The importance of ligth contact sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all know (even the other martial arts guys know) that TKD is full contact sparring mostly using the legs in the kukiwon/wtf format and I can garatee you the blows are hard and can be devastating, however Medio Combate or light contact sparring has it's place inside the dojang.

I must confess we don't do alot of kyorugy in the men class, I only have two 40+ students and they go dojang for a nice work out and secondly as a self defense, so these fellows only do kyorugi maybe twice or three times before testing but this is a thing we are changing.

Last night afther class I told them to put on the safety gear but the hogu, I dislike the hogu, for me it's a clumsy thing that does not allow me to move the way I like it, anyway the students used the head gear, shin pads and fore arms pads. I asked them to do Medio Combate or light contact sparring and to use all the techs they wanted strongly advise them to use head kicks, no matter if they were good enough but to take a chance and concentrate on valid points.

The fight was a good one, I think the students feel confortable wearing the safety gear and this allow them to go forward with some confidence and I like what I saw.

I know over time once they get the rhytm and timing we can scalate to full kyorugy (full contact). No head kicks but a nice hook kick to the ribs, a nice spining back kick that almost send the other guy to the mat a a nice set of peet-chagis.

Manny

Latest Discussions