More mma fighters stop sparring

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So donald cerone who's known as a adrenaline junkie fighter who does extreme sports like bull riding, cliff jumping etc has said he now doesn't spar at all now because it was affecting him and he nearly passed out a training session. Also Jamie Varner said about how hard sparring is wrong as that's what can cause more brain damage over the years because most fighters spar more than they fight. Plus Cain Velasquez is always Injured and he spars hard with DC. Personally I don't think sparring it's a huge necessary thing I mean sure it's good and helpful but I don't think you /need/ it to be a good fighter I mean look at cerone he doesn't spar now and he's looked his best he's ever looked. I think everything you get in sparring you can get from drills and pad work.

At our gym we properly spar maybe once a month if that the rest it's pads and drills.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
He does spar, just light striking, which is smart.

Cerrone doesn’t spar anymore, teases UFC 205 fight

"Sparring is all I did, that's what I used to do. I thought that was getting ready for a fight, would just be f**king throwing down. Now I don't spar at all, and all I do is drill, because drilling is the most important thing you can do."

"I feel like the little guy at the Wal-Mart check-in, clicking. Every time you take a hit to your head, he pushes the button. How many people go into Wal-Mart before it's full? I don't know. I have no idea. How many more do I got? How many epic f**king brawls did me and (teammate) Leonard Garcia have in the training room? I don't know. So, like, I'll get in there and move around with Andrei (Arlovski) and move around with all of the heavyweights, but light, MMA sparring. Heavy takedowns and grappling, but real light striking. But the days of putting the big gloves on and throwing down? Hell no."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thinking that heavy sparring is detrimental has been around for a long time and many fighters don't spar heavy. There's is a small band of macho types who claim they spar hard and heavy all the time but that's either a lie or sheer stupidity.
Sparring 'properly' don't mean bashing each other it means sparring smart.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For guys like Cerrone, he's already put in the ring time. No need to put in any more.

For everyone else, have to have some, obviously, but I'd go easy if I were you. Learn from the past.

To borrow a slogan from the United Negro College Fund, which I believe applies here in a different way - "The mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've met Cowboy a couple times, I know his sister, and I see his mother regularly. They're both happy that he's getting less hard shots to the head...

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do your fighters only spar once a month?
Yeah pretty much maybe a couple more times but yeah and whenever they fight they always have success I've won all my fights I've had and others have won local titles and others have won different medals in the WAKO world championships

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've met Cowboy a couple times, I know his sister, and I see his mother regularly. They're both happy that he's getting less hard shots to the head...
You can't not love the guy he's not a whiner like some he's always looking to fight as much as possible and he's never in a boring fight win or lose and at welterweight he's looked amazing finishing 3 tough guys. There's rumours of him fighting lawlor next now that would be an amazing fight I reckon that would be fight of the year. I'd also like to see him fight wonderboy

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So donald cerone who's known as a adrenaline junkie fighter who does extreme sports like bull riding, cliff jumping etc has said he now doesn't spar at all now because it was affecting him and he nearly passed out a training session. Also Jamie Varner said about how hard sparring is wrong as that's what can cause more brain damage over the years because most fighters spar more than they fight. Plus Cain Velasquez is always Injured and he spars hard with DC. Personally I don't think sparring it's a huge necessary thing I mean sure it's good and helpful but I don't think you /need/ it to be a good fighter I mean look at cerone he doesn't spar now and he's looked his best he's ever looked. I think everything you get in sparring you can get from drills and pad work.

At our gym we properly spar maybe once a month if that the rest it's pads and drills.
Pretty much in line with the discussion about sparring to learn vs sparring to win. Sort of.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most of your time should be spent getting yourself in tip-top shape for the fight.
Just my inexperienced opinion.

Latest Discussions