Motivation has taken a knock - inches away from quitting

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the worst part of it. The warm up is only the first 10 minutes or so of class. Anyone should be able to push themselves for 10 minutes or so. I love the style, and the club atmosphere, and wouldn't want to change it even if I had the option (small town, not many clubs). If I can just get to a basic level of fitness, I'll be fine. I'm playing catch-up though after months of illness. Imagine if for most of a year you could barely even help out at home with the routine domestic chores. Nearly a year of doing even less than than most lazy people. That's me. That's what I have to work with. Somehow I have to achieve a basic level of fitness as quickly as I can without killing myself, so that I can go to class without having to worry about having to raise the hand of shame (ie put your hand up to declare that you're out).

No -- not everyone can push themselves super hard for 10 minutes, especially from a cold start. On top of that, you're still recovering from a pretty massive insult to your body, based on your posts.

Again, I'm going to suggest seeking guidance from a qualified personal trainer. They'll help you get back in shape, and keep you honest -- while giving you an honest assessment of where you stand.

OP
B

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Genuine thanks to all. I've read and thought about all that's been said, and taken everything on board.

I have a plan. As much as I like the idea of getting a personal trainer, I simply can't afford that option, but I have a plan. I've ordered one of those heart rate chest band things that bluetooth to your smart phone. And I'm going to train more at home, and maybe take advantage of the fact I live within a mile of a very expansive beach and dunes, perfect for running along. I know I can train without the gadgets, but if I can see actual quantifiable progress, it will keep me going I think.

What you're describing doesn't sound like it's a medical problem, especially based on this.

It may just be plain fitness. You may have pushed too far.

I think you're right. The medical condition was resolved in hospital following me collapsing and going unconscious at the climax of my month's long illness. Two weeks after being let out of hospital I joined my current martial arts club.

It is just total lack of fitness. When illness means your body doesn't work right for best part of a year, and you were only of average fitness before becoming ill, well, the result is quite... well me really.

The trouble with me is I will push myself 100%. If I am physically still able to move, I will do so. In one training session where we did some circuit training, and part of it was situps for 2 minutes non-stop, I found that one side of my abs was simply spent and couldn't pull any more, so did I stop like I should have? No, I found a way to shift the load across to put it all on the side that still had something left. When that was spent, I found that if I push up onto my elbows so I'm not starting from flat on my back, then I could get a few more out.

If we're training as individuals (well all at the same time but independently of each other), I will ease off. The problem happens when we pair up or form small teams. I don't know what it is because I'm not competitive by nature, but in this situation I simply can't even entertain the idea of letting my training partner/team mates down as long as I am still physically able to move. The thing is I know that's stupid, because if I burn out then I'm out of the game for much longer than if I was to simply ease off a bit before burning out, but for some reason logic seems to fail in the heat of the moment.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Genuine thanks to all. I've read and thought about all that's been said, and taken everything on board.

I have a plan. As much as I like the idea of getting a personal trainer, I simply can't afford that option, but I have a plan. I've ordered one of those heart rate chest band things that bluetooth to your smart phone. And I'm going to train more at home, and maybe take advantage of the fact I live within a mile of a very expansive beach and dunes, perfect for running along. I know I can train without the gadgets, but if I can see actual quantifiable progress, it will keep me going I think.

I think you're right. The medical condition was resolved in hospital following me collapsing and going unconscious at the climax of my month's long illness. Two weeks after being let out of hospital I joined my current martial arts club.

It is just total lack of fitness. When illness means your body doesn't work right for best part of a year, and you were only of average fitness before becoming ill, well, the result is quite... well me really.

The trouble with me is I will push myself 100%. If I am physically still able to move, I will do so. In one training session where we did some circuit training, and part of it was situps for 2 minutes non-stop, I found that one side of my abs was simply spent and couldn't pull any more, so did I stop like I should have? No, I found a way to shift the load across to put it all on the side that still had something left. When that was spent, I found that if I push up onto my elbows so I'm not starting from flat on my back, then I could get a few more out.

If we're training as individuals (well all at the same time but independently of each other), I will ease off. The problem happens when we pair up or form small teams. I don't know what it is because I'm not competitive by nature, but in this situation I simply can't even entertain the idea of letting my training partner/team mates down as long as I am still physically able to move. The thing is I know that's stupid, because if I burn out then I'm out of the game for much longer than if I was to simply ease off a bit before burning out, but for some reason logic seems to fail in the heat of the moment.
I think you have all the answers and everything you need to get back to full fitness. Good luck! :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
About six months ago or so, ten minutes would have left me with drenched T-Shirt. In fact the slightest exertion would make me sweat buckets. It now nearly November and has taken this much time for myself to start getting back there. In terms of time for me, it will take what it takes. Hang in there man, you will get there!

it takes me a fair amount of time to get fight ready too - after a fight you back off the intensity of your workouts and then struggle to get back in shape for the next one.

