Not open for further replies.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How can someone whom you have not sought physical advice from, be your mentor? The term you are looking for is either idol or inspirational.

I have to agree with 47 there. A mentor you have a relationship with. Inspirations, heros, idols, etc, you don't usually. There are exceptions to the later rule, but not the former.

I've personally been inspired by a few folks...Richard Garriott (Creator of the Ultima series), Gen. James Longstreet (CSA), and Gen. George S. Patton (USA) to name 3. Never met em though. My mentors...couple of my high school teachers, 2 coworkers, and 2 of my martial arts instructors.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Some had requested to see this...

http://www.mymaster.homestead.com/Affidavit.html

The Bricks spoke of are not the usual brick you see broke. But the 9500 psi Red Fire Place Bricks. I have photos of Sifu doing the Dim Mak Penitrating Strike through these kind os bircks. He stacked 3 and broke the bottom them stacked one on a Block and broke only the block..

Let me guess Bruce, Your Sifu represents the Clan Tanaka... :uhyeah:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If we have tolerance and patience with Bruce, he could "come around". Changing his name is a good start.

Wow-, this is a grand forum........

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Let me guess Bruce, Your Sifu represents the Clan Tanaka... :uhyeah:
Careful on mixed terms there in one sentence. "Sifu" and "Clan Tanaka" are mixed origins.
icon6.gif

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sidebar:

I have a friend who trained for about a decade I believe with someone who claimed to be teaching Shaolin arts. Knew enough to pass a casual inspection. A decade later, after this "teacher", friend and "brother" drove him to bankruptsy, destroyed his business and several of his relationships, this friend of mine was left to pick up the pieces. Along the way, he discovered just how deep the deception went. It was ugly.

I myself trained with someone once. Everything he said, made sense. Then one day, I found out how full of crap he really was. I stopped training with him. He still teaches here n there, has several nice certs to validate his rank too. Every one of them for an art found no where else but on those certs.

It's hard to let go of old ideas. But if we don't, we never grow. If we never grow, then we become stagnant. Then we just stink.
I hate stinking. It's hard to impress the ladies, y'know? :D

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
sidebar:

A.) I have a friend who trained for about a decade I believe with someone who claimed to be teaching Shaolin arts. Knew enough to pass a casual inspection. A decade later, after this "teacher", friend and "brother" drove him to bankruptsy, destroyed his business and several of his relationships, this friend of mine was left to pick up the pieces. Along the way, he discovered just how deep the deception went. It was ugly.

B.) I myself trained with someone once. Everything he said, made sense. Then one day, I found out how full of crap he really was. I stopped training with him. He still teaches here n there, has several nice certs to validate his rank too. Every one of them for an art found no where else but on those certs.

C.) It's hard to let go of old ideas. But if we don't, we never grow. If we never grow, then we become stagnant. Then we just stink.
I hate stinking. It's hard to impress the ladies, y'know? :D
Nicely posted.

A.) Same here. I have much doubt in the authenticity of anything labeled "Shaolin". Speaking with people on the subject, Buddhists/Buddhism also, makes me weary and cautious.

B.) Again, same here. Happened to me...twice...FORTUNATELY (emphasis), it was in my earlier martial art years-teens.

C.) How true. The learning and adjusting process never ceases.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Sticky hands is not what you describe. Sticky hands is a very specific exercise used by traditional CMA to develop certain skill sets & attributes for fighting.

It is not (paraphrasing) to keep you in touch with your opponent in a sighted or nonsighted situation. That's not what it's for & that's not why it's trained. Just keeping in contact with somebody (eyes open or closed) does not constitute Sticky Hands. It constitutes contact with your eyes open or closed. No more, no less...

Dude... please stop now. Everytime to you try to hijack a term to fit what you think it is, you dig yourself deep & deeper into a pit you're not ever going to recover from at this point. The best you can do is stop, look, listen & learn.
Such is the plight of a “dojo hopper”…..stays in a dojo just long enough to learn a word or two and then misuse it.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
You attempted to use your training in Japan as a qualifier for your information, but then later admitted you were there only as a child for a very short period of time. You should stop using the citation at all, as it does nothing to add to your credibility. Mr. Rousselot has lived and trained in Japan for at least the last 13 or 14 years (Robert, correct me on this if I'm in error), he speaks Japanese fluently, and is very active in the martial arts community there. You refuse to accept his corrections, though, because of course you and your teachers in NY know better...
close.........17...

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
1) I am what they call Barrel Chested. I may look over weight but I am diabetic and watch my weight like a hawk. I have a very solid Ab and no .."Flub" :)I have a 21 1/2" neck so it looks big when I lower my chin but it also is tight. This I can only prove in July.

2) As for the Licence thing... I am licenced with NYS as Security/Executive Security and a Licenced BodyGuard. I have the licence and Badge to prove it. This is with me everyday so I will also have that in July.

1)[font=&quot] [/font]No you are what is known as over weight…… which is obvious from your gut hanging a few inches over you belt. I repeat, muscle doesn’t hang like that. You neck looks big when you lower your chin for the same reason your gut looks big. If I were to give you a body fat test I have little doubt you would be 25~30% fat. Good would be below 20%, excellent is below 10%.

2)[font=&quot] [/font]You mean that didn’t give you a decoder ring too……man you got ripped off.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Sean,

How are the feelings of Tibetians being ruled by China? Are there still tensions there? Or has Tibetians come to accept?

Do they just go about the way of living and ignore the political controversy?

Interesting subject but Off Topic unless Bruce has posted somewhere that he sparred with the Dalai Lama.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sean thr pics are nice I like 7 also and 5 was a good one. How long where you there?

Mr. Calkins are you ever going to relize they do not believe in your statements, your facts cannot be verified and your picture does look like you are overwieght. I'm sorry but I know I'm overwieght working on getting the pounds off since the heart attack but it is a slow journey. Just a tidbit here just because your overwieght does not mean you can't preform your Art. sorry I know all you ripped gym hoppers will disagree but I've seen MA'ers overwieght that would amaze everybody not me I'm just a good MA'er ok better than average still learning after all these years.
Terry Lee Stoker

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Sean,

How are the feelings of Tibetians being ruled by China? Are there still tensions there? Or has Tibetians come to accept?

Do they just go about the way of living and ignore the political controversy?
I dunno. I don't speak Tibetan (whatever the prope name of it is) & their Mandarin is heavily accented with it. Kinda like the Mexican dialect of Castillian Spanish... the same, but not.

Most of the locals I saw & interacted with were like everybody else today... getting by. The gov't there is like the gov't here... removed unless needing get involved with directly in.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
sean thr pics are nice I like 7 also and 5 was a good one. How long where you there?

Mr. Calkins are you ever going to relize they do not believe in your statements, your facts cannot be verified and your picture does look like you are overwieght. I'm sorry but I know I'm overwieght working on getting the pounds off since the heart attack but it is a slow journey. Just a tidbit here just because your overwieght does not mean you can't preform your Art. sorry I know all you ripped gym hoppers will disagree but I've seen MA'ers overwieght that would amaze everybody not me I'm just a good MA'er ok better than average still learning after all these years.
Terry Lee Stoker
Terry... only a week. It was stop on a larger tour of China.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
1)[font=&quot]If I were to give you a body fat test I have little doubt you would be 25~30% fat. Good would be below 20%, excellent is below 10%.
Actually sir, healthy for an adult male is 19%.
Too much below 15% is beginning to be unhealthy.

Your Brother
John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry Lee Stoker
I agree. Denial will only keep one from trying harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions