Most Disprepectful Thing

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Random rant. What's the most disprectful thing a fellow martial artist has done to you? One of my worst ones occured the end of last week.

I conducted promotion tests and invited a Taekwondo instructor I know as a guest judge about three weeks before the event. I called the gentleman Thursday and he confirmed he was coming, on time, etc. Come Friday, he didn't show up at the event in which I had 15 adult students testing for geup ranks. Thank goodness I had two other guest judges at the event. Later when I was driving home I noticed my cell phone had a message from the man saying he couldn't find our dojang, which is located in a city he has lived in all his life. He claimed he keyed the wrong zip code to his GPS system.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, having had a GPS mishap the other day, I could not completely put it in the realm of imposibility. Each place I ever lived in, there were MANY parts I never knew existed, even in the tiny village with 450 inhabitants...
(adding to that that I drove to the wrong location once myself, pre GPS and really just a completely stupid thing to do...)

The most disrespectful thing I have happen is more in the line of the academic of TKD. ongoing changes and questions which leads one to believe that the company line really doesn't give a frogs behind of what anybody says, as long as the checks are forth coming.
You disagree you are in all kinds of trouble.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't burn any bridges, chalk it up to a whatever... although it does seem quite suspicious... My GPS doesnt require a zip code.

as for a "Most Disrespectful thing"... I'll have to get back to you on that... I have one that is burning in my mind right now.... but let me think about it and get back with you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most disrespectful thing someone did to me was make a comment on the mat my breasts, and then make a comment to me about how my badly aimed kick, which was near his groin area, felt good.

The person that did this wasn't an over-promoted 21 year old chucklehead, this was a man that was the same rank as me (beginner), approximately my age and a dentist.

Did I tell my instructors? No. But I did give him a thrust kick to the groin about 2 minutes later. Strange how the kick didn't make that *thunk* it usually does when my foot hits the plastic of a groin guard. Perhaps he was not wearing a cup? I don't think he showed up in class again.

Low expectations work in my favor. ;)

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember I had just joined a new club and was sparring the Head Instuctor/owner for the first time. I had already been training for a while by then so wanted to 'show off' my skills to him (probably a bit cocky of me I realise now). However, I got a few good shots. I understand him wanting to 'get me back' which I was well prepared for but instead of just giving me a few he decided to 'slaughter' me. I thought this was a bit over the top as he could just as easily have told me to go a bit lighter. The worst of it was that when I asked him to tone it down a bit he pretended he didn't hear and just kept going harder. It was quite embarrissing especially in a new dojo.

But one thing Id like to add, is that everything really boils down to how you perceive it. Ultimately you have the choice of how to react mentally and emotionally to anything anyone does.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This was many years ago when I was a teenager...

At a point sparring match, I inadvertently fouled my opponent with an eye poke. I made the mistake of trying to apologize to him when he was still hot about it during the referee's time out. He spat right in my face.

We both were disqualified after that.

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Two:
In my first club I sparred with a black belt who was the owners son. I was just a green belt but was doing well against him. I was probaly 13 years old, he was 14 or 15...(don't get me started on the child bb) He become so angry that he flew into a fit of fury and tried to blow out my knee. My knee still hurts when it rains to this day. The sabumnim, his father, acted like I just "fell." I shortly joined another dojang after that. - Almost quit MA after that one, but the love for it brought me 'round.

Happened to my now ex. She was with me at a dojang I had established myself in pretty well recetly, the sambumnim pointed straight at her and called her, "a sweat hog of a water buffalo." She was slightly overweight, one of the reasons for being in class. I found this to leave bad taste in my mouth. I spoke with him after class and was very diplomatic. I explained she was well aware of her weight problem and was there to burn it off and learn the MA. He just said, "Well she is a lardo isn't she?!?" I switched to my current dojang after more of his bull, been there for a while and am loving it.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two:
In my first club I sparred with a black belt who was the owners son. I was just a green belt but was doing well against him. I was probaly 13 years old, he was 14 or 15...(don't get me started on the child bb) He become so angry that he flew into a fit of fury and tried to blow out my knee. My knee still hurts when it rains to this day. The sabumnim, his father, acted like I just "fell." I shortly joined another dojang after that. - Almost quit MA after that one, but the love for it brought me 'round.

Happened to my now ex. She was with me at a dojang I had established myself in pretty well recetly, the sambumnim pointed straight at her and called her, "a sweat hog of a water buffalo." She was slightly overweight, one of the reasons for being in class. I found this to leave bad taste in my mouth. I spoke with him after class and was very diplomatic. I explained she was well aware of her weight problem and was there to burn it off and learn the MA. He just said, "Well she is a lardo isn't she?!?" I switched to my current dojang after more of his bull, been there for a while and am loving it.

Goodness! That's mean.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't burn any bridges, chalk it up to a whatever... although it does seem quite suspicious... My GPS doesnt require a zip code.

as for a "Most Disrespectful thing"... I'll have to get back to you on that... I have one that is burning in my mind right now.... but let me think about it and get back with you.