don't be ashamed - i went to a TKD class a while back and the first 5 minutes had me puffing like mad i really was that out of shape so don't worry fitness takes time and you will get there in the end :)

MA's are a personal journey that never ends :)

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's the worst part of it. The warm up is only the first 10 minutes or so of class. Anyone should be able to push themselves for 10 minutes or so. I love the style, and the club atmosphere, and wouldn't want to change it even if I had the option (small town, not many clubs). If I can just get to a basic level of fitness, I'll be fine. I'm playing catch-up though after months of illness. Imagine if for most of a year you could barely even help out at home with the routine domestic chores. Nearly a year of doing even less than than most lazy people. That's me. That's what I have to work with. Somehow I have to achieve a basic level of fitness as quickly as I can without killing myself, so that I can go to class without having to worry about having to raise the hand of shame (ie put your hand up to declare that you're out).

Not sure I agree....Our school's first 10 minutes is fairly intense, heavy cardio warm up....Many beginners struggle....instructor does a good job coaching beginners to stay within themselves and their abilities.....Fitness level increases over time.....

Dont kid yourself that the short time period will allow you to perform.

Listen to what your body is telling you....go slower, less intense, or take a break......over time you will be able to do this.....speak to your instructor.....let him know your issues....

Talk to your doctor next you speak about your issues....

Slow and Steady wins the race....

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the worst part of it. The warm up is only the first 10 minutes or so of class. Anyone should be able to push themselves for 10 minutes or so...

One of the most important steps in getting to where you want to be is letting go of "should" and realistically examining "is."

Improving fitness is a progressive activity, which means you have to start wherever you are at and gradually pushing your comfort zone. If you can comfortably handle pushing hard for one minute, then try pushing hard for two minutes. If next week you can handle two minutes comfortably, then start pushing for three. Take yourself out of your comfort zone, but not into your "I'm going to kill myself or quit" zone.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. You're not 20 anymore. 'Train smart...not hard'.
2. Having touched death...you can appreciate the moment. Train for the moment, 'the Now', as goals can actually work to undermine motivation if one can't be pragmatic.
3. Humility, grace and humor may be what you should focus on in the beginning. ;)

Evening all.

A few months ago, before joining a martial arts club for the first time in more than 20 years, I was in hospital having came within touching distance of death, following months of illness. Right, that's that important point out of the way.

So I joined a martial club with my 5 year old son, and love it. Except my unfitness (I'd have been unfit anyway, but I reached an unprecedented level of unfitness while I was ill for months and couldn't do much). This lack of fitness means I keep dehydrating and overheating in class, as discussed in these two threads.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/46-health-tips-martial-artist/115778-staying-hydrated.html
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/11...3-preventing-overheating-during-training.html

But, twice now, I have become physically ill in class. I don't just mean feeling a bit nauseous, I mean chest pounding, burning up, unable to stand, whole room spinning, vision blurring etc. I've had to stop and then miss half the class while I recover a bit. The first time I recovered after 10 minutes or so, and was ok for the rest of the lesson, but last time I rejoined after a 15 minute time out to cool myself down etc, was back in for 5 minutes, and was gone again.

The most frustrating thing is that was I was in my teens and 20s, I was considerably fitter than most of my peers. I'd have been able to do these workouts while having a casual conversation with people around me. Now I'm 40, overweight, and recovering from a long illness, and I can't keep up.

So my motivation is at rock bottom. I'm not quite ready to give in though. I'm hoping you good people will have some words of wisdom about effectively rebuilding one's self from scratch. Maybe some training tips that I can use to build my stamina at home, without compromising family time etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Evening all.

A few months ago, before joining a martial arts club for the first time in more than 20 years, I was in hospital having came within touching distance of death, following months of illness. Right, that's that important point out of the way.

So I joined a martial club with my 5 year old son, and love it. Except my unfitness (I'd have been unfit anyway, but I reached an unprecedented level of unfitness while I was ill for months and couldn't do much). This lack of fitness means I keep dehydrating and overheating in class, as discussed in these two threads.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/46-health-tips-martial-artist/115778-staying-hydrated.html
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/11...3-preventing-overheating-during-training.html

But, twice now, I have become physically ill in class. I don't just mean feeling a bit nauseous, I mean chest pounding, burning up, unable to stand, whole room spinning, vision blurring etc. I've had to stop and then miss half the class while I recover a bit. The first time I recovered after 10 minutes or so, and was ok for the rest of the lesson, but last time I rejoined after a 15 minute time out to cool myself down etc, was back in for 5 minutes, and was gone again.

The most frustrating thing is that was I was in my teens and 20s, I was considerably fitter than most of my peers. I'd have been able to do these workouts while having a casual conversation with people around me. Now I'm 40, overweight, and recovering from a long illness, and I can't keep up.

So my motivation is at rock bottom. I'm not quite ready to give in though. I'm hoping you good people will have some words of wisdom about effectively rebuilding one's self from scratch. Maybe some training tips that I can use to build my stamina at home, without compromising family time etc.

