Training student in light sparring session

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought it would be good to share a video of me training one of the students in the school. Some background on this video.
As some of you remember, I spar to learn and I try to give my students that same opportunity. Not as exciting as some of the other videos, but the method works. Student eventually figures out the timing and distance he needs to use one of the long fist techniques. I allow students to hit me, but I'm not sure why he didn't. The noise that I make at the end is because he caught me by surprise so I was just waiting for that shot to the gut. But he never connected.

He covered some good distance while chasing me down. He did really well considering that he was probably with the school for less than a year at the time of this video. He really wanted to learn how to use Kung Fu, so he did his best to try to use it during sparring sessions like this.

Anyway enjoy and feel free to point out things that were bad. That way newbies on this site can have a better understanding of what not to do. If I have energy I'll share the reason why I did some of the things in hopes it may help fellow instructors or give some ideas about approaches you can take when sparring.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He has a lot of wasted kicks [biggest thing i noticed] - neither intended contact not a setup/distance scaring tactic, also brings the guard very tight or dropped when kicking