New Practicioner

CrazyEyes

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to say what's up, and that I'm starting my first Tae Kwon Do class tonight. I've been looking at different styles for quite some time, and the thing I like most about tkd is it's focus on kicks and sparring. I've been wanting to get into a MA for the training and so I could fight (mma style or MT tournaments), but my HUGE problem was that I love to fight, but I don't like hurting people. A big paradox, I know :D .

The school I'm going to is a CBBA (christian black belt academy), and my teacher (I'd call him my sensei, right?) is one of the founders, his name is Pastor Troy Stein. I've been to a few of their tournaments and testing, and its pretty fun to watch...last year Pastor Stein had a special guest judge (Craig Shaw) because he was testing for his 6th degree.

I'm pretty stoked about doing Tae Kwon Do, it'll give me a chance to be active and "fight" with the focus winning by points rather than damage to the other person. They're also having their spring open (tournament) in 2-3 weeks, and I'm thinking about participating in it so see how it is.

--Well that's it for now, I hope that I don't bug you guys with stupid questions, and I promise to search first ;)

-Wade.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, congrats on starting your training!

You'll read a lot of stuff on this board - I encourage you to focus on your purpose in training and go with what works for you.

Good luck and good training ... and welcome to MT!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Wade, Welcome to MT! You sound very excited about TKD which is excellent. Have a good time tonight and don't worry about being a newbie, everyone started out that way. Learning is a journey and it takes time, Enjoy it!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Wade! Each school does things a bit differently, so it's hard for us to say what your instructor wants to be called in class.

Take it slow. Don't feel the need to learn it all in one night or do it perfectly. Relax & enjoy it.

Let us know how it goes.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Wade congrats on starting your journey and keep us posted.

Also Wade we have a section where folks can go and introduce themself to all the members.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT..If ya have questions ASK THEM....

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to say what's up, and that I'm starting my first Tae Kwon Do class tonight.
Congratulations! You must be so excited! I was when I took the 1st TKD classes xDDD

You'll enjoy the training, and if you like to fight, sparring will be the best :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The school I'm going to is a CBBA (christian black belt academy), and my teacher (I'd call him my sensei, right?)

Sensei is usually for Karate (Japanese); Korean schools like TKD are more likely to use a title like sabumnim. But your instructor will let you know what his preference is!

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
hey congratulations on finding something u like. ;P

i do some tkd and i knows its really especially since I LOVE to spar/fight to. i hope u do well on ur first day and i wish u the best!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You will have lots of fun, and enjoy yourself ALOT if you keep practicing this TKD!
All the best to you, and I hope that you will join us here on the board,

Robert

OP
C

CrazyEyes

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry bout the late reply, I was incredibly sore yesterday and slept for most of it, XD. So my first day of class...pretty much awesome. One of the higher up ranking students taught me side, front, and round kicks and how to do them the right way. Then I had to shut a light switch on and off using my feet (my hips hurt so bad). And since they're having their spring tournament in two weeks she showed me some sparring basics.

-needless to say, I had a blast. Next week I start my first day of the weapons training class starting with the bo staff.

-Wade.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am glad that you enjoyed it. When you practice the kicks at home do them slowly at first to train your muscles where to put things. Technique is very important for a couple of reasons. First of all, the proper technique will stop you from injuring yourself and it will allow you to be more powerful and more accurate with your kicks. Doing the kicks slowly will also help with your balance which becomes more and more important as you start learning the more advanced kicks.

Latest Discussions