Motivation has taken a knock - inches away from quitting

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Evening all.

A few months ago, before joining a martial arts club for the first time in more than 20 years, I was in hospital having came within touching distance of death, following months of illness. Right, that's that important point out of the way.

So I joined a martial club with my 5 year old son, and love it. Except my unfitness (I'd have been unfit anyway, but I reached an unprecedented level of unfitness while I was ill for months and couldn't do much). This lack of fitness means I keep dehydrating and overheating in class, as discussed in these two threads.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/46-health-tips-martial-artist/115778-staying-hydrated.html
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/11...3-preventing-overheating-during-training.html

But, twice now, I have become physically ill in class. I don't just mean feeling a bit nauseous, I mean chest pounding, burning up, unable to stand, whole room spinning, vision blurring etc. I've had to stop and then miss half the class while I recover a bit. The first time I recovered after 10 minutes or so, and was ok for the rest of the lesson, but last time I rejoined after a 15 minute time out to cool myself down etc, was back in for 5 minutes, and was gone again.

The most frustrating thing is that was I was in my teens and 20s, I was considerably fitter than most of my peers. I'd have been able to do these workouts while having a casual conversation with people around me. Now I'm 40, overweight, and recovering from a long illness, and I can't keep up.

So my motivation is at rock bottom. I'm not quite ready to give in though. I'm hoping you good people will have some words of wisdom about effectively rebuilding one's self from scratch. Maybe some training tips that I can use to build my stamina at home, without compromising family time etc.

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my completely non-medical opinion, this sounds like your body telling you it can't do what you are trying to do. I would suggest talking this over with your doctor and have him/her help you come up with a conditioning/recovery plan.

OP
B

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my completely non-medical opinion, this sounds like your body telling you it can't do what you are trying to do. I would suggest talking this over with your doctor and have him/her help you come up with a conditioning/recovery plan.

I hear what you say, but over the course of this year, I've probably had more conversations with my doctor than I have with my wife or my best friends. Doc says my ticker, lungs, and other vital organs are all functioning correctly, and my bloods are now normal. I know it sounds daft, but I really don't want to see the doctor for a while now if I can help it. I was ill. Now I'm on the road to recovery, and I want to look forward and not back, if that makes sense?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps a reality check? I go to a gym circuit class 5 or 6 days a week to maintain muscular and cardio fitness. Ages range from about 18 to about 68. Looking around BMI would range from 18 to 32. Sometimes it is competitive as in team challenges but most times you are working against yourself. So you do what you can do at the intensity you can produce without risking your health. MA training is the same. I actually advertise that you work at your own level of fitness and ability. It seems to me that you are trying to perform at an intensity that your body won't allow. Hence my reference to the reality check. Ease off a bit. If your instructor doesn't allow you to do that then change schools. We train for fun, not to physically harm others or ourselves.
:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my non-medical opinion, I believe you should just tell the teacher your situation, and bow out of class when you feel you need to. :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds to me like your class is very work out related. your situation is not uncommon. i have heard many times about how a person would love to train but they are just not in shape to do it. before you quit i would suggest looking around at other styles and other schools to find one that is more about learning the martial art and less about exersize. i have never really liked schools that spend most of the class doing exersize. if i wanted that i would have joined planet fitness or golds gym. its cheaper.

OP
B

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
sounds to me like your class is very work out related. your situation is not uncommon. i have heard many times about how a person would love to train but they are just not in shape to do it. before you quit i would suggest looking around at other styles and other schools to find one that is more about learning the martial art and less about exersize. i have never really liked schools that spend most of the class doing exersize. if i wanted that i would have joined planet fitness or golds gym. its cheaper.

