Anyone here started Martial Arts later in life ?

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here started later in life and can offer some wisdom ....

Started about two months ago, fortunately I had spent a few years getting back in some basic physical shape before trying this - as the conditioning parts at the beginning of some our sessions can be fairly demanding.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't start later in life, but welcome to the forum, my friend. Lots of knowledgeable people around here, they might have some insight to your question. They probably trained a lot of folks who started later in life.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not in my later life but know a lot of people who are. Just keep on going, your stretching dosnt have to be the best of the class but atleast the best you can do. Keep trying don't force it and practice to the best of your ability

As long as your patient, putting in the effort, and serious about learning, benefit and improve are the only things going to happen

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I didn't start MA later in life either, but I did do a short time in JKD later in life and it too was demanding, but fun.

Just train, do what they show you and don't expect to master anything quickly, know it takes time and training and never EVER compare yourself to anyone in class, ESPECIALLY the younger guys.

Beyond that there is "Martial Arts After 40 by Sang H. Kim" that might be helpful but I make no garauntees. I believe you can still get it used on Amazon

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

It depends what you call 'later in life'. I started Karate in my thirties and took up Aikido when I was 58. That was eight years ago and sure I can't receive anywhere near as good as the younger guys. In my karate classes I had one guy start with me about four years ago with no previous experience. He is now 66.
:asian:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best advice I could give is not to compare your self to others but to compare yourself to yourself.
Are you improving? Are you seeing results?
Continue to remind yourself that you are a better you because you are doing this than you would be by not doing it. You will be stronger, more flexible and agile, have better balance and it will keep your mind young as you continue to learn.
Continue to push yourself but do it at your pace, not the pace of the 20 year old next to you.

AdamGrose

White Belt
Reaction score
I came BACK to it a little bit later in life (age 45). Playing catch-up, trying to get back in shape. ;)

Just curious if anyone here started later in life and can offer some wisdom ....

Started about two months ago, fortunately I had spent a few years getting back in some basic physical shape before trying this - as the conditioning parts at the beginning of some our sessions can be fairly demanding.

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome CrazyDiamond.

When you say 'later in life', what sort of age are we talking about?

I was nearly 40 when I returned to martial arts (as a complete beginner in effect, seeing as it had been over 20 years since I'd trained, and that was in a different style).

It was also just two weeks after I was realised from hospital after nearly dying following a long illness that left me extremely unfit.

The thing I found is that I simply can't match the youngsters. Probably not because I'm 40, more likely because I got so unfit after months of illness. I daren't try too hard to catch them up either, as I've had a few 'episodes' under extreme physical activity, and I need my heart to keep ticking at least until I've paid the mortgage so my wife and kids will have a home, but I will catch up. There's one thing about getting a little bit older, is you also get a bit more of the good stuff like patience, commitment, and determination.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What a great forum I have joined. Thanks for all the supportive replies.

I am 49. I wanted to try martial arts about 7 years ago, but I was desperately out of shape. I focused on getting healthier and in better shape first, and then tired to find a way to schedule it into my family and personal life. I started in August. I am glad I got in shape first, some of the conditioning we sometimes do before sparing is pretty demanding.. push ups, sumo squat and holds, burpees, one arm/leg planks, side bridges, etc..

I can keep up pretty well but occasionally I need to stop for 15-30 seconds to catch my breath or grab my towel and wipe off. There are a few youngsters , that can't do 15 pushups in my class ...and I can.

The JDKC is a bit complicated to learn as we are mixing the traditional JDK with of course Kali (which in itself is a very extensive system on its own from dirty boxing to weapons). Moving from Jun Fan to silat to sinawalli in one hour takes concentration and coordination. At just over 8 weeks I feel clumsy in class and getting past 6 moves I forget the 7-12th.

But I have great Sifu's and friendly class mates.... just find myself sometimes in need of a break and also trimming back my weight lifting and just resting or doing yoga on off days - so as not to over train and force injuries.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
What rank are these students? I'd be skeptic about it. Perhaps pushups just isn't one of what is considered a main priority there. I might guess they haven't been focusing or maybe the students haven't been practicing enough. Practicing pushups in class isn't enough to be good. I would recommend at home some time in the day practice pushups. Do as many good. d pushups as possible later that night try doing more. Even if it's just 5. Don't force it. If you are struggling then do the amount you're comfortable with and maintain that till you can do more pushups.

Don't worry about forgetting its going to happen once you get the techniques down it will be like instant. You don't have to think about it you'll just do it

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The JKD class I was in did little or no calisthenics, no pushups no sit-ups, just a bit of a warm-up and stretching and then drills, heavy bag work and pounding the heck out of each other...it was a heck of a workout and it was awesome....and I was a bit over half a century when I started

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nice to see some 30, 40 and even 50 year olds starting or returning to martial arts. :boing1:

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I finally started at the age of 38, around 20 months ago, and around 30 years after I first wanted to!

Some great advice in the above posts that I'd reiterate, try your best, go at your own pace and don't compete with all those pesky kids who don't have old injuries to carry and, in my case at least, a plethora of vices and years of bad living to overcome!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a student who started when she was in her mid-60's. There are certain things she's never physically going to be able to do, but she is one determined lady, and we are very happy with her progress.

Doesn't matter when you started. Go to class. Train. Do the best that you can do. That's pretty much the Universal Rule for getting the most out of your training.

Personally, I started when I was 7. But I took a long timeout and started over in my 40's.

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was 35 when I started playing hockey and 37 when I started taking TKD. I was never much into playing sports or other physical activities before that. I got into martial arts around the time my daughter did.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
39, and have been training Hapkido for about 5 months. Love it, I like to push myself as much as possible but not enough to injure. My training partner is taller, bigger and younger, but I regularly put him down, maybe more than he does me actually. Get elastic dobak pants, best move you will ever make.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was 35 when I started playing hockey and 37 when I started taking TKD. I was never much into playing sports or other physical activities before that. I got into martial arts around the time my daughter did.

Just recently my youngest daughter started at my school. Its great shared experience and I am excited for her to start so young.

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just recently my youngest daughter started at my school. Its great shared experience and I am excited for her to start so young.

My motivation is similar. I joined at the same time as my 5 year old son. We train in the same hall, under the same instructor. Obviously we can't partner up because he's half my height, but he trains with the other kids. Our class is laid out such that the kids are on one side and the adults on the other, with the instructor leading us all from the front. After bow in, warm-up and drills, we then tend to be split up into multiple groups with different instructors, learning things more suited to our level of experience. Also part of the class has us partner up and practice moves on each other, all in a controlled manner (because its more than kicks and punches, there are a lot of locks and take-downs that would cause lasting injury if misjudged). Its great fun, but also its great when I get a chance to glance across to see what my lad is doing, and there he is all tiny but in his suit and doing all the moves like a little ninja:)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
39, and have been training Hapkido for about 5 months. Love it, I like to push myself as much as possible but not enough to injure. My training partner is taller, bigger and younger, but I regularly put him down, maybe more than he does me actually. Get elastic dobak pants, best move you will ever make.

I might add, after my experience last night. I have another student I partner with fairly often who is in his late 60's. We had a bit of time to practice some techniques and light clinch\take-down sparring. He put me down often, so your only as old as you feel. He's strong as an ox and a great partner to learn from. I'm just thankful I know his weakness's as well from practicing together a lot. And I will use that to my advantage if I think he's had the better of me too much for one session.

Latest Discussions