Another MT Connection!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll post this here since it mostly has to do with use Taekwondo people.

This past weekend (June 9, 2007), I took some students from southwest Michigan (Benton Harbor, and Sawyer) to compete at the "Great Lakes Cup Invitational Taekwondo Championship" in Lansing, Michigan. I was invited to participated as a referee and judge since I have known the tournament host, Master D. Steven Shinn, for many years. I have been away from tournaments for awhile, and it was nice to see some familiar faces.

One of those faces was one that I had not seen before, but have been fortunate enough to meet here on Martial Talk. Master Ron Southwick (or MSUTKD, as he is known here) heads up the Taekwondo program at Michigan State University, and has been involved with the Great Lakes Cup for many years.

I got the chance to speak with him directly, and he is an very nice gentleman, and outstanding instructor and referee. I had the opportunity to watch him coordinate ring activities throughout the day while I judged and refereed in one of the rings. Master Southwick was very gracious and checked on me often with a friendly smile. Near the end of the event, I enjoyed watching Master Southwick officiating as the center ref for the Black Belt Sparring while I did some judging in the same ring.

An interesting conversation during the day revealed that we have a connection before MT, and might have crossed paths over the years without even known it. I had taken an advance TKD class while attending college at LCC and MSU back in 1981 (I was a 2nd Dan at the time) from Korean Grandmaster Kim, Jongoon, who Master Southwick has studied with for so long.

http://www.msu.edu/user/taekwon/instructors.html

http://www.msu.edu/~spock/instr.html

Grandmaster Kim taught me the Palgwe forms, and although I was a student in his class, he put me in charge for a few days while while he went on an important business trip. During the 1990's I helped Master Shinn with judging and refereeing at the annual Great Lakes Cup just after a time when Master Southwick was the MSU Team Captain. It is likely that we were present at the same event on more than one occasion in the past.

This is the second person that I have had the pleasure of meeting in-person after having made a connection here at MT. The first was IcemanSK, who flew from California to Florida for the U.S. Chung Do Kwan Spring Conference in 2006, where I met him and we had a good time getting acquainted IRL. Some of you might recall that Iceman returned to the conference this year and tested for 3rd Dan (and passed!).

Master Southwick used his talents and knowledge in translating Korean Hangul to help me with a Newspaper article here on MT sometime back:
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34862&highlight=newspaper

It's nice to see the real human beings behind all this thread weaving!

CM D.J. Eisenhart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Master Southwick is a wonderful gentleman we had the pleasure of him stopping by the school when he was in town, he is very knowlable.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is great!
icon14.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's great, sir. I look forward to meting Master Southwicke, also.

Thanks for your kind words. It was also my pleasure meeting you, sir.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Master Shinn's tournament was a good time (it always has been for me and my students) so I am sorry I missed it. I am still on vacation (last night away from home...we are in Hershey PA where we are recuperating after dinner at Chocolate World which topped off (pun intended) a day which started at President Thomas Jefferson's estate at Monticello in Albemarle County, VA.)

A few of my students were going to attend the tournament so I'll get the whole story on Tuesday night at class.

Yes, Ron S is an incredible guy (and, I learned recently that he speaks Turkish). He is sort of like Thomas Jefferson......

Miles

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing!

- Ceicei

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my students met Last Fearner at the tournament and brought his business card to class Tuesday. It really is a small world.

Miles

Latest Discussions