That's the worst part of it. The warm up is only the first 10 minutes or so of class. Anyone should be able to push themselves for 10 minutes or so. I love the style, and the club atmosphere, and wouldn't want to change it even if I had the option (small town, not many clubs). If I can just get to a basic level of fitness, I'll be fine. I'm playing catch-up though after months of illness. Imagine if for most of a year you could barely even help out at home with the routine domestic chores. Nearly a year of doing even less than than most lazy people. That's me. That's what I have to work with. Somehow I have to achieve a basic level of fitness as quickly as I can without killing myself, so that I can go to class without having to worry about having to raise the hand of shame (ie put your hand up to declare that you're out).

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all.

A few months ago, before joining a martial arts club for the first time in more than 20 years, I was in hospital having came within touching distance of death, following months of illness. Right, that's that important point out of the way.

So I joined a martial club with my 5 year old son, and love it. Except my unfitness (I'd have been unfit anyway, but I reached an unprecedented level of unfitness while I was ill for months and couldn't do much). This lack of fitness means I keep dehydrating and overheating in class, as discussed in these two threads.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/46-health-tips-martial-artist/115778-staying-hydrated.html
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/11...3-preventing-overheating-during-training.html

But, twice now, I have become physically ill in class. I don't just mean feeling a bit nauseous, I mean chest pounding, burning up, unable to stand, whole room spinning, vision blurring etc. I've had to stop and then miss half the class while I recover a bit. The first time I recovered after 10 minutes or so, and was ok for the rest of the lesson, but last time I rejoined after a 15 minute time out to cool myself down etc, was back in for 5 minutes, and was gone again.

The most frustrating thing is that was I was in my teens and 20s, I was considerably fitter than most of my peers. I'd have been able to do these workouts while having a casual conversation with people around me. Now I'm 40, overweight, and recovering from a long illness, and I can't keep up.

So my motivation is at rock bottom. I'm not quite ready to give in though. I'm hoping you good people will have some words of wisdom about effectively rebuilding one's self from scratch. Maybe some training tips that I can use to build my stamina at home, without compromising family time etc.

The only words I can give you are your own in the first post you wrote when you joined this site. At that time you were upbeat and seemed very motivated. Get back to that person....

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think your being too hard on yourself. slow down, relax and remember MA training is suposed to be a long term thing. you want the benefits and the fun without the stress and anxiety.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to look forward and not back, if that makes sense?

I'll suggest you not to think about any long term goal. If you think about what you are going to do in the next 10 years, most likely, you will never do it.

Try to set up a short term goal such as 3 months. In the following 3 months, you want to achieve "something". That "something" could be as simple as to punch on your heavy bag 20,000 times. If you punch on your heavy bag 230 times daily, in 3 months you will have punched your heavy bag 230 x 90 = 20,700 times (more than 20,000 times). After 3 months, you may set up another 3 months short term goal such as roundhouse kick on your heavy bag 20,000 times. If you also add 3 months for your elbow, 3 months for your knee, after 1 year, you will have all the striking tools that you need.

Last edited:

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Working yourself back into shape is tough and it sounds to me (not a doctor) that you started too soon after your illness. See if your club will let you scale the work and then you can work your way up. If you don't, you'll tax your immune systems even more causing you to catch every illness that you come in contact with and it will prevent you from training. If they won't let you scale the work, stop training and build yourself up to the standard you need to train.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn it around. You're struggling with conditioning but making progress. Even if less than you'd like.

How much progress will you make if you stop?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn it around. You're struggling with conditioning but making progress. Even if less than you'd like.

How much progress will you make if you stop?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

So true, I don't know how many times you go per\week, but if you need time for your body to re-cooperate, maybe only go in once for the week instead of twice, but try not to stop. Then re-asses and go back to your normal routine.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts are kind of a catch 22. They will get you in shape, but at the same time you need to be in (at least) fairly decent shape to do them.
Try increasing your physical activity outside of class. Simple things like walking, taking the stairs, doing stretches, body weight squats, pushups(even if you have to do them on your knees). These things will help to strengthen your body more than you think.

Also, take whatever it is you are training in class and do it at home when you're able...only at a slower pace.
You'll get there. The only way you won't is by quitting.

