Meeting your instructor in the street

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
We're not distant in the least - we're all very close. See, I knew it would be hard to grasp.

It's cool- that's how you show your respect, even out of class. There are no right or wrong answers I'm looking for, just seeing how people feel on this issue. It might be better if I could have it as a poll, but I can't do that.:asian:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I greet him the same way I would in the school. However, I must admit it was strange seeing him the first time in his street clothes. I was with another student of his at the time and he said "this is weird, you should be in gi pants and a tshirt" lol.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whenever I meet my instructor out of dojo, I always refer to him as "sensei". I don't know, but I just couldn't talk to him using his first name. I'm kind of used to talking about him with others as "sensei" or "Matsuoi sensei". On the other hand, whenever he calls me, he always starts "Hi, it's Yuji". When talking with my seniors, I just use their names

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live in a small town with two TKD schools, although I do not attend either of these schools I do from time to time come into contact with the instructors of these schools. And every so often when I go to the daycare to pick up my youngest daughter I run into one of the TKD instructors in uniform. He teaches a class at the daycare. I don’t know if it was right or wrong but since he is a 4th Dan I did approach with my right fist clinched with the left hand covering the right (an abbreviated salutation). And he just returned the salutation. Since this is how I salute my instructor as I enter the school that is how I would approach my instructor if I saw him on the street. Just my .02

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's different with different instructors. Some want an always-formal relationship, but others think the dojo is the dojo and McDonalds is not. I have no problems either way, but it is hard to know what approach to take sometimes! I err first on the side of formality.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
During our class, we are expected to show respect- say sir, mam, master... Outside of class, it's real relaxed for us. They ask us any question your friend you've had for a while would ask.

When I would me GM Presas, I would say, "Hey Professor how is it going?", he once explained to me the Grand Master sounds too much like Grand Father and salutes and bows were not necessary off the "mats".

When I meet with Manong Ted Buot, I say, "Hi Sir", or "How are you Manong Ted?". This allows for a respectful greeting as did the professor title, without telling everyone you are a martial artist.

When I first started and the local instructors were either my friends, and I called them by their first name off the mats and out of uniform, otherwise ie was Sir or Mr in class or in uniform.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have all of the adults call me by my first name. The kids use Mr. Diem. All my curent instructors have me call them by their first name.
This has not always been the case, when I was training in Aikido wherever I was I had to bow and in a loud voice say osu!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The adult usally say hello Terry and the childern address with sir or MR. but never ever Master outside the MA enviroment.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
Pretty informally, outside of class they're just people like me or you, however, there's nothing wrong with referring to anybody as sir or ma'am just out of politeness...

That's a darn fine point. Good manners don't cost anything and I think our society would be better served if, while retaining the subsequent advances in equal rights, we treated each other with the courtesy of half a century ago.

Regarding the original question, it depends upon the instructor and the system. A slight, but barely noticeable to those not looking for it, bow is usually the best course, IMO.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's different with different instructors. Some want an always-formal relationship, but others think the dojo is the dojo and McDonalds is not. I have no problems either way, but it is hard to know what approach to take sometimes! I err first on the side of formality.

... usually the safest and best course.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
This aint feudal Japan....outside the scope of class he/she is just another person. Common courtesy and politeness is all thats required IMHO.

Right on the mark! You should treat them as you would want to be treated. It is the basic Golden Rule. Keep it short and simple.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always made a short bow and shook hands. Called them sir. But, then, I stall call my 7th grade music teacher Mrs :)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the studio we call all the instructors by their first names (except for one, who goes by "mr".) So I see em at schnucks (grocery store) I say, hey, whats goin on steve? and that's that.

Epson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would say "sir" if it is a breaf encounter.
I would keep saying it, untill the instructor would ask me not to do that.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I follow my extensive training received by watching old kung-fu movies:

I sneer and mock my teacher when encountered as my rogue band of assassins attack him. As he falls in defeat I loudly declare the superiority of my style over his and proclaim myself "Master".

This has worked well on many separate occasions.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am surprised at the variety of answers on this thread. There is only one correct procedure.

First, drop down to your knees.
Second, bend down and kiss your instructor's shoes.
Third, immediately jump to your feet with a kiai.
Finally, buy your instructor a beer.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
what if your not old enough to buy alcohol?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
what if your not old enough to buy alcohol?

Then my approach is your best option. A 17 yr old female should have no trouble in convincing many rogue assassins to do her bidding.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I'm not really a beginner, but I thought this is as good of a place to ask as any. What is the norm in the way of showing respect to your instructor when you just run into them on the street? This happened to me the other day while going to a restaurant- he seemed fine with shaking hands, but someone said in a book, to bow, like you're in class. I know I've had the tendency to bow just because it was habit. I'm curious on what everyone around has to say about it.
I guess that would depend on two things, the country you live in and the size of the instructor's ego.

If you were in, say Japan, the culture is different there, so maybe bowing is in order. But.. I think that in the USA where I am, a "greeting" and possibly a handshake should be sufficient. All the instructors I know are people like everyone else I know. Just my .02 cents worth.

Latest Discussions