Muay Thai vs Taekwondo #2

OP
Kenpo_man

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Could you please give some examples of MT for street and I'll give some TKD for street as well and maybe through some comparisions we can have a honest and wider decussion on the subject for all to enjoy.

Thanks
Terry

Sure thing!

Obviously, MT has great tools for controlling distance. The point is to hit your opponent without getting hit, solid means to defending ones self. The viciousness of the techniques ensure a quick end to any fight. The practical training methods used give real confidence that is necessary in a violent conflict. The conditioning of the body to taking blows has an obvious advantage. Also, and in my opinion very important, is the extensive array of clinch techniques often passed over by many martial arts. Many fight make it to this range and a well trained MT fighter has a great advantage over the average street fighter. Thanks for a real reply!

CMS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
Now this just drives me crazy. I ask which art people would rather study for street defence. Some people answer one way or the other and a few write posts like this. I personally think Kenpo (trained properly, i.e. beyond the memorization of moves and a real study of their principles) is one of the most effective martial arts out there for street defence (with an obvious lack of ground fighting skills). Does mentioning that give anybody here any idea whether I would study TKD or MT for street defence and why? That was the question posed after all.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I shudder at the thought of adding to anyone's burden of staving off mental illness. Your original post stated: If you wanted to become a good fighter and were going to step into the ring to prove yourself, which art would you train in, Muay Thai or Taekwondo?

Does this not say "Ring?" I don't see any mention of "Street" here. If your question was "Which works better for self defense, Tae Kwon Do or Muay Tai?" why didn't you ask that?

I think this question is fairly meaningless. The only answer is "It depends."

Apparently you've already decided that Kenpo ("trained properly"), works for you. Were you just trying to start an arguement between TKD folks and MT folks?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Could you please give some examples of MT for street and I'll give some TKD for street as well and maybe through some comparisions we can have a honest and wider decussion on the subject for all to enjoy.

Thanks
Terry

Almost every move in Muay thai is a potential knockout blow,in a street fight this would be essential since you don't really want to be playing about.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
Sure thing!

Obviously, MT has great tools for controlling distance. The point is to hit your opponent without getting hit, solid means to defending ones self. The viciousness of the techniques ensure a quick end to any fight. The practical training methods used give real confidence that is necessary in a violent conflict. The conditioning of the body to taking blows has an obvious advantage. Also, and in my opinion very important, is the extensive array of clinch techniques often passed over by many martial arts. Many fight make it to this range and a well trained MT fighter has a great advantage over the average street fighter. Thanks for a real reply!

clap clap took word out of my mouth there.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Almost every move in Muay thai is a potential knockout blow,in a street fight this would be essential since you don't really want to be playing about.

Like t hat roundhouse to the knee :)

Seriously, though, a knockout is going to be caused by a shot to the head, both MT and TKD contain a lot of shots to the head, including fists, elbows, knees, and feet. The difference is going to be whether or not you practice all those techniques with intent to seriously injure or knock someone out. Both also involve a wide variety of body shots and low shots.

The biggest *real* difference I've seen is that MT emplys the shin as a weapon, and TKD employs more kicks to the head, but after that, they both seem to be very hard striking arts. I know I'm generalizing in that but I'm talking about what they are, or seem to be, from a fighting point of view.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I highly recommend that everyone here who is genuinely interested in reading about how Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do compliment each other should search for threads on MartialTalk started by Damian Mavis. Especially his stories about training and living in Thailand.

OP
Kenpo_man

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
CMS said:
I apologize for the misunderstanding. I shudder at the thought of adding to anyone's burden of staving off mental illness. Your original post stated: If you wanted to become a good fighter and were going to step into the ring to prove yourself, which art would you train in, Muay Thai or Taekwondo?

Apparently you've already decided that Kenpo ("trained properly"), works for you. Were you just trying to start an arguement between TKD folks and MT folks?

Read every post and you'll see where I re-worded my question to make it easier to answer. I train in Muay Thai so no, I wasn't trying to start an argument. If you don't like the thread, don't read and don't post; it's that simple.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You would think the TKD guy would figure out that getting his foot caught was a bad thing....

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WOW that tkd guy sucked lol 2 or 3 back kicks and they all misse,d the guy never even freaking moved lol. These guys really arn't very good at showing what our style can really do.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
Read every post and you'll see where I re-worded my question to make it easier to answer. I train in Muay Thai so no, I wasn't trying to start an argument. If you don't like the thread, don't read and don't post; it's that simple.

When you make a post you cant pick and choose what people post and what the content of the post will be....personally I feel this is a versus thread taht you see by newbies to MA....If I wanted to prove myself in the ring I would train HARD....the art makes no difference, but my skill and determination is what will be the deciding factor!

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
If there is a superior art, which I don't believe there is, but if there was one, it'd be JKD in my book. It's formless and does pretty much everything that all the other styles do. It's hard to learn because it's limitless.

As for this stupid arguement, I've already posted my views one the last Muay Thai vs TKD. No matter which one you say, you are going to offend someone. I don't think it's a matter of which is better, but which works better for you. If you are a strong kicker, like me, TKD is the obvious choice. If you are better with your hands, go with something else. Believe it or not, no matter what people say, not all TKD is created equal. I've won many a street fight with my TKD, as well as many ring fights. Yes, some TKD schools are McDojos, but that doesn't mean people should catagorize ALL TKD into the mcdojo and useless classes. That's art stereotyping, and as a TKDist who knows that her art works, I'm getting rather sick of hearing such lies.

Becky

Latest Discussions