Also, try finding a sensible personal trainer that truly understands and is sympathetic towards your situation, they might be able to give you guidelines and help along the way.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Badger,
So excited for you and your son to be able to train in the martial arts.

If I may opine on your situation; first speak with your instructor/s about your condition and frustrations.
It is important they know of them and will most likely understand your lack of conditioning. (if not they are a major source of your frustrations).

You did not get out of conditioning over a matter of a couple of weeks but from SEVERAL years of living life and it will not take a couple of weeks to get back into the shape you are wanting. (The mind is wanting but the body is unable at this point).

You have matured physically and now must be an adult in your thoughts as to your ability to return to the conditioning you are wanting.

I have people in their 40s & 50s who I have to tell to slow down, take it easy. When doing warm ups go slow and take a couple of breaks by just walking in place. It’s ok to not be able to do it all.

When doing rolls, kicks, punches only do a few at a time until you become stronger and more in condition for being able to do more. It is OK! Training is about learning about yourself and conditioning is about giving your body and mind the time to become stronger and to be able to work out for longer periods.

Let go of your ego. You – at this point – are unable to training at the level you are striving for.
Stop comparing yourself to others but to yourself. It won’t take long but it will take time.

I just had a late 40s lady who started with me 14 months ago who could not jog an 8[SUP]th[/SUP] of a mile. Two weeks ago she ran in her first 5-K Run taking 1[SUP]st[/SUP] place in her age division. You can do it also. Keep training/exercising, keep it exciting and fun, keep being a inspiration for your son and Never Give Up.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Badger1777 said:
That's the worst part of it. The warm up is only the first 10 minutes or so of class. Anyone should be able to push themselves for 10 minutes or so.

About six months ago or so, ten minutes would have left me with drenched T-Shirt. In fact the slightest exertion would make me sweat buckets. It now nearly November and has taken this much time for myself to start getting back there. In terms of time for me, it will take what it takes. Hang in there man, you will get there!

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I understand serious silliness, health concerns, and abilities. About 6-7 years ago I made a major change to improve my physical condition. At first just walking, and light dumbbells. Maybe 30 mins a day (15 weights, 15 walking) I was sweating up a storm...slow I progressed into longer faster walking (45 mins) and separate days for weights, then more substantial weight lifting and light yoga.

I had wanted to try martial arts for a long time, but I knew I needed to get in basic shape first since I was SO out of shape. I started martial arts about 2 months ago and I am glad I got in shape first.. At 49 I can keep up 90% of the time with the 20 somethings in my class (okay I sweat more) and anyone 35+ I can leave in the dust..

Mt two cents - don't give up, but I would cut way down on your MA classes, or MAYBE take a 6 month break and focus on conditioning and getting some basic abilities back. Also I hope your consulting with the doctor and have a good handle on the condition of your heart, BP, and lungs. If you do take a break, I don't see it as quitting, if you are focusing on conditioning to get back in to it. Your still working and training - but focusing on conditioning and core.

Its time for your comeback

[video=youtube_share;Os3WfKvQEak]http://youtu.be/Os3WfKvQEak[/video]

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear what you say, but over the course of this year, I've probably had more conversations with my doctor than I have with my wife or my best friends. Doc says my ticker, lungs, and other vital organs are all functioning correctly, and my bloods are now normal. I know it sounds daft, but I really don't want to see the doctor for a while now if I can help it. I was ill. Now I'm on the road to recovery, and I want to look forward and not back, if that makes sense?

What you're describing doesn't sound like it's a medical problem, especially based on this.

It may just be plain fitness. You may have pushed too far. Crossfitters have made a joke of "Pukey the Clown" -- but there's a truth to it. Work too hard, and your body will stop. Puking is common. I remember days of football practice where half the team was puking their guts our during two-a-days...

Have you considered working with a personal trainer? Even one session a week for several weeks can give you valuable guidance and assessment.

Latest Discussions