Sometimes you have to back up to go forward.. and it took me 5 years to figure that one out... what can I say, I'm slow on the uptake sometimes.

Sent you a PM

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it takes me a fair amount of time to get fight ready too - after a fight you back off the intensity of your workouts and then struggle to get back in shape for the next one.

don't be ashamed - i went to a TKD class a while back and the first 5 minutes had me puffing like mad i really was that out of shape so don't worry fitness takes time and you will get there in the end :)

MA's are a personal journey that never ends :)

Yeah. Ashamed, yeah. Why, pride. Now, pretty chilled about it :) Pride in yourself also means the truth. Its frustrating, but bloody great fun too!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you've been real sick and not able to do anything physically active for a while, and especially if it hasn't been long and your body is likely still healing and all that, then you need to cut yourself a break and work back up SLOWLY. I know it's frustrating, I've been there, but pace yourself. Talk to your teacher and see if you can start out doing, say, half the warm-up, and work your way back over a few months.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah. Ashamed, yeah. Why, pride. Now, pretty chilled about it :) Pride in yourself also means the truth. Its frustrating, but bloody great fun too!

Setbacks? They only happen to people in a special club. We're called "everybody". We meet for coffee in the morning. See you there? ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setbacks? They only happen to people in a special club. We're called "everybody". We meet for coffee in the morning. See you there? ;)

It is a bit weird for me sometimes. This morning I needed four mugs of coffee before the ride to work. Yesterday morning, I woke up and was zoom zoom mode straight away. Went to the gym and felt great. Had an early night and slept well, but woke up knackered. Enjoy the coffee. Reckon I could do with a marshmallow topped special.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there's more caffine in a cup of tea than there is in coffee ;) but i get your sentiment :)

i lost track of the amount of days that i've woken up and thought - wtf am i doing LoL :) and then everything goes flows and you don't think too much of it.......

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's more caffine in a cup of tea than there is in coffee ;) but i get your sentiment :)

i lost track of the amount of days that i've woken up and thought - wtf am i doing LoL :) and then everything goes flows and you don't think too much of it.......

Yeah. Actually my very first beverage is usually tea. Just forgot to buy my Tetley when I had shopped last. I switch to coffee at work and I don't have coffee at home.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Old post I know but I have to correct something here

There is not more caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee, actually there is considerably less caffeine in a cup of tea as compared to a cup of coffee. However there is more caffeine in a pound of tea than a pound of coffee and that is where the confusion comes from

But you use so much less tea than coffee per cup you end up with less caffeine in tea per cup than coffee

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Old post I know but I have to correct something here

There is not more caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee, actually there is considerably less caffeine in a cup of tea as compared to a cup of coffee. However there is more caffeine in a pound of tea than a pound of coffee and that is where the confusion comes from

But you use so much less tea than coffee per cup you end up with less caffeine in tea per cup than coffee

Wouldn't all this be dependent on the specific "type" of coffee and tea, as well as how it's made?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wouldn't all this be dependent on the specific "type" of coffee and tea, as well as how it's made?

Not really, unless you steeped a pound of then and made a pound of coffee all at once and then compared them. Or if you made the normal pot of coffee and use an incredibly large amount of tea to make one cup.

There is less caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee

16oz of tea would make about (mean) 175 cups of tea using a 6oz cup
16oz of coffee makes about 42 cups of coffee based on a 6oz cup

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really, unless you steeped a pound of then and made a pound of coffee all at once and then compared them. Or if you made the normal pot of coffee and use an incredibly large amount of tea to make one cup.

There is less caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee

16oz of tea would make about (mean) 175 cups of tea using a 6oz cup
16oz of coffee makes about 42 cups of coffee based on a 6oz cup

So you're saying that there's no difference in the caffeine content regardless of the type of bean or leaf used? And that it doesn't make any difference how long you steep the tea in the water? Or how the coffee is brewed?

I'm no expert on either, but that seems a little unlikely.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So you're saying that there's no difference in the caffeine content regardless of the type of bean or leaf used? And that it doesn't make any difference how long you steep the tea in the water? Or how the coffee is brewed?

I'm no expert on either, but that seems a little unlikely.

Different types of tea have different levels of Caffeine but all are less than coffee per cup, and virtually all of the caffeine in your tea is used up in the first 10 seconds of steeping, call it unlikely if you want, but it is true, there is less Caffeine in a cup of tea than a cup of coffee, don't want to believe it...I'm ok with that too

http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm#table_coffees

http://lifehacker.com/5790350/the-c...drinks-health-benefits-and-risks-side-by-side

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must admit that growing up in blighty, I was told that traditional tea that we drink at least, doe have more caffeine than tea. I have pretty much subscribed to that viewpoint, however wrong I am then. I would like to try some Russian tea with the traditional round thingy in the glass.

Latest Discussions