Thanks. I'll keep an open mind, but the whole thing seemed very strange on a day when I was stressed with trying to run a smooth test for adults who are very serious students. Our dojang's web site contact page is linked to Google maps so it's fairly easy to find us. I usually show up for promotions where I am invited as a guest judge 20-15 minutes early and have the map routed out a day before the event.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought this was a bit over the top as he could just as easily have told me to go a bit lighter. The worst of it was that when I asked him to tone it down a bit he pretended he didn't hear and just kept going harder. It was quite embarrissing especially in a new dojo.

But one thing Id like to add, is that everything really boils down to how you perceive it. Ultimately you have the choice of how to react mentally and emotionally to anything anyone does.

If a Senior had to tell you to down it down it would make him look bad. Instead he showed you that if you wanted to dish it out you beeter be able to take it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. I thought this was a bit over the top as he could just as easily have told me to go a bit lighter. The worst of it was that when I asked him to tone it down a bit he pretended he didn't hear and just kept going harder. It was quite embarrissing especially in a new dojo.

A senior telling a junior to "Tone it Down" while they were sparring would make them look bad.

Instead he showed you that if you wanted to dish it out you needed to be able to take it as well. Seems you got the message.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
A senior telling a junior to "Tone it Down" while they were sparring would make them look bad.

Instead he showed you that if you wanted to dish it out you needed to be able to take it as well. Seems you got the message.

How about if it's phrased as "do you want to turn it down a notch, or should I pop up a couple of notches too?". Then it seems more like you're giving the hint, with the subtle threat that you can bring it if they prefer...

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about a simple..."Around here we have one simple of rule of sparring; You hit as hard as you want to get hit back."

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok... a weee bit too personal, and not gonna get to detailed, but here goes... AND I AM STILL PISSED ABOUT IT A YEAR LATER.
icon8.gif

My very FIRST TKD instructor was like a father to me, went through many years of ups and downs, but always kept in touch. Just last year I got married, up until 2 weeks before the wedding his exact words were "I wouldn't Miss it for the World" then.... never called or showed.

F*** him.... he's dead to me. I have not spoken to him since and he has made no effort to contact me either. I wouldn't have anything to say to him if he did. Like I said.... HE IS DEAD TO ME!!!!!!!!

And for the record, his son, MY BROTHER who I have a close relationship and see weekly... was there...

F*** him.
icon8.gif

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a guy I trained with, he was about 18 years old and a 1st gup. Anyway, he just stopped training one day only about 6 months from his black belt grading and the instructor asked one of his mates (a 3rd deree bb) why he wasnt showing up. His mate told the instructor that he was having monetary problems and could not afford to train. The instructor told him to tell the 1st gup to come and talk with him. When he finally showed up the instructor said to him that money was not important and that if he truly loved tkd then come back and train free of charge and said "we will work it out one day". So the first gup came back to training and the instructor took him under his wing and trained him up for his black belt grading. Anyway, he passed his black belt grading and has never been heard of since. Pretty low I thought.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Asking me to respect your rank on the internet. Don't tell me about your rank, show me your rank when you post and in what you say. That's what I'll respect.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ok... a weee bit too personal, and not gonna get to detailed, but here goes... AND I AM STILL PISSED ABOUT IT A YEAR LATER.
icon8.gif

My very FIRST TKD instructor was like a father to me, went through many years of ups and downs, but always kept in touch. Just last year I got married, up until 2 weeks before the wedding his exact words were "I wouldn't Miss it for the World" then.... never called or showed.

F*** him.... he's dead to me. I have not spoken to him since and he has made no effort to contact me either. I wouldn't have anything to say to him if he did. Like I said.... HE IS DEAD TO ME!!!!!!!!

And for the record, his son, MY BROTHER who I have a close relationship and see weekly... was there...

F*** him.
icon8.gif

Time will heal that one. Hopefully one day you'll find out why he never showed up.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems all the disrespectful things that happen at my dojang never happen to me. One time we had another instructor in town, that taught a japanese/okinawen art of some sort, ask to bring his class to spar us to prep for a tournement they were doing. We wiped the floor with them, so he accused my instructors of putting low belts on students to make his kids look bad. Then he challenged either of my instructors to spar him. He got thrashed pretty hard, I never saw him again.

Not long after both my instructors had moved on and left the class to 2 guys that came up with me (i was going to college, or i would have been with them), some guys that came up with our instructors showed up one night and said they were taking the class. My instructors had tossed most of these guys out at one time or another, so it was well known that they weren't welcome. They were invited to attempt to take the class by fighting for it. 2 vs 4. The 4 scurried back under their rock.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a guy I trained with, he was about 18 years old and a 1st gup. Anyway, he just stopped training one day only about 6 months from his black belt grading and the instructor asked one of his mates (a 3rd deree bb) why he wasnt showing up. His mate told the instructor that he was having monetary problems and could not afford to train. The instructor told him to tell the 1st gup to come and talk with him. When he finally showed up the instructor said to him that money was not important and that if he truly loved tkd then come back and train free of charge and said "we will work it out one day". So the first gup came back to training and the instructor took him under his wing and trained him up for his black belt grading. Anyway, he passed his black belt grading and has never been heard of since. Pretty low I thought.

Sadly, par for the course.
People generally don't value 'free' things.