Janeane Garafalo and the myth of racist republicans

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[*]Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%–37%)
[*]Republican Party: 136-35 (80%–20%)
[/LIST]The Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in greater numbers and greater percentage than did the Democrats. ...

Now, now, Don. As I've posted elsewhere on this subject before, a breakdown of the vote by states reveals the following:

By party and region Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.
The original House version:
  • Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7%–93%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0%–100%)
  • Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%–6%)
  • Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%–15%)
The Senate version:
  • Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5%–95%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0%–100%)
  • Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%–2%)
  • Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%–16%)
Taken, of course, from one section down of the same Wikipedia entry that you pasted from. Who's being disingenuous now?

billcihak said:
Elder, you are implying that they are republicans when the facts don't bear that out. Indiana, for whatever reason, was a huge power center for the ku klux klan. Living in Illinois, I had heard about the klan and its stronghold in Indiana since I was younger. Lynching was a known tactic of the klan, democrats, and not republicans.

I'm not implying anything-the only facts we have are the voting records of Indiana from that time-the majority of the people in that state consistently voted Republican, and the records bear this out. I'm not saying that the people in the photographs were of either party, or trying to implicate either party, I'm only pointing out an inconsitency in your thesis based on the known facts.

Lynching was a known tactic of Americans. It was done to white cattle rustlers and horse thieves in this part of the country, once. It is, to get back to the "flash mob" theme, a product of mob mentality-as was using sledgehammers to break into a jail, haul those men out and hang them, and then smile for the camera.

To insist upon their being Democrats by virtue of having committed this act strikes me as somwhat ignorant of the factual evidence and illogical. To say, as I have, that the voting record of Indiana points to at least some of not a majority of them having voted Republican is only using facts and logic.

Now, by your own "logic," ( :rolleyes: ) the Republicans have always been racist, and their first President was the biggest racist of all::

"Negro equality! Fudge!! How long, in the government of a God, great enough to make and maintain this Universe, shall there continue to be knaves to vend, and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagogism as this?" - Abraham Lincoln (From Fragments: Notes for Speeches, September 1859, Vol. III, p.399 of The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln).

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the White and Black races--that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with White people, and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the White and Black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the White race. . . I give. . . the most solemn pledge that I will to the very last, stand by the law of the State, which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes." - Abraham Lincoln (Fourth Debate with Stephen Douglas at Charleston, Illinois on September 18, 1858, Vol. III, p. 145-146 of The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln).

"Now I say to you, my fellow citizen, that in my opinion, the signers of the Declaration of Independence had no reference to the Negro whatever. One great evidence is to be found in the fact that at the time every one of the thirteen colonies was a slaveholding colony, every signer of the Declaration representing a slaveholding constituency, and not one of them emancipated his slaves, much less offered citizenship to them when they signed the Declaration. If they intended to declare the Negro was equal of the white man, they were bound that day and hour to have put the Negroes on an equality with themselves." - Abraham Lincoln, during the October 16, 1858 debate in Peoria, IL with Douglas. "

I can conceive of no greater calamity than the assimilation of the Negro into our social and political life as our equal. . . We can never attain the ideal union our fathers dreamed, with millions of an alien, inferior race among us, whose assimilation is neither possible nor desirable." - Abraham Lincoln, after signing the Emancipation Proclamation (like other presidents, Lincoln sought to repatriation of freed Blacks to Africa).

“See our present condition—the country engaged in war! Our White men cutting one another’s throats! And then consider what we know to be the truth. But for your race among us there could not be war, although many men engaged on either side do not care for you one way or another. “Why should the people of your race be colonized, and where? Why should they leave this country? This is, perhaps, the first question for proper consideration. You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races. Whether it is right or wrong I need not discuss, but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as I think your race suffer very greatly, many of them by living among us, while ours suffer from your presence. In a word, we suffer on each side. If this be admitted, it affords a reason at least why we should be separated. It is better for both, therefore, to be separated.” ]

— Spoken at the White House to a group of black community leaders, August 14th, 1862, from COLLECTED WORKS OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN, Vol 5, page 371.

