Mma guy is excited about sparring.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You were heavy weight? From video I saw of you, you were very thin!!!! Unless you are very tall which won't show in video.
Back in those days, my weight was about 185 lb. In 1984 US SC tournament, I competed in super heavy weight (above 200 lb) just because I wanted one of my students to have a chance to win the heavy weight champion that year (and he did). I was the super heavy weight champion that year (1984). I stopped my tournament competition after that year.

These pictures shows my weight at that period of time.

SC_article_1.jpg

SC_article_2.jpg

SC_article_4.jpg

Attachments

• SC_article_3.jpg
    SC_article_3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
You and I are the only ones that I know that that talk about how some techniques block the vision and hides another technique. I don't hear or see many martial arts instructors talk about the concept and limitation of the field of vision as it applies to martial arts applications. Hopefully that will change in the near future.
In my experience it's a concept you see in several arts (including BJJ)
I'd also add that folk extend the concept to cover your opponent's ability to feel the technique when contact is involved

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen too many times in UFC, they all started with striking like punch or kick so you raise your hands to block and stand up high, then they shoot low. It is very scary. It's not like they keep shooting low, that would be easy to defend. The whole thing is about combination of strikes and grapple.
yeah that's the set up. You have to make the guy commit to a high stance. "Attack high drop low" is a basic set up. If the person has weak legs then you just force him to keep using a low stance and he'll naturally stand tall for you because his legs are tired. You'll sometimes see this in BJJ and Wrestling, where they bend over instead of bend their knees. The dangerous guys are those who can bend their knees and move quickly.

I don't see as much shooting and I notice people using footwork to get away from the shoot. The footwork of MMA today is very amazing, they dance with a wider stance bouncing back and fore and moves very fast. It's a workout just dancing the footwork. But those people are so in shape they don't seems to get tire doing that.
the body can't leave the spot unless the feet moves it. Moving the head only gets the head out of danger and leaves the body in danger. I attack the body and legs often because of this. The best thing is that the legs and body are rarely out of range and are easier to close the gap. The bonus is that people forget that they have legs and will often neglect defending the lower half.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back in those days, my weight was about 185 lb. In 1984 US SC tournament, I competed in super heavy weight (above 200 lb) just because I wanted one of my students to have a chance to win the heavy weight champion that year (and he did). I was the super heavy weight champion that year (1984). I stopped my tournament competition after that year.

These pictures shows my weight at that period of time.

View attachment 28671

View attachment 28674
View attachment 28673
I like that big quote

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah that's the set up. You have to make the guy commit to a high stance. "Attack high drop low" is a basic set up. If the person has weak legs then you just force him to keep using a low stance and he'll naturally stand tall for you because his legs are tired. You'll sometimes see this in BJJ and Wrestling, where they bend over instead of bend their knees. The dangerous guys are those who can bend their knees and move quickly.

the body can't leave the spot unless the feet moves it. Moving the head only gets the head out of danger and leaves the body in danger. I attack the body and legs often because of this. The best thing is that the legs and body are rarely out of range and are easier to close the gap. The bonus is that people forget that they have legs and will often neglect defending the lower half.
Notice in the last few years in UFC, they dance in moderate low stance in&out, in&out, so they never stand still. Shooting is not nearly as effective as in like 10 to 15 years ago because they move away so fast even on a lower stance. It's very obvious on the evolution in UFC fights. They have less ground fights as it's much harder to pin the guy down on the floor. It's scary how fast they evolve. That's why Royce Gracie got his butt kicked over 10 years ago because he did not evolve with time. Also he is not strong enough, Matt Huges literally over powered him, flatten him and rain down punches to end the fight. Not only technique improved, those MMA fighter do weight training to get stronger. You can see their physiques, it's not from just fight training.

Yes, it's important to go high and low in the mix. As simple as the stuffs I practice, I always attack high and low, or low and high. That's the reason the front kick is so important to me. I use kicks for lows, round kick to the knee, front kick to the stomach. Then punches to the face and body. All my combination are like this.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Possible sparring with MMA guy tonight. I need to decide on what my focus will be. I'm feeling a little low energy so probably not low stances.
I may just observe movements and reactions to see if he has any habitual responses that I can exploit.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Possible sparring with MMA guy tonight.
Could you help me to test something?

Just use your "double hook punches" in defense to knock down your opponent's straight punches. Please record your successful rate. 50%, 75%, ...

Also try to use it in offense and let me know your successful rate (such as to put your opponent in defense mode).

I have always believed, why should I dodge your punches, or cover my head? When you punch me, I will punch your arm.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Just use your "double hook punches" in defense to knock down your opponent's straight punches. Please record your successful rate. 50%, 75%, ...

Also try to use it in offense and let me know your successful rate (such as to put your opponent in defense mode).

I have always believed, why should I dodge your punches, or cover my head? When you punch me, I will punch your arm.

I'll give it a try if he feeds me some straight punches. I probably would measure success rate based on how many times I try at a certain level of understanding. In other words the better my understanding of the technique the higher my success rate and that only if my opponent doesn't figure out the counter for the technique.

Im expecting the third punch to be a hook but I'll try to remember to record it for analysis.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll give it a try if he feeds me some straight punches.
Thanks in advance!

It may be interested to find out, when your opponent uses straight punch at you, you can:

1. dodge.
2. cover your head.
3. block.
4. attack his arm.

which method is better? 3 and 4 may be similar. But 3 is a conservative defense. 4 is an aggressive offense. The mind set is different.

Of course after you can knock down his jab with your hook, your cross. hook, uppercut, overhand, ... can land on his head.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may be interested to find out, when your opponent uses straight punch at you, you can:

1. dodge.
2. cover your head.
3. block.
4. attack his arm.
I didn't specifically look for these so I will just based it on the options I saw.

1. Dodge yes, I felt I could do this with no problem
2. Cover you head. I did this
3. Block. I was able to do this
4. Attack his arm. It didn't even come across my mind to do this tonight. Well I take that back. One of the Jow Ga techniques I had would have been able to attack his arm. It was easier for me to pull off that technique with him, than other's I sparred with. The better the jab the more of an opportunity I have to pull it be successful with this.

I'm leaning more toward 4. I'll have to give a try on a day when I'm working on offense.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

This seems to work with the straight punches but if the opponent sends a hook then it becomes a problem. The only way I think I can make this work beyond 2 circles is to force him to switch from Linear strikes to covering. I'm not sure if I want to raise the sparring to that intensity level yet. Maybe speed will force my opponent to change?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This seems to work with the straight punches but if the opponent sends a hook then it becomes a problem.
IMO, to use circular punch to deal with circular punch may not be the best option. To deal with circular punch, you may try

- rhino guard (stiff arms with big fist),
- Chinese zombie arms (stiff arms without the big fist), or
- 45 degree upward WC Bon Shou (bended stiff arms).

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, to use circular punch to deal with circular punch may not be the best option. To deal with circular punch, you may try
It's not . The problem is that the opponent's punch combo dosesn't stay linear. The first 2 will most likely be linear but the the 3rd punch will most likely be circular like a hook. I wouldn't do this technique more than twice unless I could turn my circular motion into strikes at his head. This will then force him to abandon striking and cover or evade. For me and the reduced power. My only option is to move off center after the second circle, this will protect me from the hook. I haven't tried this yet but from tonight I'm thinking I can throw my own hook as I move away from the incoming hook.

Latest Discussions