out... different combinations. What works what dosnt and what works often. if I want to be unpredictable I like to start off with a feint :)

OP
Shajikfer

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am curious, what do y'all think of irimi? Is it possible to circumvent that with one experienced in it?

Irimi is a term referring to being able to sense your opponent's intent and the action they will take.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are in competition this is a more important issue. A long competition bout give your opponent time to learn your habits so you need to be unpredictable. Or if your bouts are filmed, a future opponent can study your film and learn your habits.

If you are concerned with self defense, it's not really an issue, assuming you are not defending against the same bad guy over and over. He has no opportunity to study you, he has no chance to learn your habits, so whatever you may do, it's unpredictable.

If you successfully defend yourself against twenty bad guys by using the exact same combo, what's the problem? You went home safe, that's what matters. It's not on film and the next mugger doesn't have a chance to study your habits first so a lot of creativity is less important. If it's something you've gotten good at, use it again and again.

I'm not trying to say that a variety of skills and options are not important. I'm just saying, keep perspective on what matters and what doesn't, and when it matters and when it doesn't.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am curious, what do y'all think of irimi? Is it possible to circumvent that with one experienced in it?

Irimi is a term referring to being able to sense your opponent's intent and the action they will take.
Irimi is a very important part of the traditional martial arts but it has very little to do with awareness or intent. That is more Mushin. Irimi is entering without clashing, physically or mentally. It does involve intent in as much as you allow your opponent's intent to continue in the way it started. Entering with irimi bypasses your opponent's intent.

IMO, at the very top level all traditional martial arts have a commonality ... enter with irimi, hit with kokyu.

Irimi is extraordinarily complex and is a discussion worthy of a thread of its own.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are in competition this is a more important issue. A long competition bout give your opponent time to learn your habits so you need to be unpredictable. Or if your bouts are filmed, a future opponent can study your film and learn your habits.

If you are concerned with self defense, it's not really an issue, assuming you are not defending against the same bad guy over and over. He has no opportunity to study you, he has no chance to learn your habits, so whatever you may do, it's unpredictable.

If you successfully defend yourself against twenty bad guys by using the exact same combo, what's the problem? You went home safe, that's what matters. It's not on film and the next mugger doesn't have a chance to study your habits first so a lot of creativity is less important. If it's something you've gotten good at, use it again and again.

I'm not trying to say that a variety of skills and options are not important. I'm just saying, keep perspective on what matters and what doesn't, and when it matters and when it doesn't.

You can still work on probabilities and counter them. This is the thing about flow. There is a natural progression between one move and another so there is already a method to counter before they have attacked.

Head offline is a simple example of this. If we are both just banging but my head is where it should be and his head isn't. I eat more face punches.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I was sort of thinking along the lines of, if you drop a guy hat over his eyes, he has no idea what is coming next; because he can't see. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, you want to get close enough to your opponent, so that anything that happens just under their nose in completely invisible. Be a magician of motion, my friends!

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Next time your opponent is being unpredictable, just walk out of the ring. He'll never expect it! :D

I personally don't like the notion of training to be "unpredictable," but I guess it all depends on your purpose, and the context of what you're training for. As for me personally, I'd rather learn to take advantage of individuals who rely on feinting and such "tricks" with direct, well-timed counters.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we are both just banging but my head is where it should be and his head isn't. I eat more face punches.
"...my head is where it should be and... I eat more face punches."
:confused:That means your head is Not where is should be. It should be anywhere but where it is getting hit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"...my head is where it should be and... I eat more face punches."
:confused:That means your head is Not where is should be. It should be anywhere but where it is getting hit.

People tend to hit to where my head should be. If my head is never where it should be then they cannot hit it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahh, I find people tend to hit where they think the head should be. Therefore my head should be somewhere else.

There is a boxer in our gym who is notorious for just that. Just being where he shouldn't be. And he makes me look like a chump when I spar him.

I really should do a video of that. It would be educational.