Do the people of the South really entertain fear that a Republican administration would directly or indirectly interfere with their slaves, or with them about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you that once, as a friend, and still I hope not as an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears. The South would be in no more danger in this respect than it was in the days of Washington."

-Abraham Lincoln to Alexander Stephens-Vice President of the Confederacy. Springfield, Ills., Dec. 22, 1860. Public and Private Letters of Alexander Stephens, p. 150.

Like I said, though, Lincoln was a man of his time.Needless to say, Ms. Garafalo is just as off-base as your position on this. I say that as a registered, card carrying and donating Republican.

Or, if you prefer, billi, you can just call me "George." :lfao:

Last edited:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The democrats have a long history of racism from slavery, jim crow, segregation, violations of voting rights, the ku klux klan, fighting against the civil rights acts and yet, the republicans are called the racists. It is truly a great piece of media sleight of hand. Bill Clinton, whose mentor was J. william Fulbright, a segregationist who voted against the civil rights acts, Bill Clinton who physically embraced Orval Faubus, the man who blocked the school house doors, is untouched by the taint of racism, and Herman Cain is accused of stockhome syndrome because he is a republican. The truth is really upside down.

The lynching of African Americans was a known tactic of the ku klux klan, the democrat group that fought against the reforms of the republican party.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The democrats have a long history of racism from slavery, jim crow, segregation, violations of voting rights, the ku klux klan, fighting against the civil rights acts and yet, the republicans are called the racists. It is truly a great piece of media sleight of hand. Bill Clinton, whose mentor was J. william Fulbright, a segregationist who voted against the civil rights acts, Bill Clinton who physically embraced Orval Faubus, the man who blocked the school house doors, is untouched by the taint of racism, and Herman Cain is accused of stockhome syndrome because he is a republican. The truth is really upside down.

The lynching of African Americans was a known tactic of the ku klux klan, the democrat group that fought against the reforms of the republican party.

:rolleyes:

[yt]ibCddbDMzW0[/yt]

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
attachment.php

Odd. As I posted in the other thread, billi, these people were in Marion, Indiana, in 1930. Based on voting stats that I linked to in that thread, it's likely that they mostly voted Republican. Of course, all the facts you state about the history of the Democratic party are true. What you are omitting, intentionally or not, is that it's just as LBJ prophesied when he signed the Civil Rights Act, speaking of the Democratic party, he said, I just signed away all of the south for us. Those racist Democrats you speak of are the southern Republicans of today. Safest to say that the entire country has a racist history, and one that crosses party lines on all sides. Political conditions-and politics (do you really think Eisenhower expected the Civil Rights Act of 1957 to pass, or knew that it wouldn't?) change, as do social conditions. At one time, it would have been socially acceptable and expected for you to call me or Ras "George," or even "******." These things have changed, of course-you probably don't even know the significance of " Just call me 'George''/i],"- but to speak of "racist parties" without viewing the whole of their historical context, is, at best, ignorant. Sure, the democrats were a party of overt racism-at times, so were the republicans. The words of the "Great Emancipator," our first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln:

Lincoln was, of course, a man of his time-his viewswere the social norm on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, and epsecially on the frontier where he was from. While they weren't shared by all at all times prior to that (how do you think I got here?) they were the majority opinion, and one that is still changing slowly.

Ronald Reagan, the "Great Communicator," had barely gotten into the Oval Office when, in 1981, he supported trying to reverse reverse a long-standing policy of denying tax-exempt status to private schools that practice racial discrimination and grant an exemption to Bob Jones University, in spite of their then policy of banning interracial dating.

I could go on-and someone could also go on about the racism of Democrats, when, really it boils down to one thing:

Some-hell, lots of Americans are racists.

Can we move on now? :lfao:

Lots of Americans are racist, and not just white Americans as some people seem to think.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Lots of Americans are racist, and not just white Americans as some people seem to think.

Odd, pretty sure I said that............and made no distinction about race:

el brujo de la Cueva said:
Some-hell, lots of Americans are racists.

And I also said:

el Oso de Dios! said:
Can we move on now? :lfao: