Morgan Freeman calls Herman Cain a racist

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I'm not sure that 'alienated' is the right word, BillC. There has certainly been a cooling of relations at some levels and a certain amount of offence taken (by Englishmen like me) at the diplomatic gaffes and missteps that have been made by President Obama's staff. But 'alienation' is too strong a term.

Something to bear in mind is that the pivot of our diplomatic relations with the world is Her Majesty; that means that ebbs and flows within the international community are ameliorated by her abillty to 'ride out' an unwelcome or somewhat fumblefooted foreign administration if it is so required.

I confess that I do fear that her successor may not be such a valuable servant of their people as she has been and we may lose some of that 'smoothness' and continuity that she has given us as a nation.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:chuckles: I'm not sure that 'alienated' is the right word, BillC. There has certainly been a cooling of relations at some levels and a certain amount of offence taken (by Englishmen like me) at the diplomatic gaffes and missteps that have been made by President Obama's staff. But 'alienation' is too strong a term.

Something to bear in mind is that the pivot of our diplomatic relations with the world is Her Majesty; that means that ebbs and flows within the international community are ameliorated by her abillty to 'ride out' an unwelcome or somewhat fumblefooted foreign administration if it is so required.

I confess that I do fear that her successor may not be such a valuable servant of their people as she has been and we may lose some of that 'smoothness' and continuity that she has given us as a nation.

William is a charming young man who will take over from granny and do as good a job lol! charlie will be miffed I'm sure but tough!

Relations were good with Reagan because we thought he was funny as we did with Bush Jnr, both not to be taken seriously but we've all been caught up in our own problems in the recession to really worry about what America thinks of us...if we ever did anyway... which we didn't really lol. What goes on at political levels is a game, what goes on between real people isn't and the good relations between Americans and the British has always remained on the same friendly level, doubtful any politician can change that so no, Obama hasn't alienated us, he's just a politician, right wing as all American politicians are... waits for shrieks of indignation from Bilcihak.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am willing to be convinced about Prince William, Tez; I'm not counting him out yet and he is being groomed the right way {lord knows he has a good role-model in his grandmother :nods:}. I was just expressing the fear, as I said, that Queen Elizabeth II has served us royaly well {yeah, monarchy based pun attack! :D} and will leave some very big footsteps to follow.

As to the Wing of American politics, aye, couldn't agree more; I've said many times it is comprised of the Right and the Really Far Right.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am willing to be convinced about Prince William, Tez; I'm not counting him out yet and he is being groomed the right way {lord knows he has a good role-model in his grandmother :nods:}. I was just expressing the fear, as I said, that Queen Elizabeth II has served us royaly well {yeah, monarchy based pun attack! :D} and will leave some very big footsteps to follow.

As to the Wing of American politics, aye, couldn't agree more; I've said many times it is comprised of the Right and the Really Far Right.

He's RAF for goodness sake OF COURSE he'll be good!

I've been down to Cornwall for a couple of weeks, spent a very convivial evening in a pub with two Canadians here on holiday, interesting views on America lol!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do represent the civilized part of NA.

Just what they said! The chap had been in the Canadian Air Force then worked for a military contractor who supplied parts for the RAF so had been to many places we knew. When people have travelled and worked in other countries their minds tend to be far more open and educated as well.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, well, that's the funny thing about political opinions, but sure. I get that it's not racial... at least, not for most. I'm sure there are some die hard bigots out there unwilling to vote for a black dude, but I can't imagine there are many.

Funny thing is Steve, before Obama was a nominee, only a small portion of African Americans voted in General Elections. When obama became the nominee, they voted in droves. Are those people racist, because they only came out to vote for an African American?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes

Funny thing is Steve, before Obama was a nominee, only a small portion of African Americans voted in General Elections. When obama became the nominee, they voted in droves. Are those people racist, because they only came out to vote for an African American?

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
:

Sukerkin,

Are you saying Charles lacks the grace of his momma? :)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:grins: I am not one of those that holds a low opinion of Prince Charles. I like the fact that, like his father, he is not afraid to have his say, even if others erroneously believe he should not.

But, as Tez alluded to earlier, it is possible that he will not inherit the throne when the sad time comes that Queen Elizabeth II must leave us. It may well pass to his son to pick up that burden.

Leaving that to one side tho', what I was saying, in all seriousness, is that Elizabeth is a tough act to follow. Since the Second World War, she has served us very well as our monarch, placing her people before herself, just as the first Elizabeth did so many centuries ago. I pray that we are as lucky again with her successor but am not sure that a 'media age' monarch will carry quite the same weight and gravitas.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
:grins: I am not one of those that holds a low opinion of Prince Charles. I like the fact that, like his father, he is not afraid to have his say, even if others erroneously believe he should not.

But, as Tez alluded to earlier, it is possible that he will not inherit the throne when the sad time comes that Queen Elizabeth II must leave us. It may well pass to his son to pick up that burden.

Leaving that to one side tho', what I was saying, in all seriousness, is that Elizabeth is a tough act to follow. Since the Second World War, she has served us very well as our monarch, placing her people before herself, just as the first Elizabeth did so many centuries ago. I pray that we are as lucky again with her successor but am not sure that a 'media age' monarch will carry quite the same weight and gravitas.

I have to agree Queen Elizabeth is a classy lady, just as Diana was.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A tough act to follow, and a difficult position to inherit. But at the same time, the Monarchy's future looks bright. If it is William, then the Commonwealth will potentially see another long reign...bringing a remarkable consistency to an inconsistent world. If it is Charles, then the Commonwealth benefits from his age and experience and William and Catherine have a chance to start their family with perhaps a teensy bit more privacy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of non Commonwealth people think the Monarchy is either useless or at least outdated but it's actually a sort of oil/grease that eases diplomatic actions between our country and others even those that aren't part of the Commonwealth. A lot of what the Queen does is done out of sight and sound of the political media so it doesn't seem as if she does much other than launch ships and wave nicely. However she can ease tensions between the political heads of state and smooth ruffled feathers that no other agency can. Her work is sadly very under valued and under estimated. A call from the Queen is never turned down even if it's only taken in politeness to start with and while she doesn't interfere with the politics, a tactful suggestion from her can make a huge difference to how countries approach each other. It may be something as simple as a visit from a Royal or an invite to Buck House but it smooths the trouibled international waters. Even the Presidents of the USA, China and Russia aren't adverse to be seen staying with the Queen! Her contacts are varied and wide ranging, she's related to most of the Royals in the rest of the world, she's respected by the Arab Royal Families who actually run their countries as well as the heads of State of the Commonwealth countries.
In this country the police, armed forces, civil service all take their oath of allegiance to her not the prevailing government, it's a check in their power if it;s ever needed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think a lot of non Commonwealth people think the Monarchy is either useless or at least outdated but it's actually a sort of oil/grease that eases diplomatic actions between our country and others even those that aren't part of the Commonwealth. A lot of what the Queen does is done out of sight and sound of the political media so it doesn't seem as if she does much other than launch ships and wave nicely. However she can ease tensions between the political heads of state and smooth ruffled feathers that no other agency can. Her work is sadly very under valued and under estimated. A call from the Queen is never turned down even if it's only taken in politeness to start with and while she doesn't interfere with the politics, a tactful suggestion from her can make a huge difference to how countries approach each other. It may be something as simple as a visit from a Royal or an invite to Buck House but it smooths the trouibled international waters. Even the Presidents of the USA, China and Russia aren't adverse to be seen staying with the Queen! Her contacts are varied and wide ranging, she's related to most of the Royals in the rest of the world, she's respected by the Arab Royal Families who actually run their countries as well as the heads of State of the Commonwealth countries.
In this country the police, armed forces, civil service all take their oath of allegiance to her not the prevailing government, it's a check in their power if it;s ever needed.

Diplomacy happens behind closed doors.
(and being kin to half of Europe's heads of state does not hurt either) :)

I saw a short documentary on what her day looks like. Her book is full! (but it was kind of odd when she was basically standing in the middle of a big room, surrounded by a handful of officers....I suppose it was a rather short meeting, so they did not sit down.....)

I think it helps tremendously when head of state and head of government are not identical.

(yeah, I am a huge fan of the old gal! She is just that awesome. I mean, who else can instill discomfort in a person with the mere mentioning of 'the Queen is not amused'!!!)
:)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you guys still have a monarchy, it just seems so quaint. Perhaps one day Britain will move into the modern age and ditch the royals. Not that I mind your Queen, she is a very tough individual, but still, a Monarchy?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you guys still have a monarchy, it just seems so quaint. Perhaps one day Britain will move into the modern age and ditch the royals. Not that I mind your Queen, she is a very tough individual, but still, a Monarchy?
She is not only their Queen , she is ours as well , and we like it just the way it is thank you very much.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

LOL

You are so silly!

Aside from being a constant in the diplomatic circus, the royals are also a major economical factor.
And their upkeep is rather minimal when one considers the work load they shoulder and the impact they have.

(I think it was in the low double digit millions a year, astonishing considering security etc...)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see that despite what we've posted you have understood nothing and still take your view as being the correct one. We had a time without a monarchy and we didn't like it so we put it back. I think you need to educate yourself on British and European history before you comment so much on things you don't actually know anything about. It's all about checks and balances, that's why we have a monarchy as do other countries, it works fine and is far from being 'quaint'