KONNICHIWA! I'm new! Please say "hi"

OP
TomoeTamara

TomoeTamara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tamara and welcome to MT. I am also a fellow sword slinger (there are a few here) and have been studying MSR Iaido for 5 years. I was always interested in Iaido and am glad to have found a style that I love.

Michael

Thanks Michael for the welcome. Yes, I've always understood Muso SHINDEN ryu to be "sister" styles with muso JIKIDEN! After a bit of research...I found it was true. There are not many MAJOR differences in our two styles. I'm sure I'll be chatting with you in the future!
ARIGATO! :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studied Shorin-Ryu for awhile..Sensei also taught Isshin-Ryu..Always wondered what the difference was..

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been training under Kim for ten years now, and I wouldn't what to train anywhere else.

We have a great advantage in Southern Ontario, Western Ner York, there are three 7th Dans in iaido all within an hour of each other. You'll meet the other at the May seminar.

Feel free to come up to Guelph for the day and train with Kim and us anytime you'd like. Everyone is always welcome.

OP
TomoeTamara

TomoeTamara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I studied Shorin-Ryu for awhile..Sensei also taught Isshin-Ryu..Always wondered what the difference was..

Isshinryu is a hybrid created after WW2 by Tatsuo Shimabuku.
He was a master in Shorin Ryu Karate do (ichiban deshi under Chotoku Kiyan) and also a top student of Goju founder Miyagi Chojun Sensei.

He melded the best of the 2 styles to create Isshinryu (One-Heart Method/School)

There are several differences between the 2 styles...but you can easily see Shorinryu within.....I believe it was the more favored style of the 2 with Shimabuku Soke. (some may disagree though)

:)

OP
TomoeTamara

TomoeTamara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been training under Kim for ten years now, and I wouldn't what to train anywhere else.

We have a great advantage in Southern Ontario, Western Ner York, there are three 7th Dans in iaido all within an hour of each other. You'll meet the other at the May seminar.

Feel free to come up to Guelph for the day and train with Kim and us anytime you'd like. Everyone is always welcome.

**BOWING LOW!! *** :asian::asian::asian:

Domo Arigato Gozaimashite. I would LOVE to. May take you up on that in the near